"DC Super Hero Girls: Super Shorts" Talkback (Spoilers)

Dudley

Staff member
I shouldn’t be surprised by the huge count. YouTube is a better avenue for this kind of series as has been proven for other girl targeted series tied to a toyline, so it’s good that they plan to make so much content on that platform, especially since it’ll get a better reach than what CN will likely give.
Also, that equals up to 6 22-minute episodes in terms of running time. Meaning the TV version might have a shorter than normal episode order for the season, maybe.

Harley16

I think CN will have a bunch of episodes whenever it starts but with the reason young justice was cancelled was because of the toys . I'm thinking maybe they're waiting till after toy fair to set a premiere date maybe . Enough time to get some merchandise out before the premiere maybe or just see who's interested . As far as time slot I know a lot are worried about that but here's my take . A show like JL action was great however I feel like if CN aired it during nights it would've given them better ratings . Mostly because while it was great I don't think it fit in with what CN wanted to have in my opinion . Maybe that's also why CN didn't air it much sadly . This new dc super hero girls though it to me fits in with what CN wants . Also I think Faust answered a question about cartoon kid shows in today's time and it sounded kind of like what CN seems to want today . So with all that I don't think there is a big worry about its time slot . I'm more worried about more seasons going forward because of toy sales . Mattel didn't do that great with the original as far as getting a lot of characters out . So this is definitely going to be interesting as it goes from CN to merch and all that . I gotta say though I'm loving the shorts they're excellent and fantastic.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Batgirl pretty much dominated the other DCSHG, while it's not a surprise she is could be on these super shorts as well. The primer video on her last week revealed she's a transfer student so stands to reason she might be POV of the audience for the first couple of episodes. Anyway, the show isn't clicking with me yet. The physical comedy is a nice touch though, like Batgirl getting dragged into a parked car or the bus dropping down on the city.

Frontier

Staff member
I think CN will have a bunch of episodes whenever it starts but with the reason young justice was cancelled was because of the toys . I'm thinking maybe they're waiting till after toy fair to set a premiere date maybe . Enough time to get some merchandise out before the premiere maybe or just see who's interested . As far as time slot I know a lot are worried about that but here's my take . A show like JL action was great however I feel like if CN aired it during nights it would've given them better ratings . Mostly because while it was great I don't think it fit in with what CN wanted to have in my opinion . Maybe that's also why CN didn't air it much sadly . This new dc super hero girls though it to me fits in with what CN wants . Also I think Faust answered a question about cartoon kid shows in today's time and it sounded kind of like what CN seems to want today . So with all that I don't think there is a big worry about its time slot . I'm more worried about more seasons going forward because of toy sales . Mattel didn't do that great with the original as far as getting a lot of characters out . So this is definitely going to be interesting as it goes from CN to merch and all that . I gotta say though I'm loving the shorts they're excellent and fantastic.
It also seems like the animation production has been taking a while, since I think they only just finished the pilot by the end of last year.

Although maybe they worked on all these shorts first :sweat:?

Harley16

I'm thinking maybe they worked on a couple episodes first and than worked on the premiere episode maybe along with the shorts . The premiere I think was about them all attending high school . Than they all end up in detention and Babs figures out they're all heroes . At least I think that was it or something like that and my guess is it's four 11 minute episodes that add up into a hour special . Maybe the Babs stuff in the get to know Batgirl short is actually stuff from the first episode ?

Harley16

I think there is a difference obviously to both series which is actually a good thing . I mean who wants to watch the same thing over and over again and again if it's supposed to be a reboot . As far as both series go I think both have great things and not so great things . However I will say I can see with this new one the type of animation we have today and I love it .

zoombie

Watching these shorts made me realize, Lauren Faust leaving My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic after 1 season was the best thing that could have happened to that show. Barbara is season 1 Twilight Sparkle, in that it is the Batgirl show and the other characters just supporting characters, that is the way season 1 of MLP was with Twilight.

These aren't bad, but I hope this show evolves to just being about Barbara, do we have to get rid of Lauren for the show to evolve?

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I had a feeling a different actor would voice James Gordon here, but I figured Tom Kane would've voiced him here. He's voiced him in many Batman Arkham games , and was with Tara Strong's Batgirl in the Lego DC Super Villains video game. Plus, given how much MLP influence she put in this series , this could've also been a small hint of Powerpuff Girls influence by having them once again voice a father and daughter.

Frontier

Staff member
Here is today's episode. Fred Tatasciore makes a good James Gordon.

#BatCatcher | DC Super Hero Girls: Super Shorts
So Babs is a Batman fangirl and calls herself Batgirl...but she's afraid of Bats. Could she even stand a day in the Batcave :p?

I wonder if we'll actually see Batman and Robin show up, and if Batgirl trying to show up Robin to be Batman's sidekick might continue into the series ;)?

Good on Jim for being to sleep through most of that racket. Tatasciore sounds solid as Gordon, and he continues his trek to voice as many incidental male characters as he can :cool:.
I hope more shorts include more of the girls, and maybe even the villain girls :ack:.
Watching these shorts made me realize, Lauren Faust leaving My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic after 1 season was the best thing that could have happened to that show. Barbara is season 1 Twilight Sparkle, in that it is the Batgirl show and the other characters just supporting characters, that is the way season 1 of MLP was with Twilight.

These aren't bad, but I hope this show evolves to just being about Barbara, do we have to get rid of Lauren for the show to evolve?
They've talked about the other characters having stuff going on and the other spotlight videos (while narrated by Barbara) and interviews seems to indicate the other girls will still get solid screentime, so hopefully it isn't just a "Batgirl and friends" show :).

Harley16

I'm wondering with there being 52 shorts in all and if the get to know shorts count into that 52 . If they do and we are basically getting 2 shorts every week than that's 26 weeks of shorts . 26 weeks would take us into the last week of June / first week of July possibly . So I'm thinking the show could have a summer premiere maybe . If not than I'm gonna say September and that's a long wait .

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I kind of doubt they will premiere all the shorts weekly without taking any breaks. Some might even be released simultaneously as the show is airing on TV.

zoombie

They've talked about the other characters having stuff going on and the other spotlight videos (while narrated by Barbara) and interviews seems to indicate the other girls will still get solid screentime, so hopefully it isn't just a "Batgirl and friends" show :).

Still Barbara narrate it makes it's about her. It is like Twilight's friendship letters in season 1. Even if you had an episode that is about the other characters, Twilight would write a letter and state a lesson. It was until season 2, when every main character got to sent letters to Celestia.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is a bad show, or this is a deal breaker or not, just a little nip pick.

atomicbattery

Batgirl is an easy entry point for young girl viewers. No superpowers. She gets to be awestruck, dazzled and amazed by what she discovers about her new friends, just like the kids at home. I’m sure all the girls will get their focused stories and time to shine once Babs gets settled in at Metropolis High.

Frontier

Staff member
Batgirl is an easy entry point for young girl viewers. No superpowers. She gets to be awestruck, dazzled and amazed by what she discovers about her new friends, just like the kids at home. I’m sure all the girls will get their focused stories and time to shine once Babs gets settled in at Metropolis High.
Plus, y'know, the Batman connection :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So next week is Barb again. I'm sensing a pattern. lol. But looks like they're exploring her part-time job at the Burrito Bucket. And probably how she narrowly avoids getting fired every week, lol.

Frontier

Staff member
So next week is Barb again. I'm sensing a pattern. lol. But looks like they're exploring her part-time job at the Burrito Bucket. And probably how she narrowly avoids getting fired every week, lol.
I guess you could say each short is introducing an aspect of Babs' life on this show:

1 - Her as Batgirl (and I guess dealing with her dad).

2 - Her friendship with Supergirl.

3 - Her being a Batman fangirl.

4 - Her part time job.

I wonder if the next one will be her at school :p?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
My inclination is to assume this is a My Little Pony character?

Yeah, Rarity is a My Little Pony character. Due to Lauren Faust's work on Friendship Is Magic, many people are making comparisons to the characters there. Lauren pitting out a tweet like this supports the idea.

Here's an extended preview for next week.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts