"DC Universe" Digital Service - Animation News and Discussion (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

RoyalRubble

Staff member
At least until Harley's show premieres. After that I could see her becoming the new spokeswoman or whatever for the entire digital service.

Batboy84

One thing I wish the service would do is do a better job of informing people when something is being brought back. I just found out last night that Batman: Bad Blood and Green Lantern: First Flight had been added back to the service after being gone for months, and I found that out from randomly checking the movie tab. And I just checked their weekly article covering everything new for the week, there was no mention of them.

Frontier

Staff member
One thing I wish the service would do is do a better job of informing people when something is being brought back. I just found out last night that Batman: Bad Blood and Green Lantern: First Flight had been added back to the service after being gone for months, and I found that out from randomly checking the movie tab. And I just checked their weekly article covering everything new for the week, there was no mention of them.
The idea that stuff randomly disappears from the service is kind of...weird :sweat:.

(I know stuff leaves Netflix all the time but the concept of rotating stuff out is a little different).

Medinnus

Staff member
The idea that stuff randomly disappears from the service is kind of...weird :sweat:.

(I know stuff leaves Netflix all the time but the concept of rotating stuff out is a little different).
I agree. In the case of Netflix, it is one thing; there are so many BLOBS (Binary Large Objects - I would guess that the average 102 feature runs about 750 MB each, with each features having different resolutions (say 3?)... so, given the scale and given how they are not the primary rightsholder of any given movie, give and take is inevitable.

The DCUniverse site is much different - a horribly buggy UI, they are the primary rightsholder per feature, and they have hundreds (maybe) of BLOBs and not hundreds of thousands like Netflix... really, there is no excuse for it.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Weird that it's just the Xbox One right now. Here's hoping it comes to the other gaming consoles soon too. Especially the Switch.
Looks like a slow rollout approach so in time, I think it will come to the other consoles, too, in time. Probably making sure the legalities are ironed out and everyone's satisfied.

Batboy84

Why have multiple streaming services when you can have all your content in one, single, streaming service more clearly defined by your brand :confused:?
My guess is the target demographic. Take Disney. Disney+ will have family friendly shows and movies, while Hulu will get the more mature Disney properties, such as the 5 Marvel animated shows announced so far and Runaways. It's likely the same here as well, with confirmation that WarnerMedia will feature family friendly original content.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
I mean, why not have VRV as the place to display DC Universe shows? DCU can only grow so much since it's catering to a specific group. VRV could spark a name change to group the DC, Boomerang, and HBO streaming services together and still keep people who subscribe to either service. If they want to give Netflix a taste of defeat they should group everything entertainment together with the exception of news and sports. Keep the people that's in charge of the separate streaming services intact along with their identity buy group them into the fold.

If that makes sense.

Batboy84

I mean, why not have VRV as the place to display DC Universe shows? DCU can only grow so much since it's catering to a specific group. VRV could spark a name change to group the DC, Boomerang, and HBO streaming services together and still keep people who subscribe to either service. If they want to give Netflix a taste of defeat they should group everything entertainment together with the exception of news and sports. Keep the people that's in charge of the separate streaming services intact along with their identity buy group them into the fold.

If that makes sense.
Well for one, I'm not sure VRV is the best place for it, if only because WB wouldn't be in complete control. Think the Marvel shows on Netflix that got cancelled, unless I'm completely misunderstanding how VRV works. Two, unlike Disney, whose properties have mass appeal for the most part, HBO seems like the odd one out in terms of WB's content, especially when compared to DC and Boomerang. Doesn't really seem fitting to combine HBO with them. Though I do agree, they need to do something to consolidate these services. We don't need both Boomerang and WarnerMedia out there if they're both providing family friendly content.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Before I forget, I wish a happy 52nd birthday to Lara Jill Miller, known for roles such as Clifford on Clifford's Puppy Days, Juniper Lee, Allie on Curious George, Widget on Wow Wow Wubbzy, Lambie on Doc McStuffins, Lisa Loud on The Loud House, and Henry Hugglemonster.
Five years into this Star Wars revival and the most interesting homages/ripoffs we've gotten are...Disgaea 5 and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. I'm including official Star Wars media in this estimation.
Why is it that the only new cartoons that are able to take off in internet circles nowadays are huge serialized epics? Infinity Train is like the only new CN show this year that will get any attention, despite Craig of the Creek and Victor & Valentino existing.
I feel like taking a break here. Not much, if anything, going on that interests me, and I'd like to do some self-reflecting, or something like that.
RedLetterMedia's The Nerd Crew is unironically the best series on YouTube.