DC Comics Animation - Physical/Digital Media News & Discussion Thread, Part 20 (Spoilers)

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced the upcoming The Batman Blu-ray collection has been delayed to March 1, 2022. Full details are here, or check out the tweet below:

BB Shockwave

Quick question to those in the know - is it worth to buy the Justice League (Unlimited) BluRays? I read that they have a wrong aspect ratio, and was wondering, with Batman and Superman TAS, Batman Beyond, LOSH and The Batman getting BR releases, will they re-release JLU as well? Any news on that?

Palin Dromos

The Abyss Stares Back
Justice League Season 2, and JLU on Bluray are both 1.78:1 aspect ratio, which is correct.
I don't have JL Season 1, but I believe it is in 1.33:1 aspect ratio, which is the full image as animated. There's a bit of a grey area with season 1 as it was animated 1.33:1, but envisioned as 1.78:1, so your definition of "correct" aspect ratio could vary.
Hope that helps.
I don't believe there are plans to reissue the blurays any time soon.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Quick question to those in the know - is it worth to buy the Justice League (Unlimited) BluRays? I read that they have a wrong aspect ratio, and was wondering, with Batman and Superman TAS, Batman Beyond, LOSH and The Batman getting BR releases, will they re-release JLU as well? Any news on that?
Yes, the JLU Blu-ray is in 1.78:1 widescreen. For the blu-ray, Warner Archive fixed some things that the DVD had: the audio glitch in the big battle in"Divided We Fall" and while the Justice League Unlimited: The Complete First Season DVD release had "Hunter's Moon" erroneously between "Question Authority" and "Flashpoint," it is in the right order on the Blu-ray.

Each time, a JL/JLU set is asked about or if it's asked when it's coming to Blu-ray, PR representatives like Gary Miereanu will point to the JL and JLU Blu-rays already out now to purchase and/or repeats there will be no full set box release of the series like BTAS/TNBA and Batman Beyond got, for example. It doesn't look likely JLU will be released with JL in a Blu-ray series limited edition box set. Your best bet is to buy the JLU Blu-ray now while it is still easy to find for sale and at a reasonable price.

I don't have JL Season 1, but I believe it is in 1.33:1 aspect ratio, which is the full image as animated. There's a bit of a grey area with season 1 as it was animated 1.33:1, but envisioned as 1.78:1, so your definition of "correct" aspect ratio could vary.
Yes, Justice League season one was animated in 4x3. Warner chose to release it on Blu-ray in the 1.33:1 aspect ratio. Despite that, I still think it's worth it to buy the Blu-ray. It looks much better than the DVD set overall, the awful transfer for "Paradise Lost" on the DVD set was replaced with a 1080p VC-1 encoded transfer on Blu-ray, and the Dolby Digital 5.1 audio doesn't hurt either.

Dallas Kinard

I'm really hoping we see Static Shock released on BD this year. It would be nice to get The Zeta Project in HD at some point too.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
A post on social media got me thinking, considering the Super-Pets movie coming soon -- I wonder if WBHE or WA will releases a series set of Krypto as a tie-in promotional release.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced it will release Krypto the Superdog: The Complete Series for the first time on DVD this August 2, 2022. According to press details, no extras will be included. The series is currently available, also in HD, on digital platforms.

Update: Press details added.

Frontier

Staff member
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced it will release Krypto the Superdog: The Complete Series for the first time on DVD this August 2, 2022. According to press details, no extras will be included. The series is currently available, also in HD, on digital platforms.
Just in time for League of Super Pets :).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Getting it. No question.

Kirben

I don't like the sound of a DVD release of Krypto the Superdog: The Complete Series at all, as that means even less chance of a true widescreen release. There is no good reason the series couldn't be released on Blu-ray, considering it is available in HD, even if a limited release.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Update: Press details added.
I knew they wouldn't be able to resist the tie in product promotion. I think that's all of the classic animated series from the 90s/early 00s, starting with BTAS, are now collected in at least one format. I guess that's progress. I echo what Kirben says but when it comes down to it, beggars can't be choosers. I can only speculate the budgets have been slashed behind the scenes and that's why The Batman got a Blu-ray set and Krypto isn't.

Last edited:

-batmat-

I'm surprised people still buy DVDs apparently? I mean if you're still on phisical media, chances are you're into blu-ray or 4K. Most people have ditched physical media and moved on to streaming, so I'm not sure what kind of people still buys DVDs!

Kirben

I'm surprised people still buy DVDs apparently? I mean if you're still on phisical media, chances are you're into blu-ray or 4K. Most people have ditched physical media and moved on to streaming, so I'm not sure what kind of people still buys DVDs!
The problem is when you don't have streaming access at all, the streaming access for content from Cartoon Network / Warner Bros isn't as good in other countries.
We don't have a dedicated streaming service for Cartoon Network / Warner Bros in Australia, only limited selection of new and old content on Binge, which re-uses the masters from Cartoon Network (with those large watermarks)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
On one hand, it because Warner and Universal teamed up to keep the DVD format going and on the other, it's about access internationally, about always having a physical copy vs being at the mercy of a streamer who in theory could collapse and go out of business and your digital library goes kaput and other arguments like bit rates still being more consistent than a streamer will ever be. Then there's accounting. I'm sure those at WBHE looked at the cost of upgrading the show to the Blu-ray format with other production costs vs. profits they anticipate compared to just printing them on DVD.

the greenman

Well, honestly, I am kinda surprised it's an actual legit release and not on Warner Archives. As @Yojimbo stated, this is a synchronized tie-in much like The Batman animated series. Nothing's wrong with that.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer

I buy DVDs all the time. Mostly of TV shows but sometimes older movies too.

I don't like the sound of a DVD release of Krypto the Superdog: The Complete Series at all, as that means even less chance of a true widescreen release. There is no good reason the series couldn't be released on Blu-ray, considering it is available in HD, even if a limited release.
I would be shocked if this release is in fullscreen.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts