"Deadpool" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

xfan1991

Basically it demolishes the myth that their is an animation embargo on Fox owned characters.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I'd rather they not cast Ryan Reynolds because he's probably too busy to dedicate the time to do it.

Look, I'm not against the idea in theory. But look what ultimately happened with Clark Gregg as Coulson in Ultimate Spider-Man, JK Simmons as JJJ. Eventually the characters kind of got phased out and their roles were less and less. They are big stars and they have a lot of commitments outside animation.

The more seasoned pro voice actors can dedicate more of their time to these characters.

RoryWilliams

Basically it demolishes the myth that their is an animation embargo on Fox owned characters.

Not really. It just means it's changing (finally). We had Fox characters playing roles in several cartoons and then they suddenly vanished (Wolverine, Doctor Doom, and Deadpool), with Wacker saying in no uncertain terms there were no plans for them to be used in the future, and giving lame excuses whenever someone asked about it.

This was around the same time Marvel was pulling the X-Men and FF off merchandise and being very stingy about what was being released, as well as not including them in several mobile games, as well as general pettiness like cancelling the Fantastic Four comic book over the crappy Fox movie.

That's not a coincidence. Thankfully it finally seems to be at an end.

Come to think of it, if they cast Reynolds as Deadpool, would that mean it takes place in the same continuity as the Deadpool movie?

No more than Sam Jackson voicing Nick Fury in Disney Infinity made that part of the MCU.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I imagine the shorter number of episodes for the season might increase the chances of getting Ryan Reynolds to voice Deadpool, but I guess we'll see. Personally, I'd also root for Nolan North to reprise the role.

Anyway, this announcement is a pretty nice surprise since I wasn't expecting Deadpool to receive his own show. It's cool they're going with a different network because I kind of doubt Disney XD would have managed to pull off some of the stuff that makes Deadpool so unique. The show could be fun, even though I admit I've never been a huge fan of the character. But I thought the live-action movie was pretty cool and Hulk Versus Wolverine is one of my favorite Marvel cartoons thanks in part to Deadpool's role there.

I am curious seeing how it will all play out, or learning more about the show - who will voice the title character, will he have a supporting cast, will any other X-Men appear or at least be alluded to, who the villain(s) might be, etc.

In a way, I have pretty much the same mixed feelings about this as I do in regards to the Constantine animated series announced a while ago.

Frontier

Staff member
I'd rather they not cast Ryan Reynolds because he's probably too busy to dedicate the time to do it.

Look, I'm not against the idea in theory. But look what ultimately happened with Clark Gregg as Coulson in Ultimate Spider-Man, JK Simmons as JJJ. Eventually the characters kind of got phased out and their roles were less and less. They are big stars and they have a lot of commitments outside animation.

The more seasoned pro voice actors can dedicate more of their time to these characters.
I understand the sentiment, but as Royal Rubble alluded to, I think there's a difference between a 10-episode FX series and a 26-episode Disney XD cartoon that might work better for possibly getting possibly the movie cast, like Reynolds, to come in and record :).

And Reynolds even reprised Deadpool for an Honest Trailer. I don't think coming back for a cartoon is that much more of a stretch ;).

jaylop97

Staff member
I like the thought of this. Airing in FXX is definitely a good move, Deadpool definitely is something that should be a cartoon for the older people and of course it sounds like a lot of fun.

Troy Troodon

I like the thought of this. Airing in FXX is definitely a good move, Deadpool definitely is something that should be a cartoon for the older people and of course it sounds like a lot of fun.

Well it still be censored though?

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I understand the sentiment, but as Royal Rubble alluded to, I think there's a difference between a 10-episode FX series and a 26-episode Disney XD cartoon that might work better for possibly getting possibly the movie cast, like Reynolds, to come in and record :).

And Reynolds even reprised Deadpool for an Honest Trailer. I don't think coming back for a cartoon is that much more of a stretch ;).

He could probably do the Honest Trailer gig in five minutes.

Greg91

Reporter
I didn't expect this, but I'm happy. :D This may be the break Marvel's animated shows need. I know it's not from Marvel Animation, but it's still great to see an animated Marvel show that people aren't looking down at.

I think Deadpool is a very fun character and I'd totally be up to seeing him in his own show. I'm glad he's been animated before so it doesn't seem like he's only become popular now.

I would like Nolan North to voice him if possible, (he even made a joke on Twitter) though I would love Ryan Reynolds in the role as well.

Donald Glover really seems to be a part of the coolest projects from The Lion King to Star Wars to Spider-Man: Homecoming... I could keep going! I'm happy to hear he will be working on the show with his brother.

Overall, I'm really happy and it would be cool if maybe one or two X-Men showed up, though that's no necessary. I don't really think it has to be in the same continuity as the movies. I'm just happy Marvel and FX are continuing to work together on X-Men related properties for television.

brodie999

That would be a twist :p.

If they, possibly, get the entire movie cast back I could see them spinning it as in the same continuity as the movies or just an extension of it :cool:.
Yeah, I've been wondering ever since this came online if This new Deadpool cartoon by Marvel, ABC and FX could eventually open the door for Disney buying Fox since the 2 studios used to be bitter rivals but now they look for opps to collaborate. Fox Sports is relatively Cheap compared to ESPN and Disney would own 100% of it with their own sports network. If They do this and save ESPN, Then they'll have the X-Men and Deadpool back under their roof and Add Home Alone, Alien, Futurama, The Simpsons, Ice Age, Die Hard, Night at the Museum, X-Files and Planet of the Apes to their long list of franchises to develop on Movies, TV shows and Streaming. IF We can get enough fans to pray for it, Our dreams might come true and We'll have Stupid Fox under The Disney banner.

xfan1991

Unlike Legion and Gifted Kinberg, SInger, and Donner are not involved at all, which leaves me with a feeling is that also with ABC Signature Studios involved that Marvel has the animation tv rights to all its characters.

RoryWilliams

Yeah, I've been wondering ever since this came online if This new Deadpool cartoon by Marvel, ABC and FX could eventually open the door for Disney buying Fox

Not even remotely. We already have two other Marvel/Fox collabs on TV so while this is at least a positive sign that things might be thawing slightly, it really doesn't indicate Fox is gonna be bought by Disney. At all.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Unlike Legion and Gifted Kinberg, SInger, and Donner are not involved at all, which leaves me with a feeling is that also with ABC Signature Studios involved that Marvel has the animation tv rights to all its characters.
Spider-Man was the big one they needed and we know when they got that back. They've had X-Men since at least Wolverine And The X-Men. X-Men related characters showed up in their shows up until Season 3 of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Barbossa

Oh wow, A Marvel cartoon that people are actually looking forward to. I thought those days were over after EMH ended. Its been a while. Best of all, no Stephen Wacker, Disney XD or Will Friedle (Hopefully) in sight.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts