"DC Super Hero Girls" (Television Series) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
dcsuperherogirlsTVartmay212018.jpg

1 Hour Premiere March 8 at 6 pm Eastern
Series begins March 17, Sundays 4 pm

Details at The World's Finest

Deadline reports, ‘DC Super Hero Girls’: Cartoon Network Sets Toon Series For 2018!
Warner Bros. Animation has kicked off production on DC Super Hero Girls, which follows not-so-typical teenagers Diana, Kara and Barbara. Alongside their superhero friends, they have much more to deal with than just protecting the citizens of Metropolis from some of the most sinister schoolage supervillains of the DC Universe.
The action-comedy series from producer Lauren Faust (My Little Pony, The Powerpuff Girls) is set to premiere next year on Cartoon Network. Sam Register (Teen Titans Go!, Justice League Action) serves as executive producer.
From the network: Gal pals Bumblebee, Zatanna and Green Lantern Jessica Cruz are always there to lend an ear, a shoulder to cry on and a fist to punch with, and their bros in the Justice League amp up the fun whether they’re at a concert or taking down a crime ring. But what happens when Diana and her favorite study buddy and fencing partner, Tatsu, can’t agree on how to dole out justice as Wonder Woman and Katana? Or when Barbara finds out her Gotham-Con bestie is teen-fiend Harley Quinn? Along with all their friends, foes and frenemies, this squad of super teens navigates the unique growing pains that come when you’re a teenager trying to fight the battles of the world and the battles of growing up at the same time.

Links: Super Shorts Talkback

EDIT: Interesting that Shea Fontana isn't involved with the series. Though I agree it's "in good hands" with Lauren Faust. :p

Frontier

Staff member
May 23rd:
Deadline reports, ‘DC Super Hero Girls’: Cartoon Network Sets Toon Series For 2018!

EDIT: Interesting that Shea Fontana isn't involved with the series. Though I agree it's "in good hands" with Lauren Faust. :p
I thought a full DC Super Hero Girls cartoon series was likely to happen at some point, though this is still kind of unexpected :eek:.

It sounds kind of like a re-imagining of the DC Super Hero Girls universe or a new take on the concept then another entry in the universe like the graphic novels, webisodes, etc. Which probably explains why Shea Fontana isn't involved :sweat:.

But, yeah, Lauren Faust is an excellent choice to handle this. Feels kind of like DC/WB finally giving her a reward for her work on Super Best Friends Forever :).

So is this just going to run concurrently with the webisodes and animated movies/specials as it's own thing o_O?

The premise sounds like it's going to explore the girls' personal lives outside of their costumes a little more compared to the main series, and they don't even mention Super Hero High, so that'll be interesting to see develop. Still sounds like they'll be plenty of crime-fighting though ;).

Harley's role seems to be a little more villains or mischeivous compared to her counterpart in the main series, so I'm wondering if that will extend to the other traditional villains who are heroes in Super Hero High :ack:?

Also curious to see who make up the "Justice League Bros" :p.

It's interesting that they highlight Zatanna and Jessica Cruz, given neither have appeared in the main series yet and this would potentially be Jessica's animated debut :D.

Eldorado

Well, it's not Super Best Friends Forever but it's more closer than the current Superhero Girls. I wonder if this is a full-on reboot. Maybe the current plotline isn't just doing well financially that they decided to make a new take.

I also wonder if the voice actors from the original shorts will reprise their roles in a way. I also wonder why can't they just have Donna instead of Diana, and also I would've preferred Arisia instead of Jessica.

Frontier

Staff member
Tweet from Lauren making the announcement.

And one more tweet from Craig McCracken about it as well.
From the sounds of it, it looks like Lauren Faust will be basically redesigning and doing a completely new take on the property. It'll be interesting to see how different it looks to the main version...

Well, it's not Super Best Friends Forever but it's more closer than the current Superhero Girls. I wonder if this is a full-on reboot. Maybe the current plotline isn't just doing well financially that they decided to make a new take.

I also wonder if the voice actors from the original shorts will reprise their roles in a way. I also wonder why can't they just have Donna instead of Diana, and also I would've preferred Arisia instead of Jessica.
I doubt it's because it's not doing well financially, because DC Super Hero Girls merchandise is selling extremely well, on-top of all the material that takes place in the current 'verse of the brand ;).

I imagine, or hope, that the Webisodes, novels, graphic novels, and movies/specials will still be spearheaded by Shea Fontana and continue on as is :).

I am curious if we're going for a completely different voice cast or if that will carry over from the web-series and animated features. Though I expect Tara Strong will still be Harley and Grey Griffin will still play Wonder Woman, rather then Batgirl or Wonder Girl as in SBFF :ack:.

I'm not surprised they went with Jessica since she's the most prominent female Earth Green Lantern right now (and really the only prominent female Earth Green Lantern), though if this is anything like the other DC Super Hero Girls, Arisia probably still has a pretty good chance of appearing :anime:.

btgr

Would be great to see this show cast Disney Channel actresses & make fun of Disney Channel teen sitcoms.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apologies for the delay, but here is the press release for this exciting DC Super Hero Girls news:

DC SUPER HERO GIRLS EMBARK ON NEW ADVENTURES,
WITH NEW ANIMATED SERIES COMING TO CARTOON NETWORK IN 2018

Production has begun on DC Super Hero Girls, an all-new animated action-comedy series from Warner Bros. Animation and based on characters from DC Entertainment. Featuring fresh character designs and storytelling from Emmy® Award–winning producer Lauren Faust (Super Best Friends Forever, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends), DC Super Hero Girls will be coming to Cartoon Network in 2018.

The world may know them as Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Batgirl, but not-so-typical teenagers Diana, Kara and Barbara, alongside their Super Hero friends have much more to deal with than just protecting the citizens of Metropolis from some of the most sinister school-aged Super-Villains of the DC Universe. After all, being teens is tough enough, what with school, friends, family and the chaos that comes with managing a social life. But add super powers and a secret identity to the mix, and things can get a lot more complicated.

Sure, gal pals Bumblebee, Zatanna and Green Lantern Jessica Cruz are always there to lend an ear, a shoulder to cry on, and a fist to punch with, and their bros in the Justice League amp up the fun whether they’re at a concert or taking down a crime ring. But what happens when Diana and her favorite study buddy and fencing partner, Tatsu, can’t agree on how to dole out justice as Wonder Woman and Katana? Or when Barbara finds out her Gotham-Con bestie is teen-fiend Harley Quinn? Along with all their friends, foes and frenemies, this squad of super teens navigates the unique growing pains that come when you’re a teenager trying to fight the battles of the world and the battles of growing up at the same time.

The new series is a global initiative with Cartoon Network and builds on the successful DC Super Hero Girls direct-to-video movies as well as digital webisodes launched in 2015 and viewed by millions of fans on the DC Super Hero Girls YouTube channel, as well as the DC Super Hero Girls mobile app.

Sam Register (Teen Titans Go!, Justice League Action) serves as executive producer.

About DC Super Hero Girls
In partnership with Warner Bros. Consumer Products and DC Entertainment, the DC Super Hero Girls franchise provides kids with a relatable world filled with aspirational characters, immersive stories and action-packed missions that inspire viewers to be smart, courageous and empowered to be an everyday Super Hero. Centered around the most renowned DC Super Heroes (Supergirl, Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Bumblebee) and Super-Villains (Harley Quinn, Catwoman, Poison Ivy) as they learn to develop and harness their super powers, work as a team and strengthen their friendships, while still getting their homework done on time.

DC Super Hero Girls is an all-encompassing universe based on the well-known DC characters. DC Super Hero Girls encourages kids to discover their own super-heroic potential with new animated content, including webisodes, TV specials, and made-for-video movies; as well as a merchandise program across toys (including action figures and action dolls), costumes and role play, apparel and accessories, publishing and many other categories, and supported by best-in-class partners including Mattel, LEGO, Rubie’s Costumes, Jerry Leigh, and Random House, among many others.

About Warner Bros. Animation
Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) is one of the leading producers of animation in the entertainment industry, producing and developing projects for multiple platforms, both domestically and internationally. WBA’s TV series include Justice League Action, Teen Titans Go! and the upcoming Unikitty! for Cartoon Network; Be Cool Scooby-Doo!, Bunnicula, Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, The Tom and Jerry Show, New Looney Tunes and Wacky Races for Boomerang; Mike Tyson Mysteries for Adult Swim; Right Now Kapow for Disney XD; Green Eggs and Ham for Netflix; and Young Justice: Outsiders for the upcoming DC-branded digital service. As home to the iconic animated characters from the DC Comics, Hanna-Barbera, MGM and Looney Tunes libraries, WBA also produces highly successful animated films — including the DC Universe Animated Original Movies — for DVD, Blu-ray® and digital media. One of the most-honored animation studios in history, WBA has won six Academy Awards®, 35 Emmy® Awards, the George Foster Peabody Award, an Environmental Media Award, a Parents’ Choice Award, the HUMANITAS Prize, two Prism Awards and 20 Annie Awards (honoring excellence in animation).

About DC Entertainment
DC Entertainment, home to iconic brands DC (Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, The Flash, etc.), Vertigo (Sandman, Fables, etc.) and MAD, is the creative division charged with strategically integrating across Warner Bros. and Time Warner. DC Entertainment works in concert with many key Warner Bros. divisions to unleash its stories and characters across all media, including but not limited to film, television, consumer products, home entertainment, and interactive games. Publishing thousands of comic books, graphic novels and magazines each year, DC Entertainment is one of the largest English-language publishers of comics in the world.

About Cartoon Network
Cartoon Network is Turner’s global entertainment brand and the # 1 animation network in the U.S., offering the best in original content for kids and families with such hits as, Adventure Time, The Powerpuff Girls, Steven Universe, We Bare Bears and The Amazing World of Gumball. Seen in 192 countries and over 400 million homes, Cartoon Network inspires the next generation of creators and innovators by engaging its audience at the intersection of creativity and technology. Its award-winning pro-social initiative, Stop Bullying: Speak Up is an acknowledged and often used resource for kids and adults looking for tools that can assist in dealing with the ongoing issue of bullying.

Turner, a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, sports, animation and young adult multi-platform content for consumers around the world. Turner brands and businesses include CNN/U.S., HLN, CNN International and CNN.com, TBS, TNT, TCM, truTV, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Adult Swim, Turner Sports, Bleacher Report, FilmStruck, Super Deluxe, iStreamPlanet and ELEAGUE.

juan1193

Probably because this is a DC show highlighting the females of the DCU and with that premise in mind it'd be stupid to not include Diana. As for Jessica, well she not only brings diversity to the table but she is probably the 2nd or 3rd most prominent GL in current DC lore.

Also Diana and Jessica > Donna and Arisia.

Dudley

Staff member
It's good to see Lauren Faust work on this. It'll be guaranteed to be good. But will it become a success like MLP? Hopefully, but I'm doubtful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
So this is gonna be DC's answer to FIM. If it replaces TTGo the i'm cool with it.

bigdaddy313

Wait a second, their is a new show on Cartoon Network for the girl demographic on the so called boys network?

That is huge, I guess the warner acquisition has made big changes.

Last edited:

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
So this is gonna be DC's answer to FIM. If it replaces TTGo the i'm cool with it.
It's good to see Lauren Faust work on this. It'll be guaranteed to be good. But will it become a success like MLP? Hopefully, but I'm doubtful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MLP FiM was lightning in a bottle for a wide variety of reasons, it's biggest being absolutely no-one having faith or hype pre-hand. MLP was one of those franchises that was the butt of the joke on all sides, and in retrospect unfairly. The simple fact it was good exploded expectations and generated hype practically unheard of for the franchise. DC Super Hero Girls doesn't have any of that against or for it, DC is a very respected brand, a few recent examples notwithstanding. Even if it does become a hit and CN's new golden child (which I really hope for), it won't be anywhere near the hit MLP has become because not much actually can at this point.

Frontier

Staff member
I don't think DC Super Hero Girls really needs to match My Little Pony when it's already brought in some major revenue for WB/DC by this point ;).

I just hope this cartoon reboot doesn't mean we're doing away with the current incarnation of DC Super Hero Girls and all the work Shea Fontana has put into the franchise :(.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
That announcement made a vein pop up on my forehead. Eh... so now, four different continuities for DCSHG now - everything Fontana does, Yee's novels, the LEGO material, and now this show.

Frontier

Staff member
That announcement made a vein pop up on my forehead. Eh... so now, four different continuities for DCSHG now - everything Fontana does, Yee's novels, the LEGO material, and now this show.
And they say DC doesn't offer variety :rolleyes2:.

I do hope this doesn't effect anything Fontana is doing. At least Yee and the Lego material is pretty much based on what she's done, but this seems like it might be a completely different thing altogether...

Dudley

Staff member
And they say DC doesn't offer variety :rolleyes2:.

I do hope this doesn't effect anything Fontana is doing. At least Yee and the Lego material is pretty much based on what she's done, but this seems like it might be a completely different thing altogether...

And this new series will diverge from the webseries too.

I've followed (not too closely, mind you), other Mattel shows about gimmicky high schools and teens that go to them (Monster High, Ever After High), and this is par the course.

Another factor concerning how well this show does is how well CN treats it. They might give it the same treatment as Justice League Action and go almost completely unnoticed for the most part.

SuperBumbleB

Someone on Twitter asked if it was a continuation of the web series or if it's a complete reboot.

Lauren Faust repeated by saying it's a "complete reboot"

Frontier

Staff member
I'm really happy to know that Fontana is still working on DC Super Hero Girls and there's still plenty we can expect from the main series in 2018 :D.

As far as CN...well, I hope it gets better promotion and timeslot then JLA was given, but when it comes to CN's handling of their cartoons, especially DC-related, my expectations are fairly low :shrug:.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts