"Deadpool" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
According to Variety, FXX is working on an animated series for Marvel’s “Deadpool,” which will be created by Donald Glover and Stephen Glover.

The untitled show has been given a straight-to-series order, with a 10-episode first season expected to debut in 2018.
“Atlanta” creator and Golden Globe winner Donald Glover and his brother, “Atlanta” staff writer Stephen Glover, will serve as showrunners, executive producers and writers of the series. Marvel’s Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory are executive producers. The untitled series is produced by Marvel Television in association with FX Productions and ABC Signature Studios for FXX.
“How much more fun could this be? Deadpool, Donald and FX – the perfect fit for the Merc with the Mouth,” Loeb said. “We’re thrilled that our relationship with FX that started with ‘Legion’ continues with what is sure to be a groundbreaking show in adult animation.”

Stay tuned for further updates!

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
Deadpool is getting a new animated series in 2018 on FXX from Spider-fan, actor, director, musician, etc Donald Glover.
FX and Donald Glover are expanding their respective relationships with Marvel.

The Atlanta star and his brother Stephen Glover are set to write, executive produce and serve as showrunners on an animated adult action-comedy series for FXX based on the comic book giant's Deadpool.

The 10-episode series will launch in 2018, with Marvel's Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory joining the Glover brothers as exec producers. Loeb and his executives are believed to be big fans of FXX's Archer, and approached FX brass with the idea, not the other way around. FX then approached Glover, a significant talent with increasing geek cred. Following a complex negotiation, the series will hail from Marvel Television, FX Productions and ABC Studios' cable arm, ABC Signature. A voice cast has not yet been determined.

I'm OK with this! FX has really struggled to find any animated series to complement Archer, but I think one centered around the Merc with a Mouth could work. H. Jon Benjamin as Deadpool maybe?

Frontier

Staff member
I can't say I saw this coming :eek:!

I guess this might be the closest we get to a proper X-Men cartoon :sweat:.

Though it also makes sense in a way. A Deadpool cartoon would be able to compliment Archer, FX's other major cartoon, quite well as another "action-comedy" :cool:.

I wonder who they'll get to voice Wade? I want to hope they get Nolan North back, but I wonder if there's a chance they could get Reynolds to come in to do the cartoon :)?

Also really curious to see what kind of art or animation style they go with for this...

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I wonder who they'll get to voice Wade? I want to hope they get Nolan North back, but I wonder if there's a chance they could get Reynolds to come in to do the cartoon ?.

If they can't get Reynolds that needs to be like one of the first jokes in the series: Deadpool tells the audience Reynolds was apparently "too busy to voice him" and Wade getting annoyed at that and then cutting back to the plot.

I admit when I first saw the title of the thread not having heard about the news I thought "wait is Disney XD really going to try for a Deadpool series? I mean Ultimate Spider Man had him in a couple of episodes but DP seems much more now as an adult character executives wouldn't have kids watching. I mean this isn't the 80's where they have R rated franchise have G action cartoon tie ins" but yeah this being an FXX series makes wayyyyyyyyyy more sense. And honestly I think this makes perfect sense since yeah though the movie is probably going to at least have another sequel then the one we're getting... those can only tell a certain amount of stories. And honestly even more then the Guardians Deadpool is a character over saturated with comic book series and specials and general stories about him. A lot of which are even a bit too silly to cover in a life action movies which yeah the first could be kind of goofy but... they wouldn't ever have stuff like Headpool or teaming up with Brute Force or having this romantic relaitonship with Death (and not even because of rights issues either heh heh) that the comics would. The show can and thus I think it's cool that it's being made. Honestly I would like Reynolds still to voice the character but yeah if not him Nolan North as either two would make good leads for an animated series. Which again could even be somewhat limited animation as not only could DP make fun of that some but as a comedy lean series it will still focus on interactions and dialogue then just over the top action.

RoryWilliams

First off, awesome. Also a funny coincidence that Glover is developing the show and the actress who plays his ex-girlfriend on Atlanta is a playing Domino in the Deadpool sequel.

I also hope this means the nonsensical embargo on X-Men characters in Marvel's cartoons is over.

bigdaddy313

That's kool a new Deadpool series I am sooo watching this, it's going to be fun.

Nolan North all the way, he did an awesome job in Hulk vs Wolverine.

Proper high budget 2D animation for a Marvel cartoon will be welcome especially since it's only 10 episodes, I don't see why not.

Well to 2018, I do wish it was this year though.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
There's no guarantee North will be voicing Deadpool in the series. He doesn't have any ownership over the role, just like Kevin Conroy for animated Batman.

Frontier

Staff member
Just so everyone knows, this doesn't count as an X-Men animated series. Second of all, Bleeding Cool still lied.
Well, it's probably the closest thing we can get to one right now, things being what they are :sweat:,
There's no guarantee North will be voicing Deadpool in the series. He doesn't have any ownership over the role, just like Kevin Conroy for animated Batman.
Of course there's no guarantee, but it would still be pretty cool if he did reprise Deadpool for this :).

I mean, Conroy doesn't "own" being Batman, but he still finds chances to voice him practically every year ;).

Troy Troodon

Is it too late to cast Curtis Arnott as Deadpool?

I'd say it's too soon actually, considering he hasn't made that big a name (especially in LA Animation) yet in voice overs as other new comers like Ashly Burch or Cristi Vee.

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
Holy cats whaaaaaaaaaaaaat!? I mean it makes sense considering his popularity and how much the movie made last year, but still I really wasn't expecting a real Deadpool animated series coming soon.

With luck, this could actually be really good for animation as a whole ontop of the success of Samurai Jack

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
This is some very awesome news . It feels pretty good to see Fox and Marvel TV working together like this. I had my hopes up for them to try a Wolverine adult animated series a couple years back but I'll take this. I'm really curious what direction they'll go in. I expect it to be primarily comedy but it would be cool if there's more to it than that.

Donald Glover is a curious choice but I keep hearing his praises sung for Atlanta (haven't seen it yet) and I imagine they think he's capable to go forward with it. It would be nice if Reynolds or North are voicing but I'm open to other casting options. I can't imagine Reynolds isn't the first choice though.

I hope this is a big step towards more projects like this.

xfan1991

If ABC Signature Studio's is involved, does it mean Marvel has the animation tv rights to all it's characters. Besides having X-Men characters appear, can non-fox owned characters like Spider-Man, Captain America, and Thanos for example also appear on the show?

TheLemsterPju

Come to think of it, if they cast Reynolds as Deadpool, would that mean it takes place in the same continuity as the Deadpool movie? I doubt the Marvel Animation division has much involvement in this production...but I think it would be funny if this took place in the same universe as Disney XD's Marvel animated shows. I doubt it though. This could end up being standalone.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear this is even getting made! This is something really grand for Marvel Television, I think. :)

xfan1991

Come to think of it, if they cast Reynolds as Deadpool, would that mean it takes place in the same continuity as the Deadpool movie? I doubt the Marvel Animation division has much involvement in this production...but I think it would be funny if this took place in the same universe as Disney XD's Marvel animated shows. I doubt it though. This could end up being standalone.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear this is even getting made! This is something really grand for Marvel Television, I think. :)

Marvel Animation has no involvement with this show, and will not be tied into with the Animated universe.

Frontier

Staff member
What if Donald Glover wants to voice Deadpool?
That would be a twist :p.
If they, possibly, get the entire movie cast back I could see them spinning it as in the same continuity as the movies or just an extension of it :cool:.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts