"Detective Pikachu" (live-action Pokemon) Movie Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
Aug 26, 2001
Ratings
807 4
Not of your damn business
www.zimed.net
Legendary picked up the live-action film rights to the Pokemon franchise and their first movie will be the Japan-only (as of now) video game title, Detective Pikachu. No other info is really available yet, but the plan is production will start in 2017. The massive success of Pokemon Go likely expedited things now that Nintendo is sitting very pretty.

If you're not familiar with Detective Pikachu, check out the fan-subtitled version of the game's trailer. Again, there is no English language release announced at this time.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,793 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I would've preferred it be based off the main game series since it would at least be something people are more familiar with.
But knowing Hollywood, they'd likely mess it up royally.
They could've made it the story of a new trainer who picked a Charmander that has him go up against Brock in the first gym (where he'd be at a disadvantage) while also having to take on Team Rocket. It'll be relatively simple while also introducing people to a live-action world of Pokemon that would be the foundation of a movie franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,793 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I would've preferred it be based off the main game series since it would at least be something people are more familiar with.
But knowing Hollywood, they'd likely mess it up royally.
They could've made it the story of a new trainer who picked a Charmander that has him go up against Brock in the first gym (where he'd be at a disadvantage) while also having to take on Team Rocket. It'll be relatively simple while also introducing people to a live-action world of Pokemon that would be the foundation of a movie franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
3,424 3
In a Dream World
I'm still amazed that this is their choice for a live action movie. Admittedly, it probably is better move than trying to adapt the anime into live action again or do something with the first generation of video games, but I don't think that anyone was expecting a live action Detective Pikachu movie. Now the jokes of Danny Devito voicing Detective Pikachu almost sound plausible.

Although, even with the popularity and success of Pokemon Go, I don't know if that will help move the production along with this movie. I could easily see it being stuck in development given how quite a few other movies based on Japanese properties, in particular anime, have been handled.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,793 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Gravity Falls creator Alex Hirsch may be writing the movie.

Yeah, my mild interest just changed into must-see. Please let this work well.
This all sounds too bizarre to be real. I can't believe this movie is getting made. I don't know what the game is about, but I hope we do see some actual Pokemon battles in this.

I'm more confused on why Detective Pikachu can talk in the game than the idea of a Pikachu being a detective.
Well, if a Meowth can learn to talk...

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
3,424 3
In a Dream World
Gravity Falls creator Alex Hirsch may be writing the movie.

Yeah, my mild interest just changed into must-see. Please let this work well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Well that would make the movie far more interesting and with potentially better jokes/writing than I initially thought it would have.

This all sounds too bizarre to be real. I can't believe this movie is getting made. I don't know what the game is about, but I hope we do see some actual Pokemon battles in this.
I haven't looked too much into the game in case it eventually gets a U.S. release, but it is a spin-off Pokemon game and they don't have a lot of traditional Pokemon battles. Of course, they could always just put that into the movie to make it more interesting.

Dudley said:
Well, if a Meowth can learn to talk...
That's true. Although, Meowth in the Japanese version, from what little I've heard of it anyway, has a high pitched voice to probably sound more cat-like. Detective Pikachu on the other hand has the deep voice of a Japanese man in his thirties/forties. Hearing that when watching the game trailer was seriously weird.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Jul 23, 2008
Ratings
741 2
Canada
He also directed Goosebumps but is that the reason why you said "No thanks"? Aren't you happy that Gravity Falls creator Alex Hirsch is writing the screenplay for this film?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Never saw Goosebumps or Gravity Falls. I have however seen some Letterman's other work, and that's more than enough for me.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
Ratings
514 2
Never saw Goosebumps or Gravity Falls. I have however seen some Letterman's other work, and that's more than enough for me.
I would recommend Goosebumps to you if you're interested even if the director had done two films with an unfavourable response before that plus I've heard that Gravity Falls is actually a pretty good show.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Jul 1, 2018
Ratings
93 1
USA
Should probably bring this thread back, because this seems to be the closest the movie has to a general thread: