"DC Super Hero Girls" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Show!

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 22.2%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I was wondering why Ra's Al Ghul sounded familiar. As it turns out, his speaking voice is done by Sendhil Ramamurthy (voice of Khensu as well as Cleo's father in Cleopatra In Space). It's interesting to hear him voice a villain.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Part 1

I liked the focus was on probably the two most contrasting stars of the show, Karen and Kara.

Okay, again because of airing out of order or just cause... Hal, Barry, and Garth are now allowed inside the hideout. Probably the other boys, too.

A rock band as a front – interesting an unique approach to Ra's much like Bruce doing a reality TV series. Sendhil Ramamurthy was a nice choice right off his role in the Flash CW series. Wonder if he had the choice of singing, too, or he declined and they did a search and got Jason C. Miller. First animated appearances of Kitty Kumbata, White Willow, and Zeddmore Washington from the comics and were indeed League members originally.

Never did occur to me that a Kryptonian can't get conventional piercings or dye their hair a different color unless they do something extra to get it done and shrink down and go to Kandor for an earring. lol.

Pretty funny Karen got carried away by a mosh pit again. I think the first time was in #Beeline.

Idk, if it's a real thing but the LLB floor made me chuckle. Lower Lower Basement? Also the awkward push off when Karen hugged Kara in front of Ubu was cute. And Ra's almost breaking character to explain to Karen he meant rock and roll, lmao. Or the suspicious lyrics, rofl. We really mean it it! Literally! :D

I mean, it's not too hard considering, but seemed odd they didn't explain how Ra's knew Kara was Supergirl so he could target her at the secret show with Red Kryptonite.

The mind control sequence at the end was creeptastic.

Part 2

lmao, a Just Before Dusk video game, too? And the same scene in Part 1. heh. And the quibble about video game cutscenes, that got real. Lol.

When Hal teased Karen as "Karen Danvers" – "Karen Starr" popped in my brain because it was so similar.

Loved the Kite Man cameo and Kara ruining the sting.

And no one believes Karen on both counts. Bummer.

Great comedic timing with Karen and Ubu wondering the same thing about being at the concert.

Oh ok, classic Ra's goal but starting with bad music... ok.

Oi, guess we might see other colors of Kryptonite this or next season. But some of the effects of Red Kryptonite were well played.

Big song and dance at the end. Love conquers all I guess. But Ra's gets away. Not like they tried or really could.

Frontier

Staff member
Nice to see the Hero Girls and Boys hanging out with each other. Heck, it's also nice to see Barry and Hal chilling out :).

Sendhil Ramamurthy once again playing a DC villain as he voices Ra's Al Ghul with all the sophistication and subtle yet sinister scheming that defines him. I wasn't quite expecting Ra's usual bent of wiping out the dredge of humanity channeled through rock musing and hinging on destroying boy bands, but I guess it fits this show ;).

It's interesting they went for "Rahz" instead of the "Raysh" pronunciation. I'm pretty sure most animated works have defaulted to Raysh, while live-action stuff has gone back and forth on it. I don't know if anyone's ever definitively decided what's the correct pronunciation of his name is and I expect another cartoon will probably go back to "Raysh" :sweat:.

I think that's the first acid trip music sequence I've ever seen courtesy of Red Kryptonite o_O.

I love how Barry had to ask if Kara was really any different. I guess the only real difference is that Kara, for all her attitude and nonchalance, still restrains herself to basic morality and decency, especially when it comes to her friends :confused:.

I'm disappointed that they set up Ra's as band as these deadly fighters with their instruments even being weapons and we never get to see them actually fight. Then again they're probably all normals who likely don't stand a chance against a bunch of Super Hero Girls :sweat:.

They display all the different colored Kryptonite's on Karen's visor, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see them pop up now and then. Could have a lot of fun with Kara that way :anime:.

I love how Hal mocked Karen's love of boy bands only to get so into it. I also love how Garth was the shirtless one :p.

So the day is saved, thanks to boy bands and pop music. Not only does it actually win Kara over, but all the girls get in on dancing at the end. So, I guess don't feel bad about liking boy bands, because in-spite of everything they're still catchy and fun :rolleyes2:.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Sendhil Ramamurthy once again playing a DC villain as he voices Ra's Al Ghul with all the sophistication and subtle yet sinister scheming that defines him. I wasn't quite expecting Ra's usual bent of wiping out the dredge of humanity channeled through rock musing and hinging on destroying boy bands, but I guess it fits this show ;).
What other DC villain did he play?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
DC Super Hero Girls "League Of Shadows, Part 1"

Ra's Al Ghul as a Rock God? Lame.

Also, if DC wants me to buy the convoluted explanation as to why all recent projects have been mispronouncing Ra's name, Ra's needs to calls him himself "Raysche" here rather than "Razz". Otherwise DC is fulla poo. It probably always was about that one thing. The Nolan movies were the worst. They basically handed the world the ridiculous Bat-Growl, Bane's ludicrous voice, and the Razz thing, and we can't seem to get rid of any of them. It seriously bums me out. There are good things in the Nolan stuff, particularly The Dark Knight. But the only things other projects have taken from it is the bad stuff. It makes no sense.

Karen's makeover is atrocious. Kara should be in jail.

The one thing I liked was the stylized animated musical sequence at the end. But I want to be clear the ONLY thing I liked about it was the animation. But it was still the only thing in the episode I liked. **.

DC Super Hero Girls "League Of Shadows, Part 2"

Lame premise, and a non-ending means this is a bad episode. A couple of things I enjoyed though.

1. The animation in the battle scene in the climax was tight.

2. I like the kids exploring the controversy of videogame cut scenes at the beginning of the episode. For me they were always the reward for passing a tough videogame level but I see how some kids could lose patience with them and just want to get right back to playing the game.

But the episode was still a turd. *1/2.

Otaku-sempai

DC Super Hero Girls "League Of Shadows, Part 1"

Ra's Al Ghul as a Rock God? Lame.

Also, if DC wants me to buy the convoluted explanation as to why all recent projects have been mispronouncing Ra's name, Ra's needs to calls him himself "Raysche" here rather than "Razz". Otherwise DC is fulla poo. It probably always was about that one thing. The Nolan movies were the worst. They basically handed the world the ridiculous Bat-Growl, Bane's ludicrous voice, and the Razz thing, and we can't seem to get rid of any of them. It seriously bums me out. There are good things in the Nolan stuff, particularly The Dark Knight. But the only things other projects have taken from it is the bad stuff. It makes no sense.
In my head-canon, 'Rahzz' al Ghul is the correct, modern Arabic pronunciation, but 'Raysh' al Ghul was the pronunciation used in the dialect of the Physician's homeland (where Arabic might not have been their first language).

ShadowStar

In my head-canon, 'Rahzz' al Ghul is the correct, modern Arabic pronunciation, but 'Raysh' al Ghul was the pronunciation used in the dialect of the Physician's homeland (where Arabic might not have been their first language).

Chances are that you know this already, but I want to chime in that Dennis O'Neil has apparently insisted that the character's name is pronounced "Raysh". This is why BTAS, Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Young Justice have all been fairly consistent in calling him that. The Nolan trilogy did its own thing though, and that approach is absolutely fair game as well.

Frontier

Staff member
Chances are that you know this already, but I want to chime in that Dennis O'Neil has apparently insisted that the character's name is pronounced "Raysh". This is why BTAS, Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Young Justice have all been fairly consistent in calling him that. The Nolan trilogy did its own thing though, and that approach is absolutely fair game as well.
TV shows also kind of alternate on the proper pronunciation. People outside the League tend to use "Rahz" while people in the League use "Raysh."

Otaku-sempai

Oh yes, I am very aware of that. That is precisely why I favor the local dialect idea for Denny's pronunciation.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
DC Super Hero Girls "Awesome Aunt Antiope"

Antiope was a LOT cooler on Themyscria.

I love the dude saying he doesn't lose to girls and Kara telling him he was gonna hate this next part.

I laughed at Diana telling Antiope that's not how cars work.

Funny episode. ****.

DC Super Hero Girls "It's Complicated"

Hal Jordan is the worst and what I hate the most about him is that his repulsive behavior is constantly rewarded by the show. This was a particularly obnoxious episode for that reason. 1/2.

DC Super Hero Girls "The Bird And The Bee"

I loved that. Carter is the one boy hero who they've never done anything interesting with, so it was a good idea to give him a spotlight.

And I love that the solution to break the Curse of his and Shayera's doomed love is to simply stay away and not fall in love. That's just crazy enough to work.

I like how annoyed the villain was that he came early. That was a funny joke.

Fantastic episode. *****.

DC Super Hero Girls "Fantastic Beasts And How To Mind Them"

Nice ending.

Disposable but passable episode.

You'd figure the bloody hydra heads would have been a censor note, but since they grew back, it probably passed muster with CN.

It feels wrong that Ace is Babs' dog instead of Bruce's.

Not bad. ***.

DC Super Hero Girls "School Ghoul"

The first two thirds of the episode were awful because Kara and Babs are so annoying, but I found it weirdly compelling that Silver Banshee was not only sympathetic, but that she also made the right, moral choice at the end of the episode. It got better as it went along. ***.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out DC Super Hero Girls! Cartoon Network will premiere 2 new episodes, today starting at 4:00 p.m. ET/PT!

dcsuperherogirlsTVartmay212018.jpg
DC Super Hero Girls "#HousePest"
Episode Debut - September 20, 2020

When the Super Hero Girls discover that Diana doesn’t actually have a home, they gladly open theirs up to her… until they discover that life with an Amazon is much more challenging than they expected.

DC Super Hero Girls "#ItsComplicated"
Episode Debut - September 20, 2020

When Hal Jordan sees Carol Ferris with a new boyfriend, his ego can’t handle the rejection, resulting in the most absurd Lantern battle ever.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Frontier

Staff member
#HousePest

Honestly, I think Diana living in an Amazonian treehouse is super fitting and rustic ;).

Oh hey, Jessica Cruz's parents! You know I'm 88% sure they're just a normal husband and wife in the comics instead of a lesbian couple, but I guess if DC approved it they're not all that worked up about Jessica's living situation :p.

Maybe it's because the Beecher's create all their tech, but Karen seems a lot more affluent than I would've thought :confused:.

It was nice to see more of Kara's foster parents. It's kind of funny that both Danvers' wear glasses when Kara doesn't, even though it's usually a pre-requisite for her secret identity. Actually, a bespectaled brunette is usually Kara's go-to to disguise herself, so it's kind of neat that's how Eliza looks :proud:.

Diana's turned the Danvers' into monsters who think harsh, but probably true, statements build character so they think they're being nice :sweat:.

Oh hey, they confirmed the clay origin! I was wondering if they would go with that or the Zeus origin, but I'm happy they went with the former :anime:.

Being oblivious may as well be Jim Gordon's superpower :rolleyes2:.

Julia Kapatelis! The perfect person for Diana to live with and still embrace her Amazonian heritage, complete with a Jumpa plushie! And Vanessa is off to college so Julia can't be a terrible mother like she was in Bloodlines :).

#ItsComplicated

The more we find out about Hal and Carol's breakup, the worse Hal seems :(.

I was expecting Carol's fake boyfriend to be another Earth GL, but was anyone expecting them to use Sinestro like this? They really took the bromance between Hal and Sinestro from Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run and ran with it in the most surprising way possible o_O.

I love how Dex-Star is just there because it's Jessica's fault but he ends up falling in love with Hal. I'm sure that's got to sting for Jessica :rolleyes:.

This is probably the most Emotional Spectrum action in a DC cartoon since GL:TAS (setting aside individual Corps. appearances in JLA). They even flew away as a rainbow :D.

It was very brief but it was pretty nice to see Hal and Carol team-up against Sinestro :cool:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
#HousePest

That was quite a surprise that Diana was homeless this whole time. Explains why we never saw her home before this episode but totally syncs with Amazonian culture and the rules of her quest.

Loved everyone glaring at Babs about the secret trackers and she's oblivious. :D

Makes sense the Cruzes adopt a lot of animals. I know pretty much zip about Jessica's backstory in the comics her have two moms was just that. Feels like Cruz is grounded without driving privileges for awhile again. lol.

Diana waking up Zee over and over was hilarious and the coup de grace was Diana looked fabulous upon waking up and a blue bird comes to her. lmao. $20 for bottled water, rofl.

Also makes sense the Beechers are all teched out and that's totally not for Diana. And the show has its own Alexa and Roombas, heh heh.

Very amusing it all turned on Kara and she was getting psycho analyzed.

Also agree it was a nice surprise they confirmed Diana was sculpted from clay. That was really cute with Babs being so excited to have a sister and declared everything was perfect...

Funny way to introduce Julia Kapatelis. Nice and quick mention of Antiope who will appear in the show very soon. And the Jumpa plushie was cute. I guess you could be cynical about it and question the danger of showing a girl going with a stranger to their home. But. All in all, a very heart warming ending.

#ItsComplicated

Great follow up to Star Sapphire's debut even adding the backstory - not only did Hal break up with her by text, apparently that was on Valentine's Day. And even Sinestro thought Jessica was Hal's girlfriend which sets off Star even more. lmao. But they totally skirted past answering if any of the girls got valentines.

Glad they went with some classic tropes like none of Hal's traps worked and the voice of reason was totally misinterpreted by both sides. Even Barry's cameo was well done, with the look and the bad spelling. Hal and the ukulele on the bus was so funny, to me.

And great twist, Star and Sinestro were using each other to get Hal. I also liked the very brief Hal and Carol team up with the hockey plan. And the cat joke with Dex gloating about how Jess got careless about putting a chair too close to the counter. :D

Very hilarious ending with Hal making a decent point - being myself is enough - but still so awful. Also loved the look of the spectrum rainbow they glided away on.

I think I said it before but I really think Larfleeze is an easy add to this series. Hope he shows up next season.

Frontier

Staff member
That was quite a surprise that Diana was homeless this whole time. Explains why we never saw her home before this episode but totally syncs with Amazonian culture and the rules of her quest.
It's like the girls were speaking for the fandom on asking where Diana had been living all this time :rolleyes2:.
Loved everyone glaring at Babs about the secret trackers and she's oblivious. :D
She's taking the wrong messages from Batman :sweat:.
Makes sense the Cruzes adopt a lot of animals. I know pretty much zip about Jessica's backstory in the comics her have two moms was just that. Feels like Cruz is grounded without driving privileges for awhile again. lol.
She has a sister in the comics too, although I'm not sure if that's the case here :confused:.
Diana waking up Zee over and over was hilarious and the coup de grace was Diana looked fabulous upon waking up and a blue bird comes to her. lmao. $20 for bottled water, rofl.
Zatanna ordering $20 of water to bring up to her room was priceless :anime:.
Also makes sense the Beechers are all teched out and that's totally not for Diana. And the show has its own Alexa and Roombas, heh heh.
Never bring an Amazon home when your Alexa is named after a Greek Goddess o_O.
Also agree it was a nice surprise they confirmed Diana was sculpted from clay. That was really cute with Babs being so excited to have a sister and declared everything was perfect...
Now that I think about it, we've only really seen Jim Jr in Year One :(.
Funny way to introduce Julia Kapatelis. Nice and quick mention of Antiope who will appear in the show very soon. And the Jumpa plushie was cute. I guess you could be cynical about it and question the danger of showing a girl going with a stranger to their home. But. All in all, a very heart warming ending.
She's Wonder Woman. I'd be more worried for the strangers ;).
Glad they went with some classic tropes like none of Hal's traps worked and the voice of reason was totally misinterpreted by both sides. Even Barry's cameo was well done, with the look and the bad spelling. Hal and the ukulele on the bus was so funny, to me.
It was nice to see Barry doing Hal a solid :).
I think I said it before but I really think Larfleeze is an easy add to this series. Hope he shows up next season.
I'm down for it :D.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
So regarding the new episodes I gotta say I love Hal, the of It's Complicated just about killed me.
And I don't really like this version of Katana, I already thought her whole merciless anti-hero thing was stupid because they showed she put no thought into her methods besides "I'll steal the souls of everyone who I believe is doing wrong and anyone who disagrees with me" which just made her look like an idiot and in School Ghoul she doesn't really interact with the other characters in a fun or interesting way, she just felt like Diana without the fun parts.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out DC Super Hero Girls! Cartoon Network will premiere 2 new episodes, today starting at 4:00 p.m. ET/PT!

dcsuperherogirlsTVartmay212018.jpg
DC Super Hero Girls "#TheBirdAndTheBee"
Episode Debut - September 27, 2020

Meek little Karen Beecher is intimidated by big broody Carter Hall until she discovers Hawkman’s tragically romantic destiny and vows to use her vast knowledge of cheesy teen movies to help him reunite with his beloved.

DC Super Hero Girls "#FantasticBeastsAndHowToMindThem"
Episode Debut - September 27, 2020

Diana Prince receives a care package from home, and her pet-raising skills are soon put to the test when a mysterious egg hatches into a baby griffin.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Frontier

Staff member
#TheBirdandTheBee

It's nice to see the hero girls and boys working together and teaming-up instead of at each others throats. I'm down for positive male/female relationships on this show :).

I was honestly not expecting this show to actually address the Hawks' tragic romance and actually treat it with the proper pathos, but it was appreciated nevertheless. Heck, it was just nice to see Hawkman in a lead role in something for once and actually getting dialogue :anime:.

I also appreciated that they didn't treat Carter as a stalker like he sometimes comes off as in adaptions. Okay, maybe he did act a little stalker-y, but that was because of Karen thinking like a Twilight-fan :p.

I'm kind of surprised they went with Shaira (Shiera? Her name feels so all over the place) instead of Kendra here, but it felt like they were going a little more Golden Age/classic feel for her character even if her depiction was as a decidedly modern girl. Of course, she's definitely presented as a tough beauty you don't want to mess with, as always ;).

Nigthawk and Cinnamon cameos :cool:!

I wonder if we'll see her become Hawkgirl as this storyline continues? I was half-expecting her to fly in and take Hath-Set out :ack:.

It was pretty surreal to hear Stephanie Lemelin in a DC cartoon that's not Young Justice. I'm so used to her Artemis voice that I didn't even realize it was her until I read the credits o_O.

Hath-Set makes his appearance as the Hawks' nemesis hunting down and ruining their love across centuries. Considering he wasn't actually that big a deal in the DCAU besides the poisoning in the past, it was nice to see major baddie Hath-Set in animation for once. And he seems pretty formidable so far :eek:.

Pretty bittersweet note to end the episode on. Will the Hawks be able to find each other and love one another in peace? I hope so :(.

#FantasticBeastsAndHowToMindThem"

Julia really has settled into being Diana's adoptive mom, even kissing her goodbye :D.

Let this be a lesson folks, some Super Pets need to be in the wild and not in a domestic setting :knd1:.

"Steve?" Are we sure he wasn't named after Steve Trevor :rolleyes2:?

Jessica the only one talking sense and advocating for proper pet control :tweety:.

Diana...maybe you shouldn't be telling everyone that the gryphon making a mess is your fault. :rolleyes:.

I sometimes forget Wonder Woman can't fly in this show, but that made it all the more cool to see her flying on the back of Steve to fight the Hydra. I wonder if we'll ever get the Invisible Jet :elle:?

You would've thought an experienced Amazon like Diana would remember what happens when a Hydra loses it's head...but I guess we needed that reaction shot :paco:.

So...Diana can just boat to Themyscira whenever she wants? It looked for a second like there were bags under her eyes so I wonder if it takes a while to get there :confused:.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts