"DC Showcase (Animated Shorts)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Otaku-sempai

Sep 10, 2010
Lackawanna, NY
According to FilmRatings.com, DC Showcase: Batman Death In The Family is rated R for "strong bloody violence, and some drug material'.

Also interesting to note, they list two entries for the title, one of them labeled as an "interactive version"...
Is there any way to tell whether one of those listings is for the anthology collection and not the individual short? Or would that be listed just by the title Batman: [A] Death in the Family?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Is there any way to tell whether one of those listings is for the anthology collection and not the individual short? Or would that be listed just by the title Batman: [A] Death in the Family?
Well, the Superman/Shazam set was PG-13 and I believe that applied to all 4 shorts. Like a blanket rating. I assume it's the same case here. Well, Phantom Stranger may be the lone PG-13 among these new shorts. Can't really ask Gary Miereanu for clarification yet since the official press release has not come out yet, so he'll still be mum on any details.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Yeah, it seems like a re-creation of sorts of the famous poll asking whether Jason should live or die. I wonder what the results would say now. :p

It's cool they might be trying out an interactive special like this. I think Netflix has made a few for some of their shows (off the top of my head, I know Stretch Armstrong and Carmen Sandiego each had one, though I only watched the former).

Otaku-sempai

Sep 10, 2010
Lackawanna, NY
Well, the Superman/Shazam set was PG-13 and I believe that applied to all 4 shorts. Like a blanket rating. I assume it's the same case here. Well, Phantom Stranger may be the lone PG-13 among these new shorts. Can't really ask Gary Miereanu for clarification yet since the official press release has not come out yet, so he'll still be mum on any details.
If the previous collection is any indication, the title of the second one should be on the order of: DC Showcase Collection: Batman - Death in the Family.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frontier

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
If Death in the Family is in DC Showcase Vol. 2, I'm scared to think that Man of Tomorrow won't bring any shorts. Could it be that we won't have a showcase in 2021? I need them!
The recent PR release for Man of Tomorrow indicated it won't have a Showcase short. EDIT: Gary confirmed it won't.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
IGN has a first look at Batman: Death in the Family.

Wow, not only is it a prequel/follow up to Under the Red Hood but it's also the first DC Animated Choose Your Own Adventure film :D.

I guess this does accomplish the job of adapting the story while connecting it to Under the Red Hood while also doing plenty of it's own stuff :).

It looks like there are three main scenarios:

- Under the Red Hood plays out the same.

- Jason becomes Hush.

- Jason becomes a murdering vigilante Red Robin.

It's great to see Greenwood and DiMaggio back as Batman and Joker, and Vincent Martella sounds as young as Robin Jason as he did back in Under the Red Hood. I'm surprised Jensen Ackles isn't in it though, does that mean Red Hood won't talk :confused:?

I always thought it was noticeable that Commissioner Gordon wasn't in Under the Red Hood, so it's fun to see him finally appear. I think Gary Cole will be a solid Jim (and a neat choice for Two-Face) :cool:.

I don't think Wonder Woman fans are going to be happy with Cheetah's use in this movie :sweat:.

Zehra Fazal, DC's woman of a thousand voices, voicing Talia? She probably would have ended up playing Talia in Young Justice at the rate they were using her. Will they adapt the Jason relationship :p?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Genius way to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Under The Red Hood in a way that hat tips the original decide the fate of Jason from the comics.

I always thought it was noticeable that Commissioner Gordon wasn't in Under the Red Hood, so it's fun to see him finally appear. I think Gary Cole will be a solid Jim (and a neat choice for Two-Face) :cool:.
He had a small appearance in UTRH, at the Gotham Bridge scene when Joker is about to light Black Mask, Ms. Li, and his cronies on fire.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I'm surprised Jensen Ackles isn't in it though, does that mean Red Hood won't talk :confused:?
Idk, did the trailer have new footage from the present time of UTRH? I don't think so. It seems like in the Hush and Red Robin scenarios, because he lives, Jason goes awol and reappears in Gotham sooner than in the original timeline. So there's not a need for Ackles to voice new lines because there are none for adult Jason perhaps.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Idk, did the trailer have new footage from the present time of UTRH? I don't think so. It seems like in the Hush and Red Robin scenarios, because he lives, Jason goes awol and reappears in Gotham sooner than in the original timeline. So there's not a need for Ackles to voice new lines because there are none for adult Jason perhaps.
I also think the straight Under the Red Hood portion is just narrated by Batman. His mention of Red Hood in the trailer sounds like narration so they probably will just do a cliff notes version of the original movie.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The winner for this Media Brackets competition is Phineas And Ferb: Star Wars, which got 4 votes. Quack Pack got 1 vote. Thanks to everyone for participating. The article is next week.

So, this is fitting. Also, why does this meme only go until September?

Here are the most notable South Asian voices.
The 2015 Fantastic Four film was released 5 years ago today.
Kitschensyngk wrote on Harley's profile.
Who do I contact over at Popgeeks about server problems? I've having difficulties accessing the server to update my website.