"DC Showcase (Animated Shorts)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Welcome to the second installment of this discussion!

Update: DC Showcase is back in 2019!

Warner Bros. Animation and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, in partnership with DC, are currently in production on five new DC Showcase animated shorts for release in 2019-2020. Inspired by characters and stories from DC’s robust portfolio, the all-new series of shorts will be included on upcoming DC Universe Movies releases, with exception of an innovative Batman: Death in the Family long-form animated short, which will anchor a compilation set for distribution in late 2020.

Initially launched in 2010, DC Showcase was originally comprised of four animated shorts produced by Bruce Timm and directed by Joaquim Dos Santos: The Spectre (released on 2/23/2010), Jonah Hex (7/27/2010), Green Arrow (9/28/2010) and Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam (11/9/2010). An additional short, Catwoman (10/18/2011), was attached the following year to the release of Batman: Year One, and was directed by Lauren Montgomery and executive produced by Bruce Timm. Screenwriters on the initial quintet were Steve Niles (The Spectre), Joe Lansdale (Jonah Hex), Greg Weisman (Green Arrow), Michael Jelenic (Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam) and Paul Dini (Catwoman).

Please note conversation in this thread started in 2010. Please scroll to the latest posts for the most recent discussion.

Writer, Director, Character Designer, Animation Studio List
The Spectre
*Writers: Steve Niles
*Directors: Joaquim Dos Santos
*Character Designer(s): Phil Bourassa, Dusty Abell, Jerome Moore, Joaquim Dos Santos
*Animation Studio(s): Moi Animation
*Release: February 23, 2010 - Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths

Jonah Hex
*Writers: Joe R. Lansdale
*Character Designer(s): Dusty Abell, Phil Bourassa, Jerome Moore, Joaquim Dos Santos
*Animation Studio(s): JM Animation
*Release: July 27, 2010 - Batman: Under the Red Hood

Green Arrow
*Writers: Greg Weisman
*Character Designer(s): Phil Bourassa, Jerome Moore, Joaquim Dos Santos
*Release: September 28, 2010 - Superman/Batman: Apocalypse

Superman/Shazam: Return of Black Adam
*Writers: Michael Jelenic
*Character Designer(s): Phil Bourassa, Jerome Moore, Joaquim Dos Santos
*Release: November 9, 2010

Catwoman
*Writers: Paul Dini
*Directors: Lauren Montgomery
*Character Designer(s): Junpei Takayama
*Release: October 18, 2011 - Batman: Year One

Sgt. Rock
*Writer: Louise Simonson & Walter Simonson and Tim Sheridan
*Director: Bruce Timm
*Character Designer: Kevin Nowlan, Choi Ji Hyeon, Choi Hee Jun, Moon Sang Ung
*Animation Studio(s): Studio Mir
*Release: July 20/August 6/August 13, 2019 - Batman: Hush

Death
*Writer: J.M. DeMatteis
*Director: Sam Liu
*Character Designer: Choi Ji Hyeon, Choi Hee Jun, and Moon Sang Ung
*Animation Studio(s): Studio Mir
*Release: October 5/October 22, 2019 - Wonder Woman: Bloodlines

Phantom Stranger
*Writer: Ernie Altbacker
*Director: Bruce Timm
*Character Designer: Shane Glines, Minyung Kim, and Bruce Timm
*Animation Studio(s): Digital emation (uncredited)
*Release: February 25/March 17, 2020 - Superman: Red Son

Adam Strange
*Writer: J.M. DeMatteis and Butch Lukic (story)
*Director: Butch Lukic
*Character Designer: In Jung, Minyung Kim, and Andy Kuhn
*Animation Studios: Digital emation
*Release: May 5/May 19, 2020 - Justice League Dark: Apokolips War

Batman: Death in the Family
*Writer: Brandon Vietti
*Director: Brandon Vietti
*Character Designer: Bryce Collins, Choi Ji Hyeon, Choi Heejun, Moon Sangung
*Animation Studios: Studio Mir
*Release: October 13, 2020

Kamandi: The Last Boy on Earth!
*Writer: Paul Giacoppo
*Director: Matt Peters
*Character Designer: Andy Chiang, Steven Choi, and Zak Plucinski
*Animation Studios: NE4U, Inc.
*Release: April 27/May 11, 2021

The Losers
*Writer: Tim Sheridan
*Director: Milo Neuman
*Character Designer: Steven Choi, Dan Panosian, and Zak Plucinski
*Animation Studios: NE4U, Inc.
*Release: June 22, 2021

Blue Beetle
*Writer: Jeremy Adams (Story) and Jennifer Keene (Screenplay)
*Director: Milo Neuman
*Character Designer: Steven Choi, Zak Plucinski, Chris Samnee
*Animation Studios: Digital eMation, Inc.
*Release: July 27/August 10, 2021

Constantine: The House of Mystery
*Writer: Ernie Altbacker
*Director: Matt Peters
*Character Designer: Steven Choi, Zak Plucinski, and Otto Schmidt
*Animation Studios: Digital eMation, Inc.
*Release: May 4, 2022

By Animation Studio
Moi Animation (South Korea)
*Spectre
*Green Arrow
*Superman/Shazam
*Catwoman

JM Animation (South Korea)
*Jonah Hex

Studio MIR (South Korea)
*Sgt. Rock
*Death
*Batman: Death in the Family

Digital eMation, Inc. (South Korea)
*Phantom Stranger
*Adam Strange
*Blue Beetle

NE4U (South Korea)
*Kamandi: The Last Boy on Earth!
*The Losers

Previous installments:
-"DC Showcase (Animated Shorts)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Related Thread:
-The DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 6 (Spoilers)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreyfus

Unfortunately it looks like Mignola isn't involved in any animation work right now. I got this response back from his site.

No Mike is not involved in any animation work right now...he actually doesn't care for his style animated....

Too bad. I still hope to see his Gotham By Gaslight adapted into an animated short.

ABrown

After watching the first four shorts, I'm not sure exactly what to think. I mean they are enjoyable, but they seem a little rushed. I think they'd be better off as full length 65-70 minute DC Universe films, rather than 12-24 minute shorts. Especially since these shorts seem to feature mainly lesser known characters that could use the extra film time to establish themselves.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Thanks, do you know who she served with when she was a Titan and was it just like a one issue thing?
In 2008, she served in what looks like 4 issues, Teen Titans Volume 3 #50-54 alongside Robin/Tim Drake, Miss Martian, Ravager/Rose Wilson, Kid Devil, and Wonder Girl/Cassandra Sandsmark

Apache Chief

That's one big Indian!
Just watched the new one and rewatched the other three. They're all great. All four. I want more more more. The length is great for the stories they'll telling.

For what's it worth, I'd love to see an Adam Strange one. The Atom would make a cool one too.

Goodfellow

So... what was so extended about GA, S, and JH? I did not notice a single new scene in any of those on the S/Sh Blu-ray. Even the running time did not signify anything. I thought they were supposed to have like 5 minutes of additional footage?

suss2it

So... what was so extended about GA, S, and JH? I did not notice a single new scene in any of those on the S/Sh Blu-ray. Even the running time did not signify anything. I thought they were supposed to have like 5 minutes of additional footage?
Haven't got this yet so I'm not sure, but concerning the Green Arrow Short:

As green arrow jumps out toward the plane with the princess, she skips on her butt when they land. The bad guys try to shoot her but green arrow shoots an arrow at each bad guy in the shoulder. In the cut version, they merely escape out the window without green arrow having to shoot back at them.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, I saw the scene. Green Arrow shoots a pair of assassins in the shoulders with regular arrows, one of the princess' bodyguards gets killed different on the stairs, and the last scene with Count Vertigo has more.

On The Spectre, the 'revenge' scenes with the two men were longer, I think. More animated monsters in that one scene.

On Jonah Hex, Red Doc's ride was longer and there's an Easter Egg in there that wasn't before, I believe. Hex and Madame's ride to the mine was longer.

supergirl's pal

Give us a SBFF Animated Series
I have enjoyed these so far, and I hope we see more next year. I wonder how soon the sales figures for the Superman/Shazam DVD will determine whether or not there will be a Showcase short included with All Star Superman?

I hope they will make Showcase shorts for Sgt. Rock, Power Girl, and Supergirl teaming up with Batgirl or Damien.

suss2it

I have enjoyed these so far, and I hope we see more next year. I wonder how soon the sales figures for the Superman/Shazam DVD will determine whether or not there will be a Showcase short included with All Star Superman?
I hope that the sales are good enough to warrant another DC Showcase release, but I don't want attached to the DC Universe movies because it gives them another reason to add less features and the "extended" cuts are hardly that.

I hope they will make Showcase shorts for Sgt. Rock, Power Girl, and Supergirl teaming up with Batgirl or Damien.
Has Supergirl teamed up with Damien in the comics before? I think I'd rather see Stephanie Batgirl & Damien and team up just for the amount of humour potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

supergirl's pal

Has Supergirl teamed up with Damien in the comics before?

They teamed up together in Superman/Batman #77 last month. That issue would make a great Showcase short.

I think I'd rather see Stephanie Batgirl and team up just for the amount of humour potential.

If they made a Showcase short based off of Batgirl #14 from a few months ago, then that would rock. :cool:

supergirl's pal

Meant to say Stephanie & Damien, but yeah #14 would be the perfect thing to turn into a Showcase.

Damien has shown up several times in Steph's Batgirl comic, and both of them will team up again with Supergirl this January. It would be interesting to see how an animated Damien would be portrayed.

suss2it

Damien has shown up several times in Steph's Batgirl comic
Yup which is why I'd like to see them together in a showcase.
and both of them will team up again with Supergirl this January. It would be interesting to see how an animated Damien would be portrayed.
I haven't seen the episode myself but Damien was in the latest The Brave and The Bold episode.

jondoe297

18064L.jpg

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SuperHeroTooniverse/news/?a=25518 ;) :D

suss2it

Thanks for that poster, I'll need it when I eventually buy this and add it to my iTunes.

jondoe297

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/news.php/news.php?action=fullnews&id=908

Does that mean no more shorts? What were the expectations? It effectively sold half of what a regular DCU movie does in its initial week. Hope we can get some news on this.

I wonder if there would have been a difference had most of the material NOT been made previously available.

I have a bad feeling about this... Please continue making the DC Showcase shorts, am REALLY looking forward to the Batman Gotham by Gaslight short among others rumored. (Catwoman, Booster Gold/Blue Beetle and Lobo.} :crying: :(

suss2it

I have a bad feeling about this... Please continue making the DC Showcase shorts, am REALLY looking forward to the Batman Gotham by Gaslight short among others rumored. (Catwoman, Booster Gold/Blue Beetle and Lobo.} :crying: :(
I'm also worried. But at the same time Warner Bros. can't expect to make the same amount of money off this and the main features. This was probably made for less as well, so here's hoping they're gonna make enough money to make more.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts