DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 9 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
This is the kind of thing I would've loved Timm to have produced as 12/13 episode limited series on DC UNIVERSE. Just to get away from the movie format in what is mostly a story with a clear episodic structure.

I'm glad they're giving it the two-parter treatment though. Is this the last major Batman story they need to adapt or is there a few more?

Frontier

Staff member
This is the kind of thing I would've loved Timm to have produced as 12/13 episode limited series on DC UNIVERSE. Just to get away from the movie format in what is mostly a story with a clear episodic structure.

I'm glad they're giving it the two-parter treatment though. Is this the last major Batman story they need to adapt or is there a few more?
Knightfall is probably the biggest "classic" Batman story that hasn't received an animated adaption yet, aside from nods to it in any story involving Bane.

Although in a few years I can probably see people asking for a "Batman: White Knight" adaption :p.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Knightfall is probably the biggest "classic" Batman story that hasn't received an animated adaption yet, aside from nods to it in any story involving Bane.

Although in a few years I can probably see people asking for a "Batman: White Knight" adaption :p.

'Knightfall' would be perfect for the in-continuity line (In fact, I would have preferred they adapted that as opposed to HUSH).

I've heard alot about ''Batman: White Knight''. I really need to sit down and read it.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
If true, this is pretty cool news. I presume it'll take a while until we'll know for sure about the "Long Halloween" adaptation (possibly in Summer). I wonder if it will also be split and released in 2020/2021, like with past movies, or change things up a little and have both parts next year.

I like how they're doing more two-part stories, regardless of in-continuity or stand-alone.

Frontier

Staff member
Interesting. Not sure how ROTF is getting all these leaks. But in any case, Long Halloween it was something that they thought about as far back as 2010. But even then Timm admitted he thought it would be better as a show than a movie, lol.
I feel like it's not the first time they've tried their hand at a movie they previously said they didn't think they could pull off...

-batmat-

This is great news if true! The Long Halloween is one of the best Batman stories out there and I'd love to see it get the animated treatment.

Other classic stories I'd love to see adapted are: "Batman Year 100", "Superman Red Son" and I remember liking "Justice League: The Nail" a lot when I first read it, but it's been a while!

I'm still sad that we never got Season 2 of Gods and Monsters. The movie is in my Top 3 of the DCU animated movies line. Hopefully the project will be brought back in the future.

And last but not least, more original projects! Sure it would be sweet to see our favorite comics brought to life, but if I think about my 2 favorite DC animated movies ever, they both original stories: MOTP and ROTJ. Surprise us!

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder if they'll try and imitate Tim Sale's art for Long Halloween, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just have Suzuki do the character designs again.

EmaHalJordan

If they are going to release 2 parts of Batman, I hope that 2020 will be a year of 5 releases.
Let the rest shine, especially now that they have the support of DC Universe streaming.
I would love to see things like JLA/JSA! Green Lantern Emerald Twilight or Sinestro Corps War or Blackest Night! Titans Who is Donna Troy? Hawkman and Atom team up movie!

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I doubt we'll get more than 4 movies per year (not counting extra stuff like LEGO or other titles outside the DC Universe banner). It kind of makes sense - you know, 4 movies for Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall releases. It's likely the "Long Halloween" adaptation, if it's real, will be released in two consecutive years, like with "The Dark Knight Returns" or "Death of Superman"/"Reign of the Supermen".

I think "Red Son" was rumored a couple of times over the last few years (though not at this extent, with supposedly leaked cast lists and stuff). Maybe it will be produced eventually. I kind of wonder if they would focus on only Batman stories for the stand-alone or Elseworlds movies (with the possible exception of Justice League Vs. Fatal Five). And keep using the in-continuity movies to spotlight other heroes, along with the League as secondary characters.

EmaHalJordan

Aquaman has just reached 940 million and is on track to become 2 weeks in the most watched DC movie in history. And death of Superman (with a lot of justice league) was the biggest animated hit since Flashpoint!
DC already with this has to learn that the DC Universe is not only Batman and Superman and the annual dose should come down and give us the opportunity to see Atom (Ray) Shazam Blue Beetle (Ted) & Booster Gold JSA Hawkman Dr.Fate Spectre Firestorm Plasticman Green Arrow New Gods, and more Aquaman Wonder Woman Green Lantern Titans and Justice League!

Frontier

Staff member
I doubt we'll get more than 4 movies per year (not counting extra stuff like LEGO or other titles outside the DC Universe banner). It kind of makes sense - you know, 4 movies for Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall releases. It's likely the "Long Halloween" adaptation, if it's real, will be released in two consecutive years, like with "The Dark Knight Returns" or "Death of Superman"/"Reign of the Supermen".

I think "Red Son" was rumored a couple of times over the last few years (though not at this extent, with supposedly leaked cast lists and stuff). Maybe it will be produced eventually. I kind of wonder if they would focus on only Batman stories for the stand-alone or Elseworlds movies (with the possible exception of Justice League Vs. Fatal Five). And keep using the in-continuity movies to spotlight other heroes, along with the League as secondary characters.
I am kind of curious what Lego movies we'll see this year that they just haven't announced yet.

Last year we got movies focused on Flash and Aquaman, so maybe something Superman and Wonder Woman focused? Maybe even a Green Lantern or Shazam movie :)?

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Diedrich Bader just re-tweeted it... basically confirming it's validity.

Who is this guy anyway? WB are going to be seriously ticked off at him and his ''source'' for leaking all these DC movies. He is complaining that The Hollywood Reporter beat him to the punch with the casting of Conroy in Fatal Five. Um no... THR revealed a story given to them by WB.

Frankly, it spoils the fun of San Diego Comic-Con when they announce the upcoming movies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Interesting, was just talking how no cast lists were ever mentioned before when this movie was rumored. Yeah, it seems kind of weird how their site gets all these exclusive reports months before they are supposed to be revealed officially.

Announcing the cast for Justice League vs Fatal Five made sense given we knew about the movie since last Summer. It's kind of early to claim all these movies will be released next year, let alone announce any of the voice actors that might be involved.

We'll see what happens, but if this is true as well, the cast looks pretty great to me. There are a couple of names in there I don't think I ever seen (or heard) anywhere else before, but for the most part it seems solid enough.

Troy Troodon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts