"DC Super Hero Girls" Animated Webisodes Talkback, Part I (Spoilers)

Discuss and Rate this Animated Series!

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonnieB21:-)

DC Super Hero Girls Is Currently Everything

Why does every doll line have to only be webisodes? When will some network/channel have the courage to put Monster High/Ever After High/Star Darlings/DC Super Hero Girls on TV? This could have been on one of the big 3 if they hadn't given up totally on original programming. NBC still shows cartoons, but they're Sprout reruns.

My brain needs logic and reason and demands to know who the heroines are going to fight against if all the villains already go to their school. Plus Harley, Poison Ivy, Cheetah, Catwoman, etc aren't starting out as villains when are they going to go bad?

Greg Cipes seems to basically own the role of Beast Boy now. Who else could possibly do it better? Yeah, yeah, Young Justice version. But GC's is definitely the most fun.

This is super cute- between this and Vixen WB Animation has raised their girl game.

DC Comics looks at Marvel asks "What's good?" and then drops the mic.

zoombie

Well I love the "Roomies", I love Tara's New York accent voice, and being the knowledgeable person of these two voice actresses, and knowing that they are good friends, great seeing Grey and Tara work off each other, I wonder if they recorded that episode together, doubtful it can't hurt.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Webisode 4, "Crazy Quiltin'" is now online. It's not yet available on the YouTube channel though.

It's time for the first project of the year! Bust out your pencils and help Wonder Woman design a Super Suit that'll bring out her true colors in the halls of Super Hero High School.

Nothing really happened - I was hoping we'd see the finalized Wonder Woman outfit. But kind of nice seeing Crazy Quilt as one of the teachers. I think that was Tom Kenny doing his voice.

TFormersMarvel

"Crazy Quiltin" was alright, but pretty light on content compared to, say, "All About Super Hero High". Good use of an obscure Bats villain, but I was also disappointed with the short not ending with the redesigned WW suit.

As a side note, the intro now has some added sound effects (probably to make it more "finished"; I remember when Ben 10: Omniverse did the same thing during its last season or so).

Dudley

Staff member
Light on content is an understatement. These shorts feel empty, short, and end abruptly.

I saw someone on another forum complain how the shorts are pretty much too "girly". I remember reading in this Kidscreen article, that the cartoons will focus less on violence, as girls would prefer solving problems through cooperation and outsmarting bad guys as opposed to relying on their firsts. Though that's a good lesson to learn, I know there are plenty of girls and women out there who would love to see female superheroes kick butt like the guys do.
I am aware that most fights won is by outsmarting the villains, but the point still stands.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Light on content is an understatement. These shorts feel empty, short, and end abruptly.

I saw someone on another forum complain how the shorts are pretty much too "girly". I remember reading in this Kidscreen article, that the cartoons will focus less on violence, as girls would prefer solving problems through cooperation and outsmarting bad guys as opposed to relying on their firsts. Though that's a good lesson to learn, I know there are plenty of girls and women out there who would love to see female superheroes kick butt like the guys do.
Over in the news thread, a link to a recent interview was posted where those who were at NYCC basically said the shorts are more comedy focused while the DTV movie and graphic novel are action focused.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I'm actually OK with the shorts being more comedy focused and there being considerably less butt-kicking. My issue with the shorts so far is that nothing's really happened in any of them. I can excuse the first 2 because they were expository and the writers were still setting things up, but "Crazy Quiltin'" just felt unfinished. And can we please start seeing some other characters besides just Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn get the spotlight now? If the shorts are going to focus on comedy, fine, let's kick it up a notch. Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse managed to do great things in the comedy webisode department with just 3 minutes or so, there's no reason DC Super Hero Girls can't do the same; it just seems like the producers are keeping a tight rein on the show and the characters in order to keep it girl-friendly. To that I say, girls like zany madcap humor too. Stop playing it so safe.

Dudley

Staff member
I'm actually OK with the shorts being more comedy focused and there being considerably less butt-kicking. My issue with the shorts so far is that nothing's really happened in any of them. I can excuse the first 2 because they were expository and the writers were still setting things up, but "Crazy Quiltin'" just felt unfinished. And can we please start seeing some other characters besides just Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn get the spotlight now? If the shorts are going to focus on comedy, fine, let's kick it up a notch. Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse managed to do great things in the comedy webisode department with just 3 minutes or so, there's no reason DC Super Hero Girls can't do the same; it just seems like the producers are keeping a tight rein on the show and the characters in order to keep it girl-friendly. To that I say, girls like zany madcap humor too. Stop playing it so safe.

Yeah, I watch the Barbie: LITD, Monster High, and Ever After High webisodes, and they're much more entertaining than these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
That is correct! Tom Kenny is definitely the voice of Crazy Quilt. I still wish I knew who voices Bumblebee and Katanna.
While it's difficult to tell from Katana's one line in the episode, and I wish she had gotten to say more in her first official speaking appearance I think she might be voiced by Kimberly Brooks. Might be completely wrong on that though :sweat:.

So Crazy Quilt is a teacher at this school? While a cool cameo, it lends credence to my theory that the entire faculty of Super Hero High is made up of DC Supervillains :eek:.

I guess the bigger reason why Diana needs a new, proper, Superhero costume is because pants are more practical then a skirt :p?

I'm not sure why the girls had a problem with Diana's second try at an outfit, I thought it looked pretty good ;).

I do hope we start seeing more girls, and more of the cast interacting, in future webisodes :).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
11/23: It's now on the DCSHG YouTube today
So Crazy Quilt is a teacher at this school? While a cool cameo, it lends credence to my theory that the entire faculty of Super Hero High is made up of DC Supervillains :eek:.
Red Tornado and that person from webisode #1 who is likely Lucius Fox are on the faculty.

I guess the bigger reason why Diana needs a new, proper, Superhero costume is because pants are more practical then a skirt :p?
And short sleeves. It's pretty neat that of the main cast, WW is the only one so far to not start out with the suit worn in the intro sequence.

11/5: Episode 5 "Power Outage" is live on the DCSHG website.
It’s time for the girls to test their super power skills! Find out who passes with flying colors and who doesn’t at Super Hero High School. The answer might surprise you.
Should be on the DCSHG YouTube on Friday.

Troy Troodon

Alright, looks like we got Maurice LaMarche as Red Tornado. Also, someone kindly suggested that, Teals Dunn may be voicing Bumblebee all along.

Also, how did Cheetah obtain her own inhibiter for WW's power belt?

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Decent episode, a little more comedy than in the previous ones. But I was expecting Wonder Woman to at least realize who made her fail the test. Her friendship with Bumblebee seems to be growing though.

Some of the scenes of Bumblebee going through the obstacle race were featured in that music video released a while ago.

It was pretty cool seeing Red Tornado, at least not all the teachers in this school are villains from the comics.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
These shorts are too, well...short. They don't actually end conclusively so much as they just, stop. I also feel they need to establish why Cheetah has it in for Wonder Woman. Yes, she's a WW villain from the comics, but anyone coming into things for the first time without that firsthand knowledge is liable to think Cheetah's just screwing with Wondy for no reason. Also I'm surprised no one caught on to what Cheetah was doing and that she received no comeuppance for it; kinda makes the producers' original claim of 'no real villains/bad girls/mean girls' seem kind of shaky, but maybe things come to a head later on.

On the up side, the presence of Maurice LaMarche in anything is always good.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I also feel they need to establish why Cheetah has it in for Wonder Woman. Yes, she's a WW villain from the comics, but anyone coming into things for the first time without that firsthand knowledge is liable to think Cheetah's just screwing with Wondy for no reason.

Wonder Woman stepped on Cheetah's tail back in episode 2. Not a great reason for their rivalry to start, but it's at least something.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Wonder Woman stepped on Cheetah's tail back in episode 2. Not a great reason for their rivalry to start, but it's at least something.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. :sweat:

I hope Supergirl shows up soon and we get to see more of Batgirl. Bumblebee and Katana are OK, but I admit I'm not really interested in them. At least we got a break from Harley in this one. A character like Harley is OK in doses, but I can easily see her becoming annoying if overdone.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Nice to see Wonder Woman already has a new suit. If she has a new outfit every other short... boy, more work for the designers, boarders, and animators. lol.

This one was a bit more conclusive than "Roomies" and "Crazy Quiltin'" that sorta just ended. But it was longer, too, at 2 minutes 12 seconds whereas the previous two I mentioned were 1:49 and 1:35 respectively.

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder how long before Wonder Woman or anyone realizes Cheetah is deliberately sabotaging her? That's definitely un-Superhero like behavior, if appropriate when you considering she's traditionally Diana's Archenemy :mad:.

I'm curious how Cheetah would've handled the obstacle course had she not gotten out of it. It seems primarily for flyers, but I guess her agility probably would've made up for that :).

I wish Carol had gotten a line during the episode and had more to do, maybe being the second in the course before Wonder Woman, but it was nice to see her nonetheless ;).

Didn't look like Bumblebee used her shrinking powers, though there were times during the course where I could've sworn she looked smaller than she usually does o_O.

Looks like we have Barbara still serving as the school's tech support. I wonder if in the next episode we'll finally see Batgirl and Supergirl or finally get a speaking appearance for Ivy?

Red Tornado appearing was pretty great, and it's nice to see a faculty member who's actually a hero (alongside Lucius Fox) :D.

Bestmand902

I have the feeling they're short because of budget issues, but that's just what I'm thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts