"DC Super Hero Girls" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Show!

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 22.2%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
47 "#TheBirdAndTheBee"

First of all, Karen Beecher bouncing all around this episode was adorable. Makes sense her love of the Just Before Dawn movies finally came in handy, lol. Also dug how they took some of the romance cliches and showed how they go wrong like Carter breaking a window with the rock. And like Barbara last week, there is a slightly creepy side to Karen when she instantly i.d.'s Shiera and finds 17 of her social media accounts. heh heh.

Second of all, wow, very impressive to see they adapted the reincarnation aspect of Hawkman and Hawkgirl, hinted at past lives like Nighthawk and Cinnamon, maybe even Silent Knight and Lady Penbrook, used the Shiera Sanders name, and brought in Hath-Set.

I dug how well Karen and Carter paired up and how entertaining Karen's ideas panned out. But so loved the subtle stuff like when Karen says there's another way and thinks about pushing Shiera in front of bus so Carter can save her, he agrees, she looks up a bus schedule, and he clarifies. And of course, when they're both giddy about the date. :D Or stop Hath-Set in his tracks, defeat a villain with a technicality. heh heh.

Carter's sacrifice at the end to break the spell was a noble choice. But I gotta say, it's not full proof. The plan fails if Shiera remembers on her own (which you could argue did by the implications her last scene) or Hath-Set will get impatient and just try to force things to advance along (sort of like what Shadow Thief did on JLU). I mean, they left the door open. I'm curious if they'll pick up on it in season 2 and have her become Hawkgirl.

Nice detail with Shiera working at a Big Borger (although the closed captions bungled it as Big Boiger, if you look at the signage or compare to "#Abracadabrapalooza", it's the same burger joint franchise). It was a Big Borger that Zatanna went to once when her magic started to first manifest in "#Abracadabrapalooza". And of course, a brief shot of one of Ra's al Ghul's posters along with all the tour posters in the Lazarus Pit we saw in "#LeagueOfShadows Part 1" are in the hall outside Shiera's dressing room.

Lastly, I'm gonna say, what was up with that monster at the start of the episode?! Looked like a giant Technicolor Jacket Pharaoh.

48 "#FantasticBeastsAndHowToMindThem"

Ah yes, the lesson about having a wild animal as a pet and learning responsibility.

I liked the little touch of Julia having helped fix Diana's armor. Intestine socks was amusing. Smart callback by having Steve love ice cream like Diana at the start of the series. And of course, naming him Steve.

Very cute scene when everyone grouped in with Diana to hide Steve from Mr. Chapin and no way he was falling for their lie, heh. Especially with those big grins. heh. Loved how Jessica was once again the lone voice of reason and as the pet lover she was the one who made Steve spit Hammy out.

And Ace. Bringing the towel then just sitting in place to avoid the trees, not reacting. Priceless. :D

Interesting they were able to get past censors with the Hydra, but I guess since it came back with 6 heads nullified any concerns. And they did the white card and slash marks in darkness to skip the actual decapitation.

I suppose that was a loophole, Diana kept saying she couldn't return home until she finished her quest but it was where Steve belonged and she was on the beach for a minute. But now we know in this canon, she can return to the island at any time.

What a double header of gut wrenchers.

I'm kind of surprised they went with Shaira (Shiera? Her name feels so all over the place) instead of Kendra here, but it felt like they were going a little more Golden Age/classic feel for her character even if her depiction was as a decidedly modern girl. Of course, she's definitely presented as a tough beauty you don't want to mess with, as always ;).
Yes, Shiera Sanders - the name of the Golden Age Hawkgirl from the comics, debuting in Flash Comics #1 in January 1940. ;)

Frontier

Staff member
Carter's sacrifice at the end to break the spell was a noble choice. But I gotta say, it's not full proof. The plan fails if Shiera remembers on her own (which you could argue did by the implications her last scene) or Hath-Set will get impatient and just try to force things to advance along (sort of like what Shadow Thief did on JLU). I mean, they left the door open. I'm curious if they'll pick up on it in season 2 and have her become Hawkgirl.
Yeah, I think her getting her memories back is inevitable and probably why she agreed to the date in the first place. I hope this doesn't turn out like Vixen in the original where they introduce her as a civilian but never actually feature her as a hero :sweat:.
Lastly, I'm gonna say, what was up with that monster at the start of the episode?! Looked like a giant Technicolor Jacket Pharaoh.
Yeah, I thought that was going to be connected to Hath-Set for a second there :confused:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out a new DC Super Hero Girls episode, today at 4pm ET/PT on Cartoon Network!

dcsuperherogirlsTVartmay212018.jpg
DC Super Hero Girls “#SchoolGhoul”
Episode Debut - October 4, 2020

When Tatsu Yamashiro asks for help at a haunted all-girls academy, Barbara Gordon and Kara Danvers find themselves caught up in something much bigger than a ghost hunt.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'm happy they got in a follow up on #SoulSisters and Katana finally. They didn't do much with her despite the hype, just a short and an appearance in that egg episode. And I also liked this was a smaller cast again rather than all the girls - I tend to like those formats more.

I enjoyed the humor in this episode. I found it hilarious that Kara - the alien with a ton of cool super powers who didn't age and her younger cousin is now older than - doesn't believe in ghosts. And even more funny when Tatsu pointed out she literally turned her into one, then Kara rebukes that as proof. lol. Or the comedic aspects like in Scooby or the older black and white comedies with the skeptic not seeing the evidence like the believers in the story or splitting up. Nice touch to make that third bit audioless when Kara looks in the closet. It was also a funny little touch that Kara didn't question the assembled sandwich's presence, because we the audience can assume she builds her sandwich's at super speed anyway and she's desensitized to it to a point that she assumed she made that sandwich herself without thinking. Or Katana has a bit of a brain fart and forgot Headmaster McDougal was still just a regular person and would react naturally to seeing them bust in his office and seeing a ghost.

That was an interesting reworking of Silver Banshee from a villain to a restless victim. The whole thing with the clan isn't totally new and I recall was part of her comic origin but she got her powers from a witch or something. I think even Bevin was from the comics, too. I did like that they did still show she's enough of a match for Supergirl with her intangibility and sonic scream and can even cancel out Katana's attack with her scream. But heh, leave it to Batgirl's goof up to distract her long enough. I loved they addressed the bit with Tatsu being able to communicate with the souls in Soultaker but do a spin on it with Siobhan essentially possessing her and showing her the memories leading up to her murder.

Loved all the Ghostbusters nods - Batgirl's Ecto Goggles, Proton Pack, and P.K.E. Meter. And even Kara chomping on chips reminded me of Holtzmann's scene early in Answer The Call. Some of the story elements reminded me of The Real Ghostbusters. Sneaking into an all-girls academy to solve a case happened "If I Were a Witch Man" or a castle brought brick by brick to a major east coast city only for supernatural activity to break out happened in "The Bird of Kildarby." Though I'm curious which of these were intentional and which were incidental.

And great ending with Babs getting the best of Kara, still trying to the cool skeptic.

Frontier

Staff member
Silver Banshee was a surprise pull. Other than Batman Unlimited and Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, it feels like we haven't seen her in animation in a while (she wasn't even in the original DCSHG). This is probably the most ghostly she's ever been depicted, and I thought it was neat that they went for a more Victorian era ghost compared to her traditional Supervillain duds :).

Y'know what private schools mean? School uniforms :anime:.

It's nice to see Katana interacting with more of the cast other than Diana :cool:.

Look, it's Glomgold from Ducktales! Or more like Keith Ferguson doing his Glomgold voice :p.

Did those laces say "I Bat Batman" :sweat:?

Supergirl being the one who was quick to dismiss the ghost was a surprise, since you'd think the science-based Bat would fill that role, though I guess Kara's from a science-based race :rolleyes2:.

Y'know, I could believably see Supergirl wearing her costume under the uniform, but I kinda wonder how Tatsu and Babs changed so quick, Maybe they had a split second transformation sequence :tweety:.

Has the show ever addressed Supergirl's vulnerability to magic? I only ask because I felt like it would come up this episode. When Kara crashed through Banshee and fell and rubbed her arm, I was honestly wondering if passing through Banshee made her weaker :confused:.

For a second I thought Banshee would go like her comic counterpart and eschew justice for vengeance, but she just wanted her descendant to do right by her in the end. I guess it means we'll likely not see her again, but a happy way to cap off the story nevertheless ;).

Orangesilentplanet

Guys, the last few new episodes of DC Super Hero Girls haven't shown up on iTunes? Do any of you have any ideas why?

--jthree

Orangesilentplanet

Just looked up. There seems to be no season two indication, and the arrow doesn't go past the first part of the Supergirl/Two parter.

Is Apple tv the same thing as iTunes?

--jthree

Yojimbo. I got it to come on iTunes, but not on my Apple TV app, which I guess replaced my iTunes when I upgraded a system. Anyway, I got the episodes to come up on my iPad, though not my computer. Sorry for any confusions.

--jthree

Last edited:

Orangesilentplanet

It took weeks for the most recent episodes to show up on other services. Google Play just recently got them around this week, Amazon around 2 weeks earlier

You know, for all this talk that these streaming changes are supposed to make things easier, they make things more difficult

-jthree

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out a new DC Super Hero Girls episode, today at 9:15am ET/PT on Cartoon Network!

DC Super Hero Girls “#AwesomeAuntAntiope”
Episode Debut - December 19, 2020

Diana always preferred her "fun aunt" Antiope to her strict mother, but when Antiope visits Metropolis and takes the girls out on the town, Diana sees her aunt's antics in a whole new light.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note
: Before this episode, at 9:00am, Cartoon Network will air a new episode of Teen Titans Go! where the DC Super Hero Girls guest-star, which can be discussed here - "Teen Titans Go!" Season Six Talkback (Spoilers)

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I really enjoyed this one, amid a string of WW-centric episodes. The parts I liked was seeing Diana's past on Themyscira and the structure of having a childhood idol but as time passes, that allure and facade fades and you see that idol as a flawed person. Definitely something relatable for a lot of people, usually like a mom, dad, uncle, or aunt. Neat tidbit of Lilly Aspell reprising young Diana. Another relatable detail I liked was how sisters Hippolyta and Antiope are total opposites: serious and strict and well... you see. Or the realization of the daughter becoming like her mother later on. That was a brutal punishment, having to wipe ALL those weapons. lol. But Antiope comes right back on a Pegasus to invite Diana to go see a real Cyclops. I love the implications there all sorts of Greek mythological beasts on Themyscira, too.

Cramming for finals? Ooo, so season 2 will be their junior year? Hmm.

It was interesting to see an Amazon go totally wild about man's world. But given the opening, it fits that it would be Antiope. So much so she forgets about her mission, lol. Zee eating the burger, Karen struggling to keep in the pain from the hot sauce, and Antiope chugging it was awesome. But them being enchanted by Antiope's coolness and logic, lol, and going from one thing to another. The bar brawl was funny. Playing cards against the Royal Flush Gang, hilarious. The cop deciding to just arrest everyone, lmao. Antiope's assumption about parked vehicles, :D. Guess we know where she got the motorcycle and jacket from.

Ah yes! Speaking of myths, a Kraken! Neat. Loved the little detail that Supergirl couldn't make a dent because of magic skin and got hurt for trying. Wonder Woman's 'no time' to get a Gorgon was amusing. But just loved that it all came full circle to one of Hippolyta's lessons and well, another lesson of studying to always be prepared, but realizing there's a 3rd way to stop the Kraken. It was a neat little detail that Wonder Woman invokes Hypnos, the Greek personification of sleep. And the floor, Stygian bloom while a little obscure, is also from Greek myth.

Loved Batgirl's wish came true and finals got cancelled. And well Metro High is gonna have to be rebuilt. And Wonder Woman ordering Antiope to clean up her own mess, just a perfect ending. Definitely one my top 4 favorites for season 1.

Frontier

Staff member
They definitely styled Antiope after the movie version, right down to April Winchell doing a riff on Robin Wright's Antiope voice, although while movie Antiope was also more open when it came to Diana's training, I think she was still a lot more responsible than this version of Antiope :sweat:.

Speaking of the movie, how cool is it that they actually got Lilly Aspell from the movies to reprise the role here :cool:?

That moment when you realize being the "fun aunt" doesn't necessarily make you the best person :ack:.

Ha! Finals. Man those were the days (not) :p.

Antiope mentioned 'men" three times. Yeah, she's definitely been getting some action while away from Themyscira :rolleyes2:.

What's a pacifist like Jessica Cruz doing during that bar fight? Did she just stand around glaring menacingly :confused:?

The Royal Flush Gang! That was fun. A shame we didn't get to see the girls actually fight them, but hopefully we do get to see the group again, especially with those designs :).

I thought it was irresponsible enough for Antiope to get teenage girls involved in a barfight, let alone taking them to an illegal card game that gets raided by the police and basically makes the girls fugitives. Would it be more embarrassing getting arrested in their civilian identities instead of their hero ones? And she even stole a car to help them get away! Did they even return the car :mad:?

The girls looked fantastic in those greek outfits :D.

I'm glad the show got to "redeem" the depiction of Hipployta in this episode where her more stern and serious stance on Diana's training ends up being what saves the day and Diana acting more like her mother is treated as a good thing rather than bad :).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
What's a pacifist like Jessica Cruz doing during that bar fight? Did she just stand around glaring menacingly :confused:?
Probably making shields.
The girls looked fantastic in those greek outfits :D.
I heard in one of the European countries, that invocation scene was cut because of concerns it looked like witchcraft. So it was just the beginning part with Diana then the Stygian Bloom popped up.
I'm glad the show got to "redeem" the depiction of Hipployta in this episode where her more stern and serious stance on Diana's training ends up being what saves the day and Diana acting more like her mother is treated as a good thing rather than bad :).
Good catch.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I heard in one of the European countries, that invocation scene was cut because of concerns it looked like witchcraft. So it was just the beginning part with Diana then the Stygian Bloom popped up.
Oh, I thought it would've been because the outfits were seen as too revealing or something, but I guess that makes sense o_O.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out a new half-hour DC Super Hero Girls episode, today at 11am ET/PT on Cartoon Network!

DC Super Hero Girls “#FreshPrincessOfRenFaire, Parts 1-2”
Episode Debut - December 27, 2020

A fun day at the Renaissance Faire takes a dark turn when our heroes clash with a princess-eating dragon.

Comments?

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
Was Zee supposed to be sympathetic in this episode?
Personally, I found the part where she cried over wanting "one day" as a princess eye-roll-inducing like she's already one of the most popular people in school, probably gets asked out all the time, lives in a penthouse with her famous magician father, has magical powers, is a superhero, heck they dedicated an entire episode to how she doesn't have any insecurities or fears so it's not like she lives a super hard life where she never gets pampered or paid attention to.
If anything I found her more annoying this episode, since she's giving Diana a hard time over being a foreigner who doesn't understand how things work.
I liked the second half far better because it focused on the girls actually fighting against something, but in all honestly didn't feel like this needed to be a whole half hour.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It felt like they had a strong idea with the princess theme but it got front loaded with too many gags and end loaded with a really long fight but both parts ended up a little too short in runtime but not enough to edit it down to one episode.

I will say the gags in Part 1 were a little Tex Avery with Ember being foiled left and right. I thought the falcon bit was probably the funniest. And did I love Kara and Zee stopping Babs from singing – not only because those were funny moments but Tara Strong as Barbara Gordon as a minstrel was nails to a chalkboard to me. So Kara was just there to eat and laugh at geeks, ha ha, nice little callback to "#SchoolGhoul" and Karen's initial concern turns out to be true, heh heh.

The Supergirl-Ember fight was really enjoyable – Kara getting pulverized by the first fire attack, trying out the mace, the giant fireball, the trash talk. And on one hand they did telegraph it would be a Wonder Woman-Zatanna focused story but on the other hand it did kinda suck the others couldn't hold a candle in the fight and had to eventually get swept off the board. Bumblebee had the least to do out all of them. Still, Jessica got in a lot of cool construct work – making the bow and arrow set, making a shield then using it as a surfboard to ride the flames to take out the water tower leg.

And it was a great ending to cap everything off, Karen notices a page depicting their battle. Overall, it was a mixed bag and shouldn't have been the season finale but there were still moments of greatness in both parts.

But now having seen all of season 1, I'm still of the mind that #LeagueOfShadows or even #AllyCat were better season finales. Even the latter because season 1 starts off with Lex Luthor in his faux nice guy persona filming a commercial and in #Ally, he's a villain and suffers a defeat/setback. Whereas #League ends with a literal The End.

Weird the 2 parter isn't on CN's site, Amazon, or iTunes yet. EDIT: On Amazon for $2.99/1.99, only Part 1 (I think) on iTunes as of 1 am Pacific.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I think this is the only two parter to not be written by one of the show's regular writers (unless she's coming back in season 2). It's written by Lindsay Kerns, who worked on Home: Adventures With Tip And Oh and Cleopatra In Space.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts