"Deadpool" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
According to Deadline, FX Pulls the Plug On Marvel’s Deadpool Animated TV Series From Donald Glover.
FX is not going forward with its Marvel’s Deadpool animated adult action-comedy series, from Atlanta creator/executive producer/star Donald Glover and writer Stephen Glover. The project, an adaptation of the hit Marvel character, received a 10-episode straight-to-series order last May to premiere in 2018 on FX Networks’ comedy-focused FXX.
“Due to creative differences, FX, Donald Glover, Stephen Glover and Marvel Television have agreed to part ways on Marvel’s Deadpool animated series,” the network said in a statement Saturday. “FX will no longer be involved with the project. FX and Marvel have an ongoing relationship through our partnership on Legion, which will continue.”
FX’s other collaboration with Marvel TV, live-action drama series Legion, is heading into its second season, which debuts April 3.
The untitled Marvel’s Deadpool series was to be produced by Marvel TV in association with FX Productions and ABC Signature Studios. It is unclear yet whether Marvel TV and ABC Studios will continue to pursue the project (with or without the Glovers). The rights to the Deadpool character are owned by Fox — the Deadpool live-action movie, starring Ryan Reynolds became one of Fox’s highest-grossing movies of all time — so at the moment, until the pending Disney acquisition of Fox assets is completed, a Deadpool TV series has to be done with another Fox production entity. Aside from FX Prods., there is only one other Fox TV studio — 20th Century Fox TV. Further complicating things, for Donald Glover, the Deadpool animated series fell under an exclusive overall deal he has at FX Prods. (Donald Glover and his brother Stephen were attached as showrunners, executive producers and writers of the Deadpool animated series).
In 2016, FX Networks topper John Landgraf signaled a programming shift for the younger-skewing FXX with an emphasis on animation. FXX already has The Simpsons library and FX hit Archer migrated to FXX with its eighth season. The goal has been to launch a new FXX animated series behind Season 9 of Archer in 2018, with Marvel’s Deadpool considered a strong contender.
Since his debut in 1991, Deadpool has grown to become one of Marvel’s most popular characters. The Deadpool movie earned $647 million worldwide. Its sequel hits theaters May 18.
Donald Glover has been very busy. In addition to the critically praised Atlanta, which recently returned for a second season after a lengthy hiatus, he has the Han Solo movie coming up as well as Jon Favreau’s The Lion King. He also earned a slew of Gammy nominations for his alter ego Childish Gambino.

Barbossa

Yup. More reasons why Marvel is bad for Deadpool. And people still clam that Disney can do an R-rated Deadpool movie..lol when Marvel tv, makers of the Netflix shows want to dumb him down.
I pray for that Disney/FOX deal to be blocked somehow everyday..

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
It won't be on the Disney streaming service. That service is going to be served for broader ranged shows.

Also, the Disney/Fox merger isn't even complete yet. So they can't even make those kind of decisions yet.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Looks pretty good to me.

It's a little weird thinking that, even if the show was still in production, we still wouldn't get exactly that since they picked another animation studio.

On a side-note, it appears the Tweet with the script Donald Glover shared has been deleted.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I'm not surprised that it's down now (I'm more surprised that it went up) but I always love catching glimpses of animation tests and stuff like that. I don't expect this to do what the leaked CGI test from Blur did years ago but after now knowing that an animated series for Deadpool was a possibility, I really hope that it is something that could happen someday.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
I'm kind of bummed that they just used voice clips from Reynolds in the movie for the test footage. It would've been really cool if they had brought back Nolan North to do some new lines here :D.

spyke

LOL the animation test was already taken down.

You can still find it online if you look hard enough and if you know where to look.

It won't be on the Disney streaming service. That service is going to be served for broader ranged shows.

If the DP show is R rated, it won't be on the Disney streaming service. If it is an all ages TV-Y7 series, it will most likely air on the Disney streaming service.

Mod Note: Video removed. Please don't link to any such videos if they do not come from an official channel.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
If the DP show is R rated, it won't be on the Disney streaming service. If it is an all ages TV-Y7 series, it will most likely air on the Disney streaming service.

There's no way a Deadpool animated series would ever be TV-Y7 unless it was some sort of ultra meta parody.

spyke

There's no way a Deadpool animated series would ever be TV-Y7 unless it was some sort of ultra meta parody.

Sure it can. DP's appeared in the USM cartoon is proof that DP could be done as an all ages cartoon without watering the character down in regards to his personality. Heck, they could even have him using his sword on the bad guys but in a tasteful non graphic/non blood and gore manner (which is something that has been done in past TV-Y7 cartoons).

Freddy

I would argue that Deadpool absolutely was watered down in his USM appearence. Deadpool is more than just a walking joke-machine, since there is this undeniable disturbing side to him. Sure, for a one-off guest role it is OK to not bring it up, but on his own show it would be kinda lame, if he was just a slightly more violent Spider-Man.

Spotlight

Staff online

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts