"DC Nation Flip Book" Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment - DC Nation Flip Book

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Check out this Free Comic Book Day title! Based on the hit Cartoon Network animated block DC Nation from Warner Bros. Animation!

DC Nation Flip Book

Written by: Art Baltazar, Franco, Greg Weisman, Kevin Hopps
Art by: Dario Brizuela, Christopher Jones

This super sampler is the place to check out Green Lantern Adventures and Young Justice, two sensational new comic series from the DC Kids line based on Warner Bros. Animation's popular Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Young Justice, featured on the upcoming DC Nation programming block on Cartoon Network in 2012. The sampler includes two exciting, all-new stories that readers of all ages will enjoy. Plus, get a sneak-peek at the brand-new Superman Family Adventures monthly series from the Tiny Titans creative team!

Comments?

Riddler

Free Comic Book Day WOOO!!! :D

I really enjoyed the GL story in this Super Sampler. The villain seemed similar to Mxyzptlk. The other previews were cool too.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
I didn't like the Green Lantern story because:

It could be interpreted that Green Lantern killed the villain in the story. That's not what I want to see in comic for kids.

Wasn't the Young Justice story just some pages from the upcoming issue #16? The story did feature Robin and Artemis, so they likely just used pages from the upcoming issue, so they wouldn't have had to write an original story which would've probably taken alot of time they didn't have.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Wasn't the Young Justice story just some pages from the upcoming issue #16? The story did feature Robin and Artemis, so they likely just used pages from the upcoming issue, so they wouldn't have had to write an original story which would've probably taken alot of time they didn't have.
Correct. It's five pages total and features a little of Green Arrow & Artemis and Batman & Robin trying to stop some museum thefts in their respective cities. They didn't reveal the identities of the villains (all dressed in black and in masks) but I'd guess one team is led by Shimmer and the other by Mammoth. Not to sure but one of the timestamps seems erroneous because the narrative made it sound like the thefts were taking place at the same time. The first one is September 6th and the second is September 11th. Guess we won't know until May 30th when Issue #16 releases.

EDIT: And those who aren't fans of the bullet point loglines, it's back to the previous format in the advert page for #16.

Correct. It's five pages total and features a little of Green Arrow & Artemis and Batman & Robin trying to stop some museum thefts in their respective cities. They didn't reveal the identities of the villains (all dressed in black and in masks) but I'd guess one team is led by Shimmer and the other by Mammoth. Not to sure but one of the timestamps seems erroneous because the narrative made it sound like the thefts were taking place at the same time. The first one is September 6th and the second is September 11th. Guess we won't know until May 30th when Issue #16 releases.

Okay. Last year's YJ story was a 10-page original, but an early preview is good too, especially since issue 16 is coming late in the month for some reason. The plus side is that the gap between #16 & 17 will be shorter as a result.

There might not have been a timestamp error, they may have chosen 5 non-consecutive pages for the preview and it may have caused the various robberies to seem like they were simultaneous when there were really gaps between them.

My comic book store didn't get the issue in, so was Shimmer in Star City or Gotham?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Okay. Last year's YJ story was a 10-page original, but an early preview is good too, especially since issue 16 is coming late in the month for some reason. The plus side is that the gap between #16 & 17 will be shorter as a result.
The late month release happened before in July 2011 with Issue #6. Probably an annual logistics hiccup. As for the format of this flip book yeah, that would be have been one more chance for Mr. Weisman and Mr. Hopps to tell another story. But I guess everyone's schedules weren't aligned and the staff were just too busy to work out a story in time.

Mr. Jones was probably already penciling, inking, and doing covers and Weisman and Hopps were probably knee deep in production for Invasion. And DC probably told them at the last minute, "hey there's a DC Nation comic, can you pitch a story?" As a compromise, they gave DC a slice of #16 instead of turning down DC - which is probably something you don't want to do. Not that I'm likening DC to a mafia. Just a theory.

There might not have been a timestamp error, they may have chosen 5 non-consecutive pages for the preview and it may have caused the various robberies to seem like they were simultaneous when there were really gaps between them.
Yeah, possibly. The next known event for the Team isn't until September 14th (the teaser for "Terrors").

My comic book store didn't get the issue in, so was Shimmer in Star City or Gotham?
The person who I think is Shimmer is part of the Star City theft. And looks like the thieves are stealing a snake motif trinket... probably for Kobra.

This is amusing. People who watched "Drop-Zone" and "Terrors" thought that Mammoth and Shimmer were incarcerated at Belle Reve since episode 4, while anyone who reads the tie-in comic will find out that wasn't the case. Bane was never incarcerated even after the Santa Prisca incident, so it's possible that due to the location that the Kobra cultists were let go as well.

So Mammoth and Shimmer were put in Belle Reve very recently before "Terrors" since they were there by September 16th or 17th (SB and MM arrived there at bed time, so we didn't see the other inmates until the 17th).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The Gotham City timestamp was mislabeled as PDT for its timezone. One narration box used the phrase 'Young Justice Team.'

Here's the two villains I suspect are Shimmer and Mammoth

This is amusing. People who watched "Drop-Zone" and "Terrors" thought that Mammoth and Shimmer were incarcerated at Belle Reve since episode 4, while anyone who reads the tie-in comic will find out that wasn't the case. Bane was never incarcerated even after the Santa Prisca incident, so it's possible that due to the location that the Kobra cultists were let go as well.

So Mammoth and Shimmer were put in Belle Reve very recently before "Terrors" since they were there by September 16th or 17th (SB and MM arrived there at bed time, so we didn't see the other inmates until the 17th).
Indeed. I guess they all vanished in the jungle while the Team just stood there at the end. :p

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
To be honest, I didn't like these. The horrible art ruined Green Lantern and YJ for me.

As for Superman Family....eh, it just isn;t my thing.

Here's the two villains I suspect are Shimmer and Mammoth

Indeed. I guess they all vanished in the jungle while the Team just stood there at the end.

That's obviously Shimmer since you can see part of the tattoo on the side of her face through her mask. I just hope the comic renders it consistently, since I noticed that in the show it tends to vary and even appears to not be there at certain points. And Shimmer's appearance means that the big guy is Mammoth by default.

As for Santa Prisca, it's known for being somewhat corrupt (in the comics at learst), and the Team may not have had any authority to apprehend anyone there. So it's possible that even if the cultists were taken in, they may have been let go immediately after.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Courtesy of Yojimbo, a closer look at the DC Nation Flip Book Free Comic Book Day release!

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I didn't like the Green Lantern story because:

It could be interpreted that Green Lantern killed the villain in the story. That's not what I want to see in comic for kids.

To be fair, this is based off a TV-PG rated TV series where one of the villains
kills the girlfriend/wife of a main character, even if it is off-screen.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
To be fair, this is based off a TV-PG rated TV series where one of the villains
kills the girlfriend/wife of a main character, even if it is off-screen.

The operative phrase there being, "one of the villains." Bad guy. We expect him to do evil, awful, nasty things. The hero doing them is more problematic.

That being said, I got the sense from the story that Hal didn't kill the guy as much as disrupt him. I think it was the feeling that the guy was so much more powerful than a single GL that Hal couldn't kill that guy if he tried. But that's a grown-up reading this comic and the ambiguity isn't something I care much for now that it's pointed out.

Overall, I wasn't too impressed with this comic. The GL story was OK but felt somewhat inconsequential and borderline non-sensical. The YJ story was so slight that it was completely unsatisfying. The Superman Family story was cute, but just a kid-friendly recap of Superman. Well done for what it was, but also extremely well-worn material.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts