DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
True... but IF the second release is a continuation from Throne of Atlantis and the third is potentially Batman '66, then where does Bruce Timm's DTV for next year fit into all this. Hopefully Comic-Con sheds some light.
I think the Batman 66' isn't part of the main line of DC movies, probably like Batman Unlimited and the Lego movies.

MDawg

Nerfariously planning

Bat-Fan Beyond

Okay, this may not be of any importance right now, but I was just looking at my Blu-ray collection of the recent releases DC Animated Features lined up on my shelf, and I was admiring how they each have a character on the spine...

Batman on Son of Batman
Robin on Batman vs. Robin
Harley Quinn on Batman: Assault on Arkham

Cyborg on Justice League: War
Aquaman on Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
Wonder Woman (Bekka) on Justice League: Gods & Monsters

And I was just thinking about who would be featured on the spine of the upcoming releases --- possibly?:

Batwoman on Batman: Bad Blood
Superman or Nightwing on Justice League vs. The Titans
The Joker on Batman: The Killing Joke

I think we definitely need to have Joker on the spine of The Killing Joke, if only to complement Harley on the spine of AoA.

Missed opportunity: The Flash should have been on the spine of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox

Last edited:

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
So, since James Tucker's directing Vixen, I wonder if he's part of the Batman 66' movie (my gut says a definite yes, but with Vixen and the other main DC movies says otherwise).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
10/8: James Tucker confirmed only weeks ago, Bad Blood was finished and the rest of the 2016 slate is also in post production and the crew is already in preproduction for the 2017 slate.

10/15: Interesting bit from Tucker:
Even our adaptations are fairly loose adaptations, but you're hamstrung if the source material isn't great. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good for a movie. Not every comic book that people love or that I love breaks down into a good movie experience. So with this, we just took a little bit from here and a little bit from there and made our own thing. It's a bit more fun, more liberating. I always say, as long as we keep the characters true to what they are in the comic, it's just another comic book story. There's nothing being violated by coming up with a new story. Every movie builds on what came before, so maybe one day we'll have enough for our own 'Crisis' -- I don't know. We try to layer these things so that there can be a big crossover movie down the line.
I figured JL vs. Titans might be the big crossover movie but perhaps he's alluding to the showdown with Luthor's team or truly something inspired by a 'Crisis' comic event.

the greenman

I think he's alluding to a 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' kinda deal. Even if the film and live action series don't go there, the animated dtvs can. The animation crews are doing a great job of replicating older animation art styles.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
I figure Justice League vs. The Titans will probably be the first real crossover between the Batman movies and the Justice League movies, since Dick's likely going to be in it and maybe Damian if they want a Robin, but I think it's a fair bit milder compared to what Tucker and co. have in mind when they namedrop a "Crisis."

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
10/23: From Ed's transcript of the NYCC roundtables
-Jay Oliva keeps pushing for a Batman: Game of Death movie, he would adapt Arkham Asylum: A Serious Place on a Serious Earth.
-A year passed since Oliva worked on Bad Blood. He's working on his next 2 movies.
-Oliva musing about hypothetically using Tim Drake was intriguing.
-James Tucker says they are figuring out the 2018 slate and working on 2017 slate

11/2: Tucker confirmed there are plans for solo movies about characters other than Batman. :)

Frontier

Staff member
10/23: From Ed's transcript of the NYCC roundtables
-Jay Oliva keeps pushing for a Batman: Game of Death movie, he would adapt Arkham Asylum: A Serious Place on a Serious Earth.
-A year passed since Oliva worked on Bad Blood. He's working on his next 2 movies.
-Oliva musing about hypothetically using Tim Drake was intriguing.
-James Tucker says they are figuring out the 2018 slate and working on 2017 slate

11/2: Tucker confirmed there are plans for solo movies about characters other than Batman. :)
A solo movie about a character other then Batman would be really refreshing, especially after the barrage of Batman moveis we've been getting as of late. Really nice to know about these plans :D.

The likeliest candidate for a solo movie would probably be Superman, or Wonder Woman to tie into her DCEU movie, maybe even a Flash movie after the success of his live-action show :cool:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
A solo movie about a character other then Batman would be really refreshing, especially after the barrage of Batman moveis we've been getting as of late. Really nice to know about these plans :D.

The likeliest candidate for a solo movie would probably be Superman, or Wonder Woman to tie into her DCEU movie, maybe even a Flash movie after the success of his live-action show :cool:.
Totally. Agreed.

Yes, Superman was alluded to before by Tucker at Wondercon 2015 in an interview. There is also a lot of love for Red Son among the DTV crew.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Hmm...so the solo might fit into the Elseworlds movie spot?
Maybe. I'm up for either, in the ongoing canon or one of the non-canon movies. Gods and Monsters hopefully proved to the bean counters at Warner that Elseworlds movies can work.

the greenman

I'm all for a Superman: Red Son film. Outside of that, I wonder if they can do Arrow: "Longbow Hunters". That was really the only GA comic I read because of the acclaim. I can definitely see them doing a Flash solo, but wouldn't mind them doing "Crisis on Infinite Earths".

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Was watching a recording of the NYCC roundtable with James Tucker and he did throw some hints for the 2017 slate (begging worked!) at the 4:45 to 5:-54 mark. Something to the effect of 'a character will appear who is a fan favorite who had good exposure recently but didn't quite work out will resurface. The two in continuity movies for 2017 will be fairly original. There are one to two more adaptations they want to do but have to be reimagined for this ongoing continuity and timeline.'

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder who that could mean? Especially when "fan-favorite" can be subjective...maybe Firestorm, considering he's been very prominent on The Flash? Or The Atom with his presence on Arrow?

Vixen's already had her web-series so I don't think she'd count.

Zorkel567

Just throwing this out here, not sure if they'd use him for animation, but what about Constantine? He is a fan favorite, and he got exposure through his TV Series, which was cancelled and so didn't work out.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I think Green Lantern had a lot of exposure and neither his live-action movie or animated series really worked out, but that wasn't exactly recently.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

StorytellerMJ5

Just throwing this out here, not sure if they'd use him for animation, but what about Constantine? He is a fan favorite, and he got exposure through his TV Series, which was cancelled and so didn't work out.

Not a bad guess and since this would be for a DTV, they'd probably be able to do more with Constantine than if it was a TV show on a kids network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts