"DC Universe" Digital Service - Animation News and Discussion (Spoilers)

btgr

Attachments

• Blue Beetle comment.png
    Blue Beetle comment.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 142

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Not to get too much off-topic here since this is the Animation forum, but whatever happened to that proposed Blue Beetle live-action show? Since the Digital Service will also have live-action shows they could always do something with that.

I think it's too early to expect a lot of new shows from this service, as fun as speculating that might be. Let's see how the two projects announced so far will do first. It would be nice if they brought some older shows for streaming here.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So when is the Warner Digital Upfront where we might get some more concrete details about this service and possibly the content?
Last I checked, it's scheduled for May 5. So the announcement of the DC Digital Service this week isn't randomly chosen, imo, and is a PR move to build up chatter and hype.

Otaku-sempai

So when is the Warner Digital Upfront where we might get some more concrete details about this service and possibly the content?
A Google search gives me an Ad Age article that lists the Warner Bros. Digital Networks/Machinima event for May 5 at 9 a.m. (location to be announced).

HOWEVER, Variety is reporting that the scheduled Newsfront has been cancelled.
“We have decided to postpone our NewFronts presentation so we can focus on presenting an even more immersive and comprehensive unveiling of the Warner Bros. Digital Networks to our Warner Bros. family, our partners, and our loyal fans, early this summer,” the company said in a statement.

bat16

concerning more Batman Beyond, I'm still angry that they made a short celebrating Batman 75th year with an "incomplete" short.:rolleyes:

so what happened after this? Couldn't we see the Batmans fighting.

Frontier

Staff member
Not to get too much off-topic here since this is the Animation forum, but whatever happened to that proposed Blue Beetle live-action show? Since the Digital Service will also have live-action shows they could always do something with that.

I think it's too early to expect a lot of new shows from this service, as fun as speculating that might be. Let's see how the two projects announced so far will do first. It would be nice if they brought some older shows for streaming here.
Or the Static show...

I feel like they're probably going to need more content or something more to entice viewers to subscribe to the service then just Young Justice season 3 and a Greg Berlanti Titans show. The former has a sizeable audience but one that was probably expecting it to come back on Netflix, so they're probably going to need a little more incentive to get people to look into this.

Greg91

Reporter
maybe a pipe dream but would love to see a new DC animated universe. With numerous animated shows that are all set in the same universe. Marvel has been doing one for what? 4+ years now? While every DC show has been a separate entity since the DCAU ended.
I like the separate entities since they can be their own shows without being tied down by continuity like some of the current Marvel shows. It's also nice to not see everything superhero related outside of the comics turn into shared universes. I know the DCAU existed before the MCU, but I feel like almost everyone is creating shared universes since the MCU started, even if they don't fit.
I've always wondered about that as well. I guess it was just quietly cancelled.
Agreed, I want to see how Young Justice: Outsiders and Titans do. It's interesting that these are both revivals of sorts. I'm curious what completely new content we could get in the future. I keep hearing people ask for multiple shows to return, but I don't see the point of staying in the past so much. Instead of a bunch of revivals, new original series would be great. A revival or two wouldn't hurt like the proposed return of Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles.

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
I'd love to see a new Batman series (I know) that skewed a bit mature and was a love letter to the 2000s in the comics. I still want to see the classic villains, but with a later era of the Batfamily and newer villains as well. An Arkham inspiration would be nice

EmaHalJordan

If they don't have too big of a budget for starters, it would be cool if they did some more short-form series for a while. Kind of like a continuation of DC Nation (and finish that "Sword of the Atom" story-line, among others).
A continuation of "the Sword of The Atom" would be great! :)

Eldorado

Agreed, I want to see how Young Justice: Outsiders and Titans do. It's interesting that these are both revivals of sorts. I'm curious what completely new content we could get in the future. I keep hearing people ask for multiple shows to return, but I don't see the point of staying in the past so much. Instead of a bunch of revivals, new original series would be great. A revival or two wouldn't hurt like the proposed return of Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles.

If it's revivals we're talking about I want Powerless to be renewed for Season 2 and move to this new service and be treated better than NBC ever did.

Frontier

Staff member
I'd love to see a new Batman series (I know) that skewed a bit mature and was a love letter to the 2000s in the comics. I still want to see the classic villains, but with a later era of the Batfamily and newer villains as well. An Arkham inspiration would be nice
They could always revive that "No Man's Land" pitch ;).

bat16

would love to see a new Batman show that advances in time. Start off with Batman Solo for the 1st season, than introduce each Robin in each consecutive season. So we see Dick (Nightwing), Todd(later on Red Hood), Drake (Red Robin), and Damien. Of course Batgirl and all the classic villains and Arkham as a key location.

Marvelman02

Sigh, other series, besides Young Justice?

Okay, top of the list? The Shazam Family. Yes, I do mean the current incarnation of the Marvel Family. I liked most of what Geoff Johns did in the Shazam backup in Justice League and I would like to see it expanded upon. Alternatively, I wouldn't mind seeing an adaptation of the Jeff Smith limited series.

As I said in another thread, I'd like to see a Justice Society series that focused on the relationship between the golden age characters and legacy characters such as Stargirl.

The other big one would be a CGI Kingdom Come mini-series.

I would ask for a New Gods series but I have come to the conclusion that the only personal capable of writing a good New Gods story is Jack Kirby. He, unfortunately, is not available.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I'm all in for Wonder Woman: The Animated Series and Green Arrow: The Animated Series.

But it's not like I will be able to watch any of this legally. This service will be US-only just like CW Seed and the Boomerang service, no doubt about that :(

Our Netflix doesn't even have any DC animated stuff besides one Lego special xD

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member

It seemed as though Geoff Johns was behind having the footage made as an effects test to pitch a Blue Beetle show but I guess nothing went past that stage. Maybe that's what lead to Jaime being featured in that one Smallville episode with Booster Gold. The last thing I remember was them including snippets of the test footage in DC Nation promos and that really got my hopes up.

My wish would be that John Rogers could someday showrun a BB or even Blue and Gold series. He's run his own TV shows and was responsible for the best comics run of the character.

I really hope Warner Bros knows what they're doing with this service though. The revival of Young Justice being tied into an upstart streaming service reminds me of what happened with Community and Yahoo Screen, which managed to flop despite being a free service.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

reflection01

Looks like this new digital service is already a depository for our hopes and dreams.

I think people are really getting their hopes up about new content.

When are DCAU shows set to drop off Netflix? I think they'll end up here. Maybe some other old WB content. I doubt there will be more than three or four new shows and probably not all at launch.

Frontier

Staff member
Looks like this new digital service is already a depository for our hopes and dreams.

I think people are really getting their hopes up about new content.

When are DCAU shows set to drop off Netflix? I think they'll end up here. Maybe some other old WB content. I doubt there will be more than three or four new shows and probably not all at launch.
It'd be pretty cool if the service could offer the entire DCAU for our viewing pleasure (Netflix only has the Justice League cartoons, I believe), while also offering all the Animated Feature films up to Judas Contract :cool:.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts