"DC Super Hero Girls" (Television Series) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
Given they retained Grey Griffin and Tara Strong from Super Best Friends Forever, I was pretty quick to assume they'd bring back Nicole Sullivan as Supergirl.

Frontier

Staff member
Bumblebee looks so cute in her bumblebee form :anime:.

I'm getting the sense Supergirl will be the "teen girl with attitude" member of the group :sweat:.

Batgirl looks like a bundle of fun :D.

I like Jessica's wavy hair and the green highlights :).

Yeah, I think the purple-haired girl is definitely Zatanna. The sparkling flair coming out of hands looks a heck of a lot like magic :cool:.

Otaku-sempai

Yeah, I think the purple-haired girl is definitely Zatanna. The sparkling flair coming out of hands looks a heck of a lot like magic :cool:.
Yeah, she's definitely Zatanna. Compare that look to this:

Zatanna-70s.jpg

SuperME

I really like the new image. We can see some differences between the original promo art and this one.

Zatanna has a longer cape
Barbara's face has a different shape
Etc

Wonder which one is more accurate to the cartoon look

Dorko

Y'know, I'm actually a little surprised that they're sticking with Bumblebee in light of Ant-Man & The Wasp having come out. The character has drifted closer and closer to being "The Wasp, but black and at DC" in the last decade or so, after her appearances on Teen Titans and as a member of the Doom Patrol post-Infinite Crisis.

As the character has been around since the beginning of the line, it makes sense. But she invites comparisons.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Now all we need is for Bumblebee to be paired with Atom :p (which Young Justice already tried a little, though admittedly that was before the Marvel Cinematic Universe even featured Ant-Man, let alone Wasp).

Frontier

Staff member
Y'know, I'm actually a little surprised that they're sticking with Bumblebee in light of Ant-Man & The Wasp having come out. The character has drifted closer and closer to being "The Wasp, but black and at DC" in the last decade or so, after her appearances on Teen Titans and as a member of the Doom Patrol post-Infinite Crisis.

As the character has been around since the beginning of the line, it makes sense. But she invites comparisons.
Especially since, last I heard, Hasbro was taking legal action against DC for the rights to the "Bumblebee" name :sweat:.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Especially since, last I heard, Hasbro was taking legal action against DC for the rights to the "Bumblebee" name :sweat:.
How exactly does Hasbro think they can trademark the name of an insect? Besides, Bumblebee the Autobot is simply yellow. Bumblebee the hero actually uses the bee gimmick. Hasbro doesn't have a leg to stand on here.

ShadowBeast

But DC came up with the Bumblebee character before Hasbro came up with their transformer.
Such lawsuits are stupid anyway. It's like when the Monster energy drink company were trying to sue a website for aquarium enthusiast because of the word "monster" in it's website. It wasn't about logos either since the Monster energy drink has claw marks in the shape of an "M" while the website had an "M" with devil horns and tail.

If a name or word were original to the person/company, then a lawsuit against someone else using it can be seen as reasonable. But common words like Bumblebee should be allowed by anyone.

Otaku-sempai

Yes, the argument seems silly. The issue is with 'Bumblebee' as a a title and a name used on packaging. DC's Bumblebee was introduced in Teen Titans in the 1970s, but she never headlined her own title. That's where the lawyers for the Transformers franchise think they can make their case.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I was on Tim Sheridan's twitter, and he mentioned "DC Superhero Girls @CartoonNetwork" . Combined with this tweet he put out when the official designs were revealed, it looks like he's also writing for this series. His only other involvement with the franchise is working with Jennifer Muro on the Lego Galactic Wonder special.

juan1193

I'm surprised they chose to use Bumblebee over Vixen in the first place. But I guess it has alot to do with Bumblebee looking similar to a fairy/pixie, hence more marketable.

It's too bad Katana isn't a main cast member anymore though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts