• Enter to win two tickets to Howl's Moving Castle. Details here.

"DC Universe" Digital Service - Animation News and Discussion (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

W.C.Reaf

They've got to put content on there and they've got a library of old DC cartoons and TV shows so I'd imagine they'd fill it up with whatever they have available. They wouldn't make this new service and expect people to pay just for two new exclusive shows after all.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
I don't expect a lot of original new content from this service, at least not from the start. I think they would have announced all the projects they're working on for this platform all at once, and so far we only know about two of them (and only one is animated). I guess, as time passes and if the service proves successful enough they might bring out more but using it to exclusively host older shows (though I presume nothing older than the 90s) seems more plausible.

Otaku-sempai

Don't forget that some DC-related content will be on the Boomarang streaming service, won't it? Or would older content such as the Super Friends shows more likely to turn up here?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
I could be wrong, but I think Boomerang's service will mostly cover the comedic shows from Hanna-Barbera and Warner Bros., along with some new exclusive content like Be Cool Scooby-Doo or the Wacky Races rebooted series.

Before this new DC Streaming Service was announced, I did bring up the possibility of Young Justice ending up on the Boomerang service when it comes out.

AdrenalineRush1996

It's as best a place to finally get a Wonder Woman animated series. Decades overdue.
Agreed.

I really hope Warner Bros knows what they're doing with this service though. The revival of Young Justice being tied into an upstart streaming service reminds me of what happened with Community and Yahoo Screen, which managed to flop despite being a free service.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
I hope YJ becomes available on Netflix outside the US in order to satisfy non-American fans who are disappointed that it's exclusive to DC Digital.

Yahoo! Screen may be one bad example of a fledging digital streaming network but one good example is WWE Network.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Marvelman02

How do these services work? Will I purchase an individual episode? And once I buy an episode will I be able to watch it whenever I wish?

Frontier

Staff member
How do these services work? Will I purchase an individual episode? And once I buy an episode will I be able to watch it whenever I wish?
You basically pay for a subscription for the service and can then freely stream all the content :).

Frontier

Staff member
I'm curious to see how open they are to original pitches, though so far we're not aware of if there's any criteria for content and if they're going to be relying on original content more then they are anything else...

EmaHalJordan

1. Finish "Sword of the Atom" story-line!!!
  2. bring back Green Lantern Animated Series... Sinestro Corps War! The Blackest Night!
  3. Blue Beetle Ted Kord and Booster Gold live action Series
  4. continue JLU
  5. Justice League Action Season 2
  6. DC Super Hero Girls Animated Series
  7. Jack kirby's fourth world Animated Series
  8. DC Universe Presents Animated Series
  9. Wonder Woman Animated Series
  10. Batgirl live action series
These are some things that I hope for! :)

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
I forgot if I said this, but I don’t think a streaming service dedicated to just DC superheroes is a good idea. In a time when a lot of smaller streaming services went belly up due to being very niche and can’t compete with large libraries of content like Hulu and Netflix, I can’t imagine something like this lasting long.
....unless they team up with VRV. Then it’ll have a better chance.

As far as content is concerned, I’d love it if some of the DC Nation shorts got expanded into 7-11 minute long episodes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
I forgot if I said this, but I don’t think a streaming service dedicated to just DC superheroes is a good idea. In a time when a lot of smaller streaming services went belly up due to being very niche and can’t compete with large libraries of content like Hulu and Netflix, I can’t imagine something like this lasting long.
....unless they team up with VRV. Then it’ll have a better chance.

As far as content is concerned, I’d love it if some of the DC Nation shorts got expanded into 7-11 minute long episodes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think, depending on how much content is available on the service as well as how much exclusive content they have (so far we have three confirmed series, or at least two confirmed with one ongoing), there's definitely potential for the service to carve it's own niche.

DC has a huge backlog of animated, film, and TV content that they can utilize here, on-top of the new stuff like Titans and Young Justice: Outsiders.

It's all a matter of how much they put on there and how they market it, in my opinion.

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
I think a comic component is what will make or break the service. But overall if worse came to worse if imagine that they'd fold this service into the inevitable Warner Bros streaming service that I'm sure will happen eventually.

EmaHalJordan

What I want most is the sword of the atom! It is a major DC character that it would be difficult to get a movie, it would be great to get a mini movie of at least 40 minutes with the shorts already made.

It would also be great to see more shorts of Animal Man. But continuing that shorts format!

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Sam Liu talked a little about the DC Digital Service in this video starting around the 8:26 minutes mark. At 9:29 he mentions he's mainly concerned with the direct-to-video movies, but there have been talks for some more extra content the Service will hopefully provide by the time it goes live.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I kinda like Phil Collins and am not afraid to say so!! (don't tell anyone)
Seriously, why can't Boomerang switch back to their original brand and air classic cartoons again?
Steven Universe. Where you are not allowed to reference marriage, childbirth and any sort of relation.
Why can't Cartoon Network air shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa and Clarence instead of Toddler Tightwads No!?

I like her response as to why she chooses Grover.