"DC Super Hero Girls" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Show!

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 22.2%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out a new DC Super Hero Girls episode, today at 4pm ET/PT on Cartoon Network!

dcsuperherogirlsTVartmay212018.jpg
DC Super Hero Girls “#TweenTitans”
Episode Debut - April 12th, 2020

Jessica Cruz is hired by billionaire Bruce Wayne to chaperone young Dick Grayson's Metropolis birthday bash and brings Karen Beecher along to help; the girls get more than they bargained for when the party guests reveal their titanic personalities.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Wow, the descriptor "Orphaned Circus Acrobat" was succinct yet kinda terrible. But we're talking about a modern day celebrity reality show. Then again the other 4 Titans are present and have their powers already even though they're tweens. Like Victor is already a cyborg... I guess we're not supposed to dwell on it but c'mon. I digress. It was funny to see the 24/7 Anchor and the Aiden actor in the conga line with Bruce. Also neat to see Vicki Vale and Harvey Dent are part of the show. Guess Dent is spared for now. But I'll say again, modernizing Bruce Wayne as a vapid lead of a Keeping Up With The Kardashians kind of reality series is the perfect facade. Points to whoever came up with it. Also loved the irony of Babs thinking Bruce is the worst and Dick is the cutest. :D

The pinata made me chuckle. Very subtle nod to Starro. It was also hilarious that Robin bashed everyone but Raven. Instead, he knocked her book away. The bit with Jessica volunteering Raven to clean up was cute. Then the ridiculous opulence of Wayne Manor East - a Greenhouse of Glass. lol. Much funnier it was Karen who snapped ultimately. And great editing, when she declares a time out - cut to them tied up and hung upside down above an open portal to Azarath. And yet, it's Karen who comes through by taking advantage of Cyborg's impulsive tendency to take up any challenge. The episode kinda left me wanting solo Karen episodes. Favorite GL construct was the bouncy castle.

That ending... poor Alfred.

Frontier

Staff member
So we finally get to properly meet Bruce Wayne...and he seems to be a shallow, self-absorbed, carefree, rich dude enjoying the limelight and who seems to be practically an absentee dad when it comes to Dick Grayson. Now, obviously, we know Bruce Wayne is Batman, so this is probably all some serious acting, but after the show's take on Superman and Robin I'm kind of dubious about the "real" Bruce is going to be like. Well, that and I'm pretty sure Bruce's parenting, or lack there of, is why Dick is so messed up in this interpretation :(.

It's cool that Vicki Vale is in this show and is apparently Bruce's love interest (Selina is obviously too young). I thought the black guy was Luke Fox, but it was really Harvey Dent? Well, it beats being a DA who will get his face scarred ;).

Babs hate-watching the show and hating on Bruce Wayne while loving the Dick Grayson on the show is such delicious dramatic irony :p.

Y'know, with Bruce leading on the cameras like that, I have to wonder how difficult that makes being Batman and getting to the cave. Unless they all leave by the time Bruce and Dick have to go out on patrol :confused:.

The Tween Titans...are basically the same five cartoon Titans we usually see, with the same designs they usually have albeit even more kiddified. I guess I can appreciate that they at least didn't bring all their usual VA's back, aside from Raven because Tara Strong is already part of the main cast. About the biggest difference, aside from their ages, is that they seem even more immature then on TTG!, to the point where they were barely even heroes in this episode :ack:.

I really don't like this show's take on Robin so I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the other Titans, but we ended up with just exaggerated takes on their personality traits. So Starfire is this hyperactive energy bomb, Beast Boy is this mischievous animal child, Cyborg is kind of basic, and Raven...well, Raven is actually surprisingly consistent from past portrayals o_O.

It's kind of neat that Keith Ferguson voices everyone in the Wayne family (Bruce, Alfred, and Dick) and you would probably never realize it until you saw the credits :).

Phil LaMarr as Cyborg? I think that's probably one of the few major black heroes he hasn't voiced at some point :cool:.

I never thought I'd hear a female VA play Beast Boy, but I guess it fit what with him being the youngest he's ever been :rolleyes2:.

You know it's bad when Alfred wants out :sweat:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I thought the black guy was Luke Fox, but it was really Harvey Dent? Well, it beats being a DA who will get his face scarred ;).
Yes, Faust herself said so.

Y'know, with Bruce leading on the cameras like that, I have to wonder how difficult that makes being Batman and getting to the cave. Unless they all leave by the time Bruce and Dick have to go out on patrol :confused:.
Alfred did mention to Jessica and Karen they aren't permitted in the east wing. I wager that's where the Batcave's secret entrance is.

Phil LaMarr as Cyborg? I think that's probably one of the few major black heroes he hasn't voiced at some point :cool:.
I could have sworn he did. Was it those Super Friends toy line shorts from a few years back? EDIT: That was Bryton James. LaMarr did voice Cyborg in the 1 short from almost 10 years ago.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I thought this version of Bruce Wayne was pretty hilarious. It's kind of more modern than past portrayals as far as his facade as a millionaire playboy go, but it made for a few amusing bits. Though I kind of doubt this is also how Batman will act, if he ever shows up, seeing more of this Bruce occasionally would be fun - I'd probably want to see more from him than from Robin. And maybe more of this Alfred, too.

Robin's portrayal before was far from my favorite and this episode didn't really much change my opinion, but their take on the "Tween" Titans was pretty fun. It's also cool they went with the more popular, or whatever you want to call it, roster of characters and even more so they had at least Raven with her usual voice actress. The Titans were pretty exaggerated but they did come across as super-powered kids who just wanted to have fun, which I think was kind of the point. It would be interesting seeing them on an actual mission, if there's ever need for another team of heroic kids in this continuity. I wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

Jessica and Karen had their hands full with this baby-sitting job, but did manage to pull through after some pretty amusing situations. I thought the best gags were the Greenhouse of Glass sign and the way they stopped Raven, by making her laugh. I also liked hearing Babs' opinions on Bruce and Dick at the start of the episode, which are kind of completely out of sync with her thoughts about Batman & Robin. Overall, a fun adventure, and a decent enough introduction to the Titans,.

JWR

Honestly, a pretty mediocre episode that follows the same plot points and cliches as most babysitting episodes. The only difference is that it features more of Robin being an annoying little [removed] along with the other titans. Though I will admit that Bruce Wayne being a shallow reality TV star was neat.
** 1/2.

So we finally get to properly meet Bruce Wayne...and he seems to be a shallow, self-absorbed, carefree, rich dude enjoying the limelight and who seems to be practically an absentee dad when it comes to Dick Grayson. Now, obviously, we know Bruce Wayne is Batman, so this is probably all some serious acting, but after the show's take on Superman and Robin I'm kind of dubious about the "real" Bruce is going to be like. Well, that and I'm pretty sure Bruce's parenting, or lack there of, is why Dick is so messed up in this interpretation :(.

You know they're going to exactly that and have Batman's appearance be a "Don't Meet Your Heroes" moment for Barbara.

Mod Notes: Post edited for language. And Double Post merged. Use the Edit button in the future instead of posting multiple times in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It's cool that Vicki Vale is in this show and is apparently Bruce's love interest (Selina is obviously too young). I thought the black guy was Luke Fox, but it was really Harvey Dent? Well, it beats being a DA who will get his face scarred ;).
On second thought, there could be the possibility of a Jekyll/Hyde thing going for Dent that he keeps a secret like in Batman vs. Two-Face where he'd transform into Two-Face.

JWR

Four New Episodes available on the Cartoon Network website. My thoughts:
Definitely my least favorite of the bunch. It's your average "Character is being blackmailed" plot. It's not bad, but it is very average and it kind of reveals how the High School setting limits the kind of stories that the show can tell. Not to mention, I found this version of Penguin to be uninspired. When the premise said "Teenage Gangster", I was hoping that he'd actually be a gangster/criminal. I was disappointed when they just made him some dweeby kid, which had the added effect of making it hard to take him seriously.
** 1/2.

Pretty enjoyable episode. I was very pleased to see Lois being clever and witty as a reporter and I also liked the ending a lot. Though to be fair, Jessica and Zatanna make it almost too easy for anyone to figure out their identities with.
Not much to say about this one. It's light and simple, but it is entertaining enough, I suppose.
*** 1/2.
My favorite of the four episodes. I loved seeing Diana's fish-out-of-water antics, especially the scene with Kara's parents where they all took turns toasting her, and the ending where Diana finally finds a home is rather poignant.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
DC Super Hero Girls "Emperor Penguin"

I don't like this version of Penguin if only because he's such a scuzzbag, he wears a tuxedo t-shirt. Can't believe he thinks that looks good.

The soggy bag of Hal's socks was absolutely nasty.

Not feeling this one. **1/2.

DC Super Hero Girls "Breaking News"

Lois is coming for Clark Kent next!

That was awesome! I love how Lois talks like a fast-talking Gal Friday from the 1940's.

And Hal's so dumb he can't spell him own name.

The newcaster says Killer Moth is a him but the new graphic says it's a her. Which is it?

Fun. ****.

DC Super Hero Girls "Crash Course"

Killer Frost is better at cat puns than Catwoman.

That was good. ***1/2.

DC Super Hero Girls "House Pest"

Are they seriously asking us to believe Diana doesn't know what a toilet is? Because I don't.

Here is the living room. Where is the dying room? Good one.

I liked Kara's reaction to Diana eating the mashed potatoes. Frankly, I think Kara's parents suck.

Jumpa plushie! I want one!

Pretty good. ***.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out a new DC Super Hero Girls episode, today at 4pm ET/PT on Cartoon Network!

dcsuperherogirlsTVartmay212018.jpg
DC Super Hero Girls “#EmperorPenguin”
Episode Debut - April 19th, 2020

When Barbara Gordon attempts to do something nice for a friend, she ends up in the clutches of the Penguin, a high school mob boss who blackmails her into an increasingly desperate situation from which only Batgirl can save her.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The newcaster says Killer Moth is a him but the new graphic says it's a her. Which is it?
Her. It sounds like the reporter is saying "his" but I'm 99% he pronouncing it as a hard "its"

DC Super Hero Girls "Crash Course"
Killer Frost is better at cat puns than Catwoman
Nope, Livewire is. ;)

DC Super Hero Girls "House Pest"
Are they seriously asking us to believe Diana doesn't know what a toilet is? Because I don't.

Here is the living room. Where is the dying room? Good one.

I liked Kara's reaction to Diana eating the mashed potatoes. Frankly, I think Kara's parents suck.

Jumpa plushie! I want one!

Pretty good. ***.
It's not that she doesn't know what it is. She's not used to seeing just one in a bathroom as she points out at school there are many stalls.

Corwin Haught

Her. It sounds like the reporter is saying "his" but I'm 99% he pronouncing it as a hard "its"

The captions say "its" as well.

Mythos references in the new set of episodes:

Penguin's goons has t-shirts that say "GOON" like the 60's Batman series.

Zee has some super friends.

Mod Note: Double posted merged. Please use Multi Quote or Edit instead of posting twice or more in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Ok, so Penguin is reimagined as the shifty kid that'll get you anything. Meh. Figured he was the adult villain who contracted Deathstroke but turns out he's another kid at Metro High.

The super shorts revealed Metro High's football field was named after Steve Lombard and it's cool we learned a lot more in this episode and even got to see Lombard at the end. Makes sense he's a quarterback legend at the school and a local celebrity, at least, enough to have a lucrative shoe line.

The Gallagher reference during Hal's play call out was unexpected but amusing. The 'cartoony' shot of Hal looking all mangled after being tackled made me chuckle.

Only gripe is like Barry, Babs is abruptly close friends with Hal that she wants to buy him super expensive shoes. Idk.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts