"Deadpool 2" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

"Deadpool 2 " - Discuss and rate this movie

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Prepare for the second coming​

Deadpool2poster.jpeg

Deadpool 2
Release date: May 18, 2018
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: David Leitch
MPAA Rating: R (for for strong violence and language throughout, sexual references and brief nudity)
Screenwriters: Paul Wernick, Rhett Reese, Ryan Reynolds
Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Morena Baccarin, T.J. Miller, Brianna Hildebrand, Josh Brolin, Zazie Beetz, Bill Skarsgard, Terry Crews, Rob Delaney, Lewis Tan

Plot Summary: Foul-mouthed mutant mercenary Wade Wilson (AKA. Deadpool), brings together a team of fellow mutant rogues to protect a young boy of supernatural abilities from the brutal, time-traveling mutant, Cable.

Discuss Deadpool's very first movie right here! Sound off!

Related Threads:
-Deadpool in Animation: A Retrospective Talkback (Spoilers)
-Deadpool Feature Talkback
-Deadpool 2 Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)
-X-Universe Cinematic Universe News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, so please keep your posts as thoughtful, relevant and insightful as possible. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. Most importantly, please keep discussions ON-TOPIC!

Last edited:

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Whelp watched it last night and I gotta say I like this more than the first one. Don't get me wrong its not to say I didn't like the first one or that this film didn't have any problems(it was disjointed in a few areas and the ending DRAGGED) but it got more laughs out of me, more awesome action and characters, and it was really emotional in a few areas.

hobbyfan

Ditto. It was twice as irreverent as the first film, if that was even possible. Reynolds is a total comics geek, as this is his 6th comic book movie. He's also living the part of Deadpool every chance he gets. He gets it.

Russell "Firefist" Collins, in the books, is actually an American (from Oklahoma), not a plus-sized New Zealander, but the story is that Reynolds hand-picked the young actor playing Collins. He's meh, the kid is.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
This was a Well done sequel. It was hilarious like the first and Josh Brolin Killed it as Cable like Thanos.

Dreyfus

I thought it was okay. Maybe overhyped from the first one, which I never saw but most people really liked. I'm a big fan of the 90's Joe Kelly Deadpool comics, so I'm probably partial to that, or maybe it just works better reading it on the page for me. Maybe I'm a prude too. 3 out of 5.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I was expecting something a lot worse due to some reviews I'd heard but I had a really good time with the movie. It's not perfect, and the story is nothing too new, but the fanservice and all of the references for comic fans and superhero movie fans kind of puts it over the edge for me. He might be a little shorter but Josh Brolin was fantastic as Cable. I had some initial hang-ups about the adapted look of the character but Zazie Beetz was so fun in the Domino role that I ended up not really caring about that. Colossus got to be awesome again and his big fight at the end was something I wanted to see brought to the big screen for all of my life. NTW and Yukio didn't do all that much (sadly) besides look cute and kick ass but they're both welcome to remain fixtures. I did get a kick out of the different ways they both interacted with Deadpool.

I generally have no problems with the use of humor but I wish that toned down the attempts when it comes to Russell. There were moments when I felt really bad for the character but I think that it might have been even more so if they had tried to play things a little more serious and sadder with them. He has a very sad story in the movie but when he has his little posturing moments, I think it subtracts a little from what I feel that the audience should be feeling for him, even during his angrier rampaging moments. When it comes to Wade, I think I love his heartfelt moments even more than the action or comedy moments which are also great. We probably didn't see the villains at their most detestable, which is probably a good thing, but I feel as though something could have been done to make this main situation resonate more.

The action was great and the comedy and drama were well handled. I loved the action, the opening Bond parody, that one big cameo and the beautiful end credits scene. If or when X-Force happens, I hope it's not a let down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Story

Turned out better than I thought. Lot more emotional scenes than I expected. The pacing wasn't as good as the first one, though I haven't seen the Super Duper Cut, on the fence about amount of the DP1 callbacks (the callback to the cocaine stash in Blind Al's house was a good one though), and the ending kinda dragged on. Would have liked to see Negasonic and Yukio get a bigger role but it was a crowded movie.

I dug that they expanded on the X-Verse. Introduced the DMC, the Ice Box from the Maverick comic, inhibitor collars, Mojo World, X-Force.

The Brad Pitt cameo as Vanisher was hilarious. But kinda sucked X-Force was mostly fodder. Loved Domino. The depiction of her luck power was entertaining. Brolin nailed Cable -- liked that he still stabbed Deadpool when he hugged him and made the hug weird.

It was a delight they got Juggernaut right. Cool to hear Reynolds did the voice and that was his 'chin'. And all the Black Tom speculation before the theater came out, ha ha, funny it was just a red herring so to speak and it turned out he was just one of the Ice Box prisoners that gets killed off. Firefist was meh.

Still going to rewatch it a couple times.

References

Starting off with the Logan comment and toy was unexpected then a James Bondian title sequence. The funniest credit, imo, was the John Wick one.

It was pretty surprising to see the amount of material referenced Raiders of the Lost Ark, Yentl, Top Gun, Terminator 2, Say Anything, Spinal Tap, Frozen, Basic Instinct, Pooh, Robo-Cop, Sharknado, Annie, Stranger Things... I'm sure there's way more.

In terms of comic book references; True Believers on Vanessa's posters, amusing they took a shot at Rob Liefeld - who can't draw feet, "M Day" on some posters in the Essex House, and Deadpool listing off Juggernaut appearances in the comics.

That was a cool surprise to see most of the Dark Phoenix cast make a cameo and Wade didn't even see it. It was also a surprise to hear Kinberg directed that part on the Phoenix set and they green screened it in. The use of Xavier's wheelchair and Cerebro was also pretty funny.

The Essex House of Mutant Rehabilitation. I guess it was the antithesis of the Xavier School and even elements of those deplorable conversion therapy camps. Though the name "Essex" naturally made me think of Mr. Sinister. I think that orderly that was shot in the head was him in disguise because it sorta looked like the red forehead diamond -- I remember that from some of the comics when he was incognito. Or just a coincidence.

It was pretty neat to see Deadpool rip into MCU movies and DC ones. Like calling Domino Black Black Widow, calling Cable's arm a Winter Soldier one, or trying the Hulk calming line on Juggernaut. The Hawkeye one was petty, imo. I think Deadpool was doing the Wakanda pose, too.

Deadpool trying to slice the bullets but not getting all of them was a funny wink to X-Men Origins: Wolverine but the gag got spoiler in the trailers.

The timeline cleaning in the end credits, while not making sense continuity-wise, but still funny to see Deadpool make amends and we technically got a Wolverine cameo, lol.

The Green Lantern scene. Boy, kinda overkill. We get it. It was a terrible movie.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Maybe bring back Relax-O-Vision?

You know I'm in two minds of this honestly. If this is just a disgusting pathetic money pandering move from FOX just to squeeze out some more moolah from Deadpool 2 (which considering they're release slate move back just to cash in on foreign chinese box office you know is a possibility) then this is a really a sad pathetic idea. The two Deadpool movies are BOTH the most profitable films of the X-Men film franchise. Technically Days of Future Past made more overall worldwide then DP 2 but it still cost more to make so yeah these two are the most profitable movies and are highly rated and work because of the R rating. And yeah there was a slight loss of profit I believe from DP 2 due to parents more controlling their kids from sneaking to watch the movie but not really by any sort of sizeable amount. Really you can easily watch DP 2 if you're a kid especially with the movie out now on DVD so yeah this just seems like a desperate and pathetic move on the part of Fox Studios.

HOWEVER if this is a move that was agreed on by Ryan Reynolds and co and they handle the editing and actual recut of the movie, that would actually work. Because with something like Deapdool there's a chance of tons of jokes with that working with the idea that it's PG-13. Like what if Ryan Reynolds DP comes on screen every time explaining what's happening but not being allowed to show it or making jokes about having to tone down his crudeness? That would actually be funny and worth seeing the movie again because they'd be playing with the idea of a recut. Which I don't think any movie has ever done before but hey DP doing so first would make sense and that would get me to watch the film again. We don't have any idea what path they'lll lean towards now but I'm sure once we see ads for this cut we'll know for sure which direction and thus know if it's worth seeing or not.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
The idea of Deadpool wraparounds where he tells the edited story to Fred Savage, Princess Bride style, is pretty hilarious to me but I just don't how this movie can really work. It's not like The King's Speech or something where I assume they just had to edit some words. Deadpool 2 makes such great use of its R rating, that it is a part of the DNA of each scene. A PG 13 Deadpool 2 is going to have to be more sharply edited than even the eventual FX version. I remember reading about old movies like The Warriors having additional scenes for their edited TV versions, and I wonder if this will feel like that.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Yeah any reservations I had about this movie are gone as it does seem that Ryan and co are fully committed to the idea and are still cramming in a bunch of new jokes into the material whether it be Fred tied to the bed, the Up bit or the "Marvel produced by Fox sucking". Heh kind of hope that DP being super timely points out that Disney is buying Fox so soon they'll be "full Marvel" or something like that though guess they don't want to promote that like in a movie especially since they are still for the moment owned by FOX. Still good stuff and yeah I'll be checking it out... which personally is a big deal because I rarely if ever see movies twice in theaters anymore but I will for the changes made for this flick.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
12/2: After a screening for the Academy of Motion Pictures and Sciences, there was a Q&A and some unused end tags were revealed: Deadpool urinating on Shatterstar's grave, Peter returning with a prosthetic arm, and a new recruits auditioning for X-Force 2.0.

12/4: New Once Upon poster.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts