"DC Super Hero Girls" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Show!

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 2 22.2%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
DC Super Hero Girls "Super Who?"

Kara is very hard to like. But you know what? So is Clark. He's egotistical, rude, dismissive, petulant, and a show-off. I am not on-board with this portrayal. **.

Frontier

Staff member
So they basically establish Kara's origin in this episode, fairly faithfully to the comics where she grew up on Krypton, babysat Clark as a baby, and then ended up stuck in stasis before she arrived on Earth to explain why Superman is older then her o_O.

I guess whatever science lessons there were on Krypton (assuming it's still a science based society in this continuity) didn't take with Kara :sweat:.

Grey Griffin once again voices Lois Lane (this has got to be, what, the 7th or 8th time she's reprised Lois?), but at least this time she goes for a different voice befitting a younger, more brassier, Lois. She actually came off a little more Perry White to me, but that might've been because she's the school newspaper editor on-top of being a reporter (aspiring for a Daily Planet job). I do like that they kept the pencil in the hair design element from the old DCSHG :).

Lois blushed at a blinking Superman, so might there be a bit of a crush/hero admiration there? They implied Clark was 18-19 so they might want to be careful with that age difference....

Jessica Cruz, activist and member of the school newspaper. It probably wasn't meant this way but it did seem like a carryover from the old DCSHG where Jessica debuted as Lois' camerawoman ;).

Max Mittelman was actually surprisingly good as a younger Superman, even if he didn't get to show off a lot of classic (positive) Superman traits in this episode. Pretty cool to see him jumping from Superman's Pal to the Man of Steel :cool:.

I wonder if there was a plan for him to reprise Jimmy too, or if he will at some point :anime:?

I'm kind of not surprised Superman turned out to be a vain, almost condescending, gloryhound. The guys in this show are either arrogant, dumb, or ineffectual. I mean, it's not like he was malicious or anything, and he's still a hero who saves people in fantastic ways...but he's also kind of a tool about it :sad:.

Now I'm really kind of apprehensive about how they'll depict Batman and Robin if/when they show up :ack:.

Kara's not much better, needing the motivation of proving herself just as good or better then Superman to actually motivate her to do more as a hero. Even in the end she couldn't really let go of her desire to show Clark up :shrug:.

I honestly think this is the most I have ever seen Superman and Supergirl bicker. It honestly doesn't even seem like they care/like each other all that much here. I guess it's one way of depicting a sibling relationship, even one out of the norm for Clark and Kara :(.

Was that green glob supposed to be Chemo? If not, I'm just going to assume it's him :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So they basically establish Kara's origin in this episode, fairly faithfully to the comics where she grew up on Krypton, babysat Clark as a baby, and then ended up stuck in stasis before she arrived on Earth to explain why Superman is older then her o_O.
The potty training retort was pretty hilarious though.

I'm kind of not surprised Superman turned out to be a vain, almost condescending, gloryhound. The guys in this show are either arrogant, dumb, or ineffectual. I mean, it's not like he was malicious or anything, and he's still a hero who saves people in fantastic ways...but he's also kind of a tool about it :sad:.
Yeah, I'm not feeling how they're depicting the male heroes.They don't need to water down them to elevate the Super Hero Girls.

Now I'm really kind of apprehensive about how they'll depict Batman and Robin if/when they show up :ack:.
Yes, this.

Was that green glob supposed to be Chemo? If not, I'm just going to assume it's him :p.
I wondered about that, too.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
1. Grey Griffin once again voices Lois Lane (this has got to be, what, the 7th or 8th time she's reprised Lois?), but at least this time she goes for a different voice befitting a younger, more brassier, Lois. She actually came off a little more Perry White to me, but that might've been because she's the school newspaper editor on-top of being a reporter (aspiring for a Daily Planet job). I do like that they kept the pencil in the hair design element from the old DCSHG :).

2. Lois blushed at a blinking Superman, so might there be a bit of a crush/hero admiration there? They implied Clark was 18-19 so they might want to be careful with that age difference....

3. Max Mittelman was actually surprisingly good as a younger Superman, even if he didn't get to show off a lot of classic (positive) Superman traits in this episode. Pretty cool to see him jumping from Superman's Pal to the Man of Steel :cool:.

4. I wonder if there was a plan for him to reprise Jimmy too, or if he will at some point :anime:?

5. I'm kind of not surprised Superman turned out to be a vain, almost condescending, gloryhound. The guys in this show are either arrogant, dumb, or ineffectual. I mean, it's not like he was malicious or anything, and he's still a hero who saves people in fantastic ways...but he's also kind of a tool about it :sad:.

6. Now I'm really kind of apprehensive about how they'll depict Batman and Robin if/when they show up :ack:.

7. I honestly think this is the most I have ever seen Superman and Supergirl bicker. It honestly doesn't even seem like they care/like each other all that much here. I guess it's one way of depicting a sibling relationship, even one out of the norm for Clark and Kara :(.
1. This is the 7th time she's voiced Lois. I do like that she goes for a more "joisey " type accent for Lois here.

2. I thought the blush was cute. I think it wouldn't be too much of a big deal given the relatively smaller age gap, unlike Spike and Rarity .

3. I initially thought Eric Bauza voiced him until I checked the credits. Coincidentally, this is the second time I've mixed up their voices. The first was Bobo was Elena Of Avalor (who's voiced by Max). I believe he's also the youngest Superman voice actor (28) since other Superman voice actors are usually in their 30s at the youngest.

4. I'm pretty sure he will voice Jimmy again, or maybe they'll get Eric Bauza back.

5. Admittedly, the guys being seen in a less favorable light compared to the girls is a carry over from Lauren Faust's work on My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic and Super Best Friends Forever.

6. I'm pretty sure he'll be somewhat like how he was in the Lego Batman Movie.

7. Lauren did use this somewhat frosty dynamic between them in Super Best Friends Forever, though it stands out more here due to making it more, for lack of something better, grounded.

Frontier

Staff member
You don't have to show how awesome the women on this show are by saying the boys suck. It's weird this show thinks they need to do that.
Especially in contrast to the original DC Super Hero Girls which treated the female and male heroes fairly equally even if the girls were the main focus.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
You know it really shouldn't be at a point where I was expecting Superman to be an a-hole.
But here we are, now I'm 100% sure when and if Batman and Robin show up they're gonna go full-on meme Frank Millar with Batman and completely Golden Age with Robin with the shorts, elf boots, dorky haircut, lame catchphrases and complete subservience to Batman.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It's kind of ironic. I've heard complaints on the original 2015 series being seen as too overly positive to the point of not being that engaging, and now here, it's in the opposite direction, with more emphasis in conflict and negativity being seen as too detrimental. Though I would imagine that, with the show being PG (the highest rating for a kids show) as opposed to TV-Y like MLP (the lowest rating for a kids show), Lauren wants to show more conflict and less sugary sweetness to make her show stand out more.

Wow, I did not expect to talk about that this much.

On an unrelated note, if Perry White appears, I think Fred Tatasciore could voice him like he did in Superman Vs The Elite.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
The problem seems less conflict and more the fact we've had 4 male superheroes show up and each of them is either a jerk, a moron or a complete joke.
Hal is portrayed as a moronic dudebro who breaks with girls over texts, Garth is the school nerd who gets stuffed into lockers, Superman is attention hogging smug jerk, and Flash somehow gets captured by bank robbers offscreen.
The Flash one I will admit was a funny gag I could ignore if it wasn't put into the context of how the other three are portrayed.

I mean the show is about Superheroes so conflict is or should be expected.
The treatment of the guys though not so much.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
A good example of how to do male heroes correctly in a female empowerment show is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Most of that show doesn't hold up years later, but the males in the Scooby gang are impressed by the female badasse,s and generally speaking, not complete heels when it comes to treating women badly (although Xander is admittedly borderline sometimes).

And maybe I shouldn't keep pimping Gilda and Meek on Anime Superhero the way I do, but while the female heroes are always more badass and awesome than the male heroes, the male heroes are almost all respectful and kind to the women. I make the male heroes gallant, even if they aren't as great as the female ones.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
Man.
I just hate Livewire's hair, oh well better her than a character I actually care about, since honestly Livewire as a character just seems very not likable.
And not even in a whole love to hate way most villains are.

Frontier

Staff member
Man.
I just hate Livewire's hair, oh well better her than a character I actually care about, since honestly Livewire as a character just seems very not likable.
And not even in a whole love to hate way most villains are.
It's not that far off from her usual hairstyle, although it's usually more pointy and less like a mohawk :p?

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
It's not that far off from her usual hairstyle, although it's usually more pointy and less like a mohawk :p?
I generally just do not find things like mohawks to be good looking.
Mohawks and sidecuts they just look dumb to me, which is why I can't comprehend why they've become so prominent in recent years.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out a new DC Super Hero Girls episode, today at 4pm ET/PT on Cartoon Network!

dcsuperherogirlsTVartmay212018.jpg
DC Super Hero Girls "#ShockItToMe”
Episode Debut - May 26th, 2019

Leslie Willis, the meanest girl in school, becomes a social media sensation by posting mean-spirited videos on her MetropoVids channel, causing Wonder Woman to question the moral integrity of the people who live in the World of Man.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Frontier

Staff member
Considering last episode was kind of inconsistent on the effectiveness of it's positive message, I felt this episode was a little more genuine in showing the negative effect of society's ridicule culture and how important it is to stand up to bullies :).

Livewire is the only Superman villain in the cast, so it was kind of surprising to see her be the center of a more Wonder Woman centric episode, but then again Diana here is more in-line with traditional Supes then either Kara or the show's version of Superman are, so maybe that made her the most fitting ;)?

I think the show did a good job of capturing what a teenage Leslie Willis would be like. She'd dress like a punk, walk around like she owns the place, and be basically a video blogger instead of a professional shock jock. The show also captured just how much of a mean-spirited villain Livewire is :elle:.

Mallory Low isn't Lori Petty but I thought she did a good job with distinguishing the snide and smarmy Leslie with Livewire's larger-then-life and villainous personality. I also liked how in her Livewire persona she acted a lot more like she did in Superman: The Animated Series, from the nicknames, puns, and ferociousness :evil:.

Poor Garth. Torn between dissecting a fish friend and getting Starroed :ack:.

Cheetah totally deserved it though :p.

Kinda surprise to see Karen laughing at Garth's expense. I mean, besides Garth being her friend, I imagine that kind of thing has happened at her expense too :confused:.

Oh hey, a new vocal track for Livewire! That was unexpected :anime:.

It's all fun and games until someone gets seriously hurt :eek:.

The Superhero Girls didn't so much defeat Livewire as survive her, leaving the populace turning on her to be what finally drove her away. Although what I would have given to see the girls give her the proper beatdown she deserves :mad:.

I don't know why but I thought that old hermit living outside the city was Jonathan Kent. Or maybe that's where they sent Lena :rolleyes2:?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Hmm, I wonder if the "Glen Morgan Square" was a nod to someone in the staff or Glen Glenmorgan in the recent Superman comics.

Also noticed in Diana's bedroom she had the 1st prize for a science fair framed. I wonder if that's related to the Weird Science digital comic or just to sell the point she's the over achiever and wins a lot.

Kinda surprise to see Karen laughing at Garth's expense. I mean, besides Garth being her friend, I imagine that kind of thing has happened at her expense too :confused:.
Even the girls got caught up in the trend.

The Superhero Girls didn't so much defeat Livewire as survive her, leaving the populace turning on her to be what finally drove her away. Although what I would have given to see the girls give her the proper beatdown she deserves :mad:.
I thought at first it was going to rain but I guess it was worth a chuckle that she was indirectly defeated by rescued cats.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts