"DC's Legends of Tomorrow" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Feb 21, 2003
Arlington, VA
Via Deadline:

DC Comics superheroes are uniting in a potential new drama series at the CW, a spinoff from hits Arrow and The Flash that will feature several fan-favorite recurring actors/characters from both shows. I have learned that the network has teamed with Arrow creators Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg and Marc Guggenheim for a project eyed for next season toplined by Brandon Routh, Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller and Caity Lotz.

The untitled project, now in development, is described as a superhero team-up show. Routh, Miller and Garber will reprise their popular DC Comics characters - "Arrow's Ray Palmer/The Atom (Routh), Flash villain Leonard Snart/Captain Cold (Miller), and Flash's Dr. Martin Stein (Garber). Because her Arrow character Sara Lance was killed off, with her sister Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy) taking over as the Black Canary, it is unclear whether Lotz will play the same or new superhero.

The project is in early stages of development, so there is a possibility for other Arrow/Flash characters to cross over to the new spinoff. Additionally, in a tidbit that should get fans fired up, I have learned the new project will include three major DC Comics characters who have never appeared in a TV series
Well......holy crap. That Vixen animated spinoff suddenly makes a lot more sense, doesn't it? The way this is going The CW's going to have its own down-to-earth sort of Justice League going on. Really amazing how far this has come.

Caity Lotz in the mix raises a lot of questions. Seems strange to me she'd be listed with the other big names if she were just intended for fleeting cameos.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I remember it being brought up in the Arrow thread when Brandon Routh was announced as Ray about the possibility of a Brave and the Bold-esque show that could feature and introduce more heroes and characters into the DCTVU, but I never expected it could actually happen :eek:.

With all the new heroes coming into the universe, I thought it was only a matter of time before we saw a TV Justice League debut, and I could definitely see this helping to build up to that by introducing more characters and mythology. Really, there's just a whole lot of potential in what they can do with this now since it seems like this is meant to really expand the universe, and I'm loving the possibilities :D.

As far as the casting:

- It looks like Ray is leading it as The Atom or will at least get a focus episode :cool:.

-I'm surprised Professor Stein is in it without Robbie Amell as Firestorm, thought maybe Amell is in it and just not listed :)

- Curious to see what Cold's role will be considering he's predominantly focused in Central City and centered on defeating Flash, not to mention the Rogues have yet to fully come together :ack:.

- Caity Lotz being in it is even more interesting since she's supposed to be dead...a part of me thinks we could see the Lazarus Pit involved in bringing her back, but then that would mean we have two Canaries and Laurel loses part of her motivation, so I'm not sure if they'd go with that :sweat:.

rggkjg1

The Big Red Cheese
Mar 2, 2002
Philly Philly
www.myspace.com
I would like this show to have some "rotation" with it's characters/stories instead an entire season of The Atom, Firestorm, and whoever Caity Lotz is playing. Have a 3-4 episode arc with those characters/story, then once that story concludes, another 3-4 episode arc with a brand new set of characters/story. Or maybe they're doing solo 3-4 episode arcs with team ups here and there. I think a team up premise for this entire series would seem too gimmicky for me. It's more than exciting, but I think it would get old real fast. Assuming it is a legit team up show and that's the format through the entire series, this pairing of The Atom, Firestorm, Captain Cold, and ?? comes off as random to me.

However long this series lasts, and whatever format they do, there better be a QUESTION episode.

May 14, 2006
Hoping Lotz doesn't return, mostly because conclusions are a good thing.

Anyway, I can't wait to see how this pans out. I thought Atom and Firestorm would make for great winter and summer replacements for Arrow and The Flash, so hopefully this works out like that.

hobbyfan

Jun 9, 2002
Troy NY
I would like this show to have some "rotation" with it's characters/stories instead an entire season of The Atom, Firestorm, and whoever Caity Lotz is playing. Have a 3-4 episode arc with those characters/story, then once that story concludes, another 3-4 episode arc with a brand new set of characters/story. Or maybe they're doing solo 3-4 episode arcs with team ups here and there. I think a team up premise for this entire series would seem too gimmicky for me. It's more than exciting, but I think it would get old real fast. Assuming it is a legit team up show and that's the format through the entire series, this pairing of The Atom, Firestorm, Captain Cold, and ?? comes off as random to me.

However long this series lasts, and whatever format they do, there better be a QUESTION episode.
We had a term for that back in the day. It's called an anthology or "wheel" show. Think back to The Bold Ones back in the 60's, for example.

Of course, I've got my short list of who I want to see, and if Caity Lotz doesn't reprise her Arrow role, maybe she can be plugged in as, oh, I dunno, Zatanna??

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
We had a term for that back in the day. It's called an anthology or "wheel" show. Think back to The Bold Ones back in the 60's, for example.

Of course, I've got my short list of who I want to see, and if Caity Lotz doesn't reprise her Arrow role, maybe she can be plugged in as, oh, I dunno, Zatanna??
As much as I'd love to see Zatanna, she's probably caught up in an embargo because of Guillermo Del Toro's Justice League Dark movie.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
Yeah, I'm kinda surprised by this announcement too much, as I was expecting an Atom series. However, I am puzzled myself, mind you I need to catch up on my Arrow and Flash, but leaves me with a lot of questions.

As much as I'd love to see Zatanna, she's probably caught up in an embargo because of Guillermo Del Toro's Justice League Dark movie.
As I was corrected myself, if the Flash is any indication, maybe not. Besides, Del Toro seems more than willing to collaborate sine he did say in an interview he would incorporate the current TV Constantine into the film. But then again, that's completely untethered from what CW is doing.

May 14, 2006
The CW was probably concerned that adding another solo hero series might become repetitive. A sort of team-up series would break that, although to be honest Arrow feels like it is already a solo series. If Ray, Ronnie and Stein are going to be headlining this series I get the sense that it'll probably be the counter to the 'dark' team-up series that is Arrow.

RoryWilliams

Sep 19, 2010
The Tardis
So it will introduce three new characters.

Han Solo-esque rogue who gets by with his charm, this hero hails from the future, and has journeyed back in time on a secret mission. His razor-sharp wit hides the pain of a man who has lived through serious conflict. He also harbors many secrets, always leaving both his teammates and the audience unsure of his true allegiances.

A twentysomething Latina is pretty but unassuming, book smart and socially awkward by day. But by night, when she hears the cry of battle, her fury is ignited and she becomes a fierce warrior — so much so, that sometimes she can become a threat to others

An African-American male in his twenties will fill the role of a regular, street smart guy who unexpectedly gains powers, and then, as part of the team, regularly quips about the insanity of the situations.
The site is speculating Rip Hunter, Wildcat, and Static or Black Lightning. Black Lightning is probably the more probable of the two since Static is supposed to have a web show.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
The time-traveller doesn't sound as comedic or as much of a glory-hog as Booster is, so I can definitely see it being Rip Hunter. Not to mention that Booster might be off-limits if his show is getting picked up by some network. But it would be cool if he got a mention by Rip at least :).

Hmm...a new, female, Wildcat would make sense considering we already have Ted on Arrow and he could show up to help develop that. Pantha would fit too.

When I read the third description I instantly thought it was Static, but yeah, if WB are doing their own web-thing with him it would probably have to be Black Lightning. I honestly didn't even know if they still had the TV rights to Milestone characters :sweat:.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Hawkgirl!? Awesome :D!!!

Looking forward to seeing how she's handled on the show, and how her costume will compare to Hawkman's on Smallville :).

Speaking of, I wonder if Hawkman will get a reference in this?

nice. Looks like the Kendra Saunders version.
But since they mention the reincarnation angle, that means she's probably also still Shiera/Shayera ;).

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
So it looks like Shrayera Hol is off limits to the DCTVU.
Not necessarily. While the names are different, Kendra is one of Shayera's reincarnations in the comics, and considering how they've mentioned that aspect in her description, presumably it applies to the show as well. Shayera might well get mentioned at one point :).

RoryWilliams

Sep 19, 2010
The Tardis
They probably went with Kendra because she's the current Hawkgirl in the comics rn, and provides a little more racial diversity. Plus if they're going with the reincarnation thing and Shayera is likely one of her past lives.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I can't believe Russell fricking died.
My tv provider has come to an agreement with Disney.
All channels of Disney (including FOX)
Are going to stay next month.
:)
remember when toon disney aired live action outside of jetix
Rupavahini is airing SeaQuest yet with a local theme song despite the series airing with Sinhala subtitles.
It has been officially 10 years since Transformers Animated ended....man, do I feel old.