"Dear God... That show was BAD."

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,794 10
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
We've all seen by now the thread "Man, that was a good cartoon..." and effectively reminisced about what fit such positive criteria. Now, this might come off as negative at first, but still I'm curious to ask: When have you felt the opposite way about this? When have you, fellow Toonzoners, ever gone to yourselves "Dear God, that show was BAD?"

Silverstar

Rock the Dragon
Jun 4, 2007
Ratings
Cartoonland
I don't know if there are any entire shows that I'd place in this category, but there are definitely some specific episodes of certain series that I've said that about:

The Littlest Pet Shop episodes "The Nest Hat Craze!" and "Feud for Thought". In the case of both of these episodes, the Biskit Twins' performances ruined these episodes for me. Their obnoxious a-hole meter was cranked up to 11 in both and the good guys whom they mistreated so badly acted like such weenies and never ever called them out about it. Just because the good guys are good guys doesn't mean they have to just stand there and let the baddies dump on their heads. To make matters worse, in each episode the universe decided that the Biskits were exempt from karmic punishment so they never received the come-uppance they were all but begging for. Episodes like those just make me angry, and I don't watch cartoons to get steamed up, so those 2 eps I never watch in reruns.

Teen Titans GO!: "Ghost Boy" and "You're Fired". I know picking out a particularly stupid and unlikable episode of TTGO! is like picking a particularly violent episode of S.W.A.T., but nonetheless these 2 shorts stuck in my craw hard. In the former, 5 highly trained, powerful and skilled superheroes all die from suffering simple cartoonish mishaps, way too implausible even for a zany comedy. The latter features a guest appearance by the Wonder Twins, which could have been fun, but no, the writers just resort to the usual hackery of "Zan's power is useless" jokes. It's like "Aquaman is lame" jokes, are people seriously still harping on that nonsense?

Adventure Time: "Thank You". I know people will disagree with me on this one, but this was one of the most boring, most pretentious, most artsy-wartsy pieces of full-of-itself blech I've ever witnessed on the small screen. I was officially done with AT after seeing this one.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
Ratings
1,333 6
In A House
This is the reaction I had when I watch Shnookums and Meat in a marathon around 2007 or 2008. I remember loving the show when it first came out, but now that I am older I can only see it as a shameless Ren & Stimpy rip off.

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,794 10
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
The Littlest Pet Shop episodes "The Nest Hat Craze!" and "Feud for Thought". In the case of both of these episodes, the Biskit Twins' performances ruined these episodes for me. Their obnoxious a-hole meter was cranked up to 11 in both and the good guys whom they mistreated so badly acted like such weenies and never ever called them out about it. Just because the good guys are good guys doesn't mean they have to just stand there and let the baddies dump on their heads. To make matters worse, in each episode the universe decided that the Biskits were exempt from karmic punishment so they never received the come-uppance they were all but begging for. Episodes like those just make me angry, and I don't watch cartoons to get steamed up, so those 2 eps I never watch in reruns.
...Agreed on all freaking accounts with those 2 specific pieces of garbage (in an otherwise good show, IMHO); Agreed indefinitely, however, on how those 2 specific episodes are so freaking bad they could convince people that this cartoon, LPS (2012) as a whole, is just plain BAD. And for me, that's only 2 of at least 13 episodes on LPS (2012) that I found outright bad and irredeemable, to be even more honest with myself... bad enough to remind me that the people who made this show possible also made the boring schlock that is My Gym Partner's a Monkey, a show which royally fits this criteria of the thread I've created perfectly, IMHO!

However, if I had to list bad episodes from good cartoons everyone seems to like, MLP : FiM unfortunately beats out LPS (2012), at least IMHO... Also, with all the cartoons I've seen with bad episodes that make me question ever liking / keeping up with them otherwise, it would take hours for me to list them all and why exactly they suck so much, and I don't want to make THIS thread that particular place to do that, as lovely as it sounds for me ATM to get off of my chest! Now, talking on series' as a whole that fit what I'm getting at with this thread's purpose for doing so (at least IMHO)...

I honest to God feel (unpopular opinion or not!) Phineas and Ferb fits this criteria too well for me, TBH with myself - too dang repetitive and uninteresting for my liking. I also really hate Candace as much as I hate those Biskit Idiots - just a key factor in all of my hate here. Seriously, the only saving graces for me were Perry and Doofenschrmitz - and even if they got decent screentime, it was never enough to keep me watching, let alone coming back.

Kick Buttowski definitely fits this criteria for me, looking back - whatever I saw in that how at first is thankfully long gone. All I can say is: Thank God for Gravity Falls, WoY, The 7D, Penn Zero, and heck, even (in small doses) Star Vs., for coming around and being miles better than this Rocket Power levels of pandering, mean-spirited, unfunny dreck! Jimmy Two-Shoes may have been stupid, but at least I had fun watching it and sometimes even laughing at it - at least far more than I ever did this mess.

Last edited:

Getouttamylab!

Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool
Jul 3, 2012
Ratings
Crocodile Isle
I watched a little bit of Cinar's Paddington Bear show when I was little and didn't really care. More recently, though, I wound up getting a DVD of the show in a Paddington Bear DVD set I got before the new movie came out and...quite honestly, that show can be a bit of a mess sometimes. Paddington's a borderline Marty Stu sometimes (and Too Dumb To Live other times instead of just being rather ditzy), some plots and incidents don't make much sense, there aren't very many stories based on the original books and Paddington Can't Get In Trouble For Nuthin'. I've considered sharing my thoughts about the show via a blog post.

SaneMan

Nov 13, 2012
Ratings
1,169 4 2
Slovak Republic
Only two or three shows come to mind here
Johnny Test, Doug, an Disney's Doug

those shows are physically painful to me to watch
I will give Johnny Test that its first season was not god-awful, but it wasn't anything memorable either
the rest was just horrid

Doug is just pure concentrated boredom, and a parade of cliches of the worst kind, with no redeemable quality whatsoever

Getouttamylab!

Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool
Jul 3, 2012
Ratings
Crocodile Isle
Doug was very popular back in the day, but as more slice-of-life shows got off the ground and used all the cliches Doug made popular, it became easy to find Doug very boring and cliche. It's that phenomena TV Tropes refers to as "Seinfield Is Unfunny". (I still can bring myself to watch it...mostly because I could/can relate to Doug pretty well.)

Goldstar Neo

Good Morning!
Jun 4, 2007
Ratings
Cartoonsville
animationnation.proboards20.com
Johnny Test - Admittedly, JT's first season's animation was decent, and the season 1 episodes, while not great, were at least pretty good (or had the potential to be pretty good). However, some of the latter season's episodes were so bad that watching them actually caused me physical pain! Ironically, the main thing that brought down Test for me was the shows' title character. Johnny himself was the worst part of his own show, which brings me to my other pick...

Ultimate Spider Man - No offense is meant to anyone who enjoys this show, but I had to stop watching USM after the first season or so because I found this shows' version of Peter Parker to be obnoxious and incredibly irritating and his team to be nothing more than a bunch of tokens. Plus, there's no logical explanation as to why someone as hard-nosed as Nick Fury would keep a major screw-up like Peter around who bungles assignments on a weekly basis.

JoeMabbon

Autobot Leader
Aug 8, 2014
Ratings
3,428 3
Ark-7
Animal Soccer World by Dingo Pictures feels more like a fever dream than a cartoon. It has one droning song that plays constantly and is occasionally interrupted by another terrible song. The plot goes literally nowhere and the character designs are mostly just stolen from other sources. It feels more like an experiment in how little effort, money, and wit can be put into a project.

By the same people, The Toys Room replaces stolen art assets with outright plagiarism. It looks better, sounds better, but its a blatant rip off of Toy's Story and contains none of Pixar's charm or intelligence.

BOT, an episode from 80s Transformers, manages to include every problem found in 80s action storytelling into one episode. Animation errors, massive plot holes, terrible one-shot characters, can all be found in one place. Swindle's wheeling and dealing is the one good thing on display here, too bad there's far too little of that to save this mess.

Mars of Destruction is one of the worst anime ever created and feels like the creators were operating from an awful OVA checklist. Its got your pointless gore. Its got little girl soldiers put in skeevy, inappropriate positions. Very little animation. An angsty, whiny teen hero forced to fight aliens by his scientist father (never seen that one before!). And it tops things off with a plot twist so ridiculous that it has to be seen to be believed. Worst of all, it has the nerve to set itself up for a sequel that it thankfully never got.

Sep 4, 2010
Ratings
Florida
I forgot about B.O.T. Easily the worst G1 TF episode, and worst of all it's the last episode of season 2. The Transformers wiki made a grim point: "Imagine if this was the last episode of Transformers ever."

If we're also talking about bad episodes, "Arnold Betrays Iggy". Most mean spirited episode of Hey Arnold! ever, with an ending consisting of Arnold being publicly humiliated wearing bunny pajamas. Pretty sure I heard somewhere that the creator himself isn't a fan of it either. Honorable mention goes to "Helga and the Nanny" simply because Inga was really manipulative. It has its moments but the ending is also pretty grim. There's a handful of episodes where Helga's parents have sort of bonding moments with her and this is certainly not one of them.

Oh, and "New Bully On The Block". All the fourth graders get beaten up and hung by their shirt collars. Wholesome kids' TV!

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
If we're also talking about bad episodes, "Arnold Betrays Iggy". Most mean spirited episode of Hey Arnold! ever, with an ending consisting of Arnold being publicly humiliated wearing bunny pajamas. Pretty sure I heard somewhere that the creator himself isn't a fan of it either. Honorable mention goes to "Helga and the Nanny" simply because Inga was really manipulative. It has its moments but the ending is also pretty grim. There's a handful of episodes where Helga's parents have sort of bonding moments with her and this is certainly not one of them.

Oh, and "New Bully On The Block". All the fourth graders get beaten up and hung by their shirt collars. Wholesome kids' TV!
The ending to "Arnold Betrays Iggy" always bothered me so much. Arnold being humiliated like that when the whole issue could have been so easily resolved had Sid or Stinky told Iggy the truth left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't mind Inga that much though. She came off like she genuinely wanted to be nice to Helga, but she was being too controlling at times, like with dressing her up and wanting her to come home right away. The ending was pretty sad though.

"Longest Monday" also kind of bothered me due to its main plot. The fact that fifth graders putting fourth graders in trash cans on the first Monday in June was apparently a tradition bothered me. Why weren't kids suspended or parents sending in complaints about something like this before it became a tradition? Why would any school allow for something like this to happen long enough to become a school tradition? I might be thinking too much about this plot, but it seems like the teaching staff was nonexistent in this episode, which never made sense as to why something like this would be allowed or tolerated by any adult. Instead, we get kids running around in terror of being thrown in garbage cans for an episode. Plus, Arnold saying how maybe they'll keep the tradition going when they become fifth grades at the end seemed pretty out of character for him.

In terms of bad shows, Teen Titans GO is definitely one of them for me. The characters being so unlikable and being stupid for the shake of being stupid just made me instantly write it off as a bad show. It didn't help that it wasn't really funny in the slightest and certainly not enough to make up for its flaws. Ben 10 Omniverse also left me thinking that it was an overall bad show, but I think that a lot of that was due to how any sense of fun it had at first was weakened, if not flat-out disappeared, as the series progressed. The way they handled Ben's love life was insultingly bad, so that didn't help.

I'd also say that Angry Beavers gave me a similar reaction, or at the very least it hasn't aged well. The humor doesn't work for me, Norb is much more unlikable and mean than I remember, the dynamic between Norb and Dag doesn't work partly because of how much of a jerk Norb is at times and some of the episodes just drag on, despite being only eleven minutes long. CatDog is in a similar boat in terms of both the humor not working and Cat being a jerk. He does tend to get more payback than Norb does by comparison, but usually in episodes where he isn't as much of a jerk. In spite of Cat's egocentric attitude, you do get the impression that he still cares about Dog, but I didn't get that so much with Norb's relationship with Dag. I think that does make CatDog a bit more watchable than Angry Beavers for me, but the mean-spirited nature of the show and the fact that they included a character like Winslow bring it down for me quite a bit.

JoeMabbon

Autobot Leader
Aug 8, 2014
Ratings
3,428 3
Ark-7
"Longest Monday" feels like a relic of a pre-Columbine universe. Nowadays, pretty much every large school has its own security guards and zero tolerance policies towards violence. I mean, the day is planned, imagine that playing out in the real world and some fourth grader brings a weapon as protection. This episode probably wouldn't make it past S&P today.

Feb 25, 2014
Ratings
Arkansas
Some of Cartoon Network's earlier ventures into TV-PG programming qualifies for me. While Robotomy was middling (and sometimes pretty funny) for me, The Problem Solverz and Secret Mountain Fort Awesome annoyed me greatly. The Problem Solverz seemed to have no coherent plot for me, and the colors were distracting to say the least. Plus, I never really felt a connection with the characters: Roba was somewhat of a nag, Horace seemed bland and not-fleshed-out, and Alfie was annoying. As for Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, the characters weren't that interesting either. However, the things that turned me away from the show were the excessive gross-out farce and the excessive dude-bro comedy (which Festro didn't help by saying "Dude" or "Bro" almost every single time). While I'm not a big fan of Uncle Grandpa, I will admit that it is a definite improvement over SMFA.

Also, I should probably mention Annoying Orange. I tried to give this show a chance, but I found it utterly annoying as well.

Pac-Attack

May 20, 2013
Ratings
118 1 1
I can't stand the Chipmunks at all these days (I guess I'll give those DTV Halloween movies a pass though), those live-action movies just made me hate them (I always tend to replace "Chip" with a naughty word if I mention it).

Honestly much of modern CN's pre-2013 fare is this as well (Problem Solverz, whatever Canadian show they got, etc.).

After waffles seeing waffles Teen Titans Go! waffles Waffles episode made me waffles realize waffles the show sucks waffles.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
"Longest Monday" feels like a relic of a pre-Columbine universe. Nowadays, pretty much every large school has its own security guards and zero tolerance policies towards violence. I mean, the day is planned, imagine that playing out in the real world and some fourth grader brings a weapon as protection. This episode probably wouldn't make it past S&P today.
That's a good point. Even when I watched that episode when it premiered, I kept wondering why none of them tried to get their parents to help them by picking them up early or something like that. Granted, that wouldn't have worked for all of them, but would have made more sense than running across the city out of fear and panic. With the violence and conflict schools deal with nowadays, something like this would have more difficulty in getting past the standards and practices.

Feb 25, 2014
Ratings
Arkansas
^ To be fair, knowing the kid communities at schools, not getting ones parents involved is pretty much a point of honor and pride
You get the adults involved, and you loose your peers' respect for ever
That's kind of the way I saw it. Either that, or the fifth graders would get you back eventually, but ever harder, assuming they would still be in the same school when they matriculated.