DCAU character ages

ShadowSJG

I was wondering, what are the ages of characters throughout the DCAU like
Batman
Robin/Nightwing
BatGirl
Superman
The Flash

Anyone have an idea how old they are throughout the various DCAU?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The late Dwayne McDuffie answered questions on his forum but he changed sites a lot and some are lost to time (but I haven't tried using Internet Archive) but he once said Flash was 20 years old.

Dick Grayson, when BTAS started, he was a sophomore in college. He was 10 when he met Bruce so I guessed he was born around 1975 so he's late 20s/early 30s by JLU I would guess.

When Barbara Gordon debuted on BTAS she was on break from college so she's probably around the same age as Dick or maybe a year younger or so.

Batman and Superman, I've deducted, were born in the mid-60s based on tidbits like Lois' age and the flashback in "Monkey Fun" or "New Kids in Town" - I forget if they directly said it was 1979 or went 1000 years into the past from 2979 plus Kenny makes a Darth reference. So in BTAS, Batman would be shy of 30 or early 30s by a few years approximately, nearing 40s in TNBA, nearing/reaching early 40s in JL/JLU, it's contested for Batman Beyond based on what sources you use but late 80s/early 90s in Beyond. But biologically, for Superman he still looks like his 40s/50s give or take during Beyond despite being about the same age as Batman.

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

Then he should be around mid twenties, like 25 in JL
Keep in mind that I am generalizing and not looking deeply into the continuity of the show, though Wally has started his crime-fighting career by the time of the Superman animated series. I'd also say that the timeline of the DCAU might be a bit fluid, if not as much so as the mainstream DC Comics universe.

TheDorkKnight

I've always assumed that Barbara and Dick were the same age and I'm guessing that would be late 20's by the time of JL/JLU.

As for Batman, I have always heard that he is always in his mid-30's, as the DCAU apparently follows a non-exact time frame.

I feel as though Superman would be in his mid-30's, like Batman.

As for Flash, I think he would be a bit younger than Batman and Superman but not as old as Baraba or Dick.

ShadowSJG

At the start of STAS? My guess is mid to late 20s based (see my earlier post). I tend to think 27-28 years old to be near Lois's age.
What age range?
also a comic irrc says he was 27?
But how old does he look though?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
What age range?
Huh? I don't understand. I literally just told you mid to late twenties.

Per "Monkey Fun," Lois was 8 years old in the flashback then it's stated the present timeline of the show is 20 years later. So Lois basically is 28 at the start of STAS. At the 4:17 mark, the line on the screen reads Twenty Years Later just before Superman attacks the meteor field then at 6:03, Lois states "I was eight, okay?"

Per "World's Finest" Part One, at 3:48, Alfred mentions the Laughing Dragon was carved nearly 30 years ago in China.

Per "New Kids in Town," the Smallville part of the episode would have take place at least after Play That Funky music came out in 1976 (the song at the dance seems loosely based on it), at the dance Clark mentions "Kareem" or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar who got famous in the NBA in the early 70s, after the theatrical airing of Star Wars in 1977 since Kenny references Darth Vader at 11:48 and Tattooine at 11:58, and after the Dukes of Hazzard started airing January 26, 1979 as Martha asks Jonathan if it's on at 13:50 as an excuse to give Clark and Lana some privacy. In the beginning of the episode at 1:11, there's a timestamp 2979 A.D. but it's left unsaid what year exactly Brainiac and the Legion go back to. Based on the pop culture references, could be anywhere between 1978 to early 80s and Clark is a teen then.

So ultimately idk if Bruce Timm and co. intended for Clark and Lois to be same age but he should be around her age, maybe a year or two younger or older. Idk if anyone in the staff ever got specific about that hence my guess Clark should be in his mid to late twenties at the start of STAS.

also a comic irrc says he was 27?
Idk what this is in reference to. The comics aside from the recent Justice League Infinity aren't canon to the animated continuity. Basically an alternate universe like the Justice Lords or Justice Guild.

But how old does he look though?
It's animation so that's pretty debatable... so that's an overall weird question to ask. Just watch the show or google images or look on the various websites out there and make your own conclusion.

Last edited:

the greenman

I do not remember where I read this, but I remember reading someplace Clark is perpetually 29/30. As for DCAU, not sure as they did age him a little in JL Season 1.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

OnLeatherWings1

All rise for the most honorable
I do not remember where I read this, but I remember reading someplace Clark is perpetually 29/30. As for DCAU, not sure as they did age him a little in JL Season 1.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
In Secret Origins, they imply that it has been six months since Legacy (off the top of my head).

Ed Nygma

DCAU Bruce was born roughly 1960-62, that's all I've got. He was 78 or so in 2039, but other timeline things lined up with this like Phantasm, I forget the references off the top of my head. As much as I don't like them being this young the others are correct that DCAU Clark and Lois were 28 or so at the start of STAS; he's flat out described as 27 in the Superman Adventures comic.

ShadowSJG

Huh? I don't understand. I literally just told you mid to late twenties.

Per "Monkey Fun," Lois was 8 years old in the flashback then it's stated the present timeline of the show is 20 years later. So Lois basically is 28 at the start of STAS. At the 4:17 mark, the line on the screen reads Twenty Years Later just before Superman attacks the meteor field then at 6:03, Lois states "I was eight, okay?"

Per "World's Finest" Part One, at 3:48, Alfred mentions the Laughing Dragon was carved nearly 30 years ago in China.

Per "New Kids in Town," the Smallville part of the episode would have take place at least after Play That Funky music came out in 1976 (the song at the dance seems loosely based on it), at the dance Clark mentions "Kareem" or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar who got famous in the NBA in the early 70s, after the theatrical airing of Star Wars in 1977 since Kenny references Darth Vader at 11:48 and Tattooine at 11:58, and after the Dukes of Hazzard started airing January 26, 1979 as Martha asks Jonathan if it's on at 13:50 as an excuse to give Clark and Lana some privacy. In the beginning of the episode at 1:11, there's a timestamp 2979 A.D. but it's left unsaid what year exactly Brainiac and the Legion go back to. Based on the pop culture references, could be anywhere between 1978 to early 80s and Clark is a teen then.

So ultimately idk if Bruce Timm and co. intended for Clark and Lois to be same age but he should be around her age, maybe a year or two younger or older. Idk if anyone in the staff ever got specific about that hence my guess Clark should be in his mid to late twenties at the start of STAS.

Idk what this is in reference to. The comics aside from the recent Justice League Infinity aren't canon to the animated continuity. Basically an alternate universe like the Justice Lords or Justice Guild.

It's animation so that's pretty debatable... so that's an overall weird question to ask. Just watch the show or google images or look on the various websites out there and make your own conclusion.
Sorry for being late but youngest age for Clark I mean?

Dusty

Superman.
These were always my assumptions from seeing each show and hearing stuff around the web.

Batman is in his 30’s
Superman is in his 30’s (in STAS I thought I heard he was 20-25 when he arrived in Metropolis.)
Wonder Woman is a few thousand years old.
Green Lantern is in his 30’s
Flash was 19-24 (again, just from rumblings around the web and stuff.)
Martian Manhunter is 5000 or so years old’s
Hawk girl is in her mid to late 20’s (flash hit on her so it seemed he maybe felt safer going after a not too much older woman for him.

Wonder Woman and J’onn are the oldest then we get Batman, Superman, and GL around the same ages, Hawkgirl and then Flash.

Those fit pretty well IMO, but I’m probably dead wrong. Lol

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
Yeah, I think it was he's 20 in STAS then mid-20s by JL.
If the Flash is working in a police lab as seen in Justice League (including his origin flashback/dream sequence in "The Brave and the Bold"), he's got to be in his mid-20s at least. There's no real problem with Wally being older than Dick Grayson, though, since Barbara Gordon is older than Dick in the comics but younger than him in the DCAU.

As for Superman, Paul Dini and Scott McCloud give precise ages for Clark Kent in the early issues of DC's Superman Adventures comic book. In issue #3, Superman says he was "barely a year old" at the time of Krypton's explosion, and Professor Hamilton states that Krypton was "just twenty-seven light years away." The light from Krypton's explosion is just reaching Earth 27 years later, placing Superman's age at 28.

And Alfred says in "World's Finest" that the Laughing Dragon was carved in China "nearly 30 years ago." Since kryptonite could not predate Superman's arrival on Earth, we can deduce that Superman is at least 29 when he and Batman first meet.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts