DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakAbone

It would be good if WB Animation makes dc animated movies for the kids as well so the kids do not miss out. At the moment they are only making dc u movies for the adults only, What does everybody think of this?

Yeah I liked Jla Adventures for that reason. It was tonally different than a lot of other stuff they've been putting out.

And while I don't mind the more violent stuff, I do wish they had some form of balance to it.

Seems like content with one family-friendly thing at a time (believe last year they did the LEGO Batman movie, which was just the cutscenes from the game but w/e!)

Otaku-sempai

Kingdom Come

AQVXZ11 posted:
...stuff like Kingdom Come would be epic. They should split them into a couple movies each so nothing is cut out. What do you guys think?
I like the idea of Kingdom Come adapted as a 4-part original video animation (OVA) of arount 40 minutes per chapter. Each segment could be budgeted the same as one of the full-length DC Universe Animated Original Movies, allowing for higher production values.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Seems like content with one family-friendly thing at a time (believe last year they did the LEGO Batman movie, which was just the cutscenes from the game but w/e!)

It was very close to the game's cut scenes, but there are a few differences here and there, and I think it was actually reanimated since the game's cut scenes appeared to be rendered on the fly by the consoles.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Among the NYCC 2014 Q&A's and Roundtables, this one from From the Batcave had some eyebrow raising to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzgEzz5azaI

1) Tucker hints the 'next movie will have characters in it you haven't seen in the DVDs'. (4:10-18)

If he's talking about Timm's Gods & Monsters or the next New 52/Animated one. We don't know. I'd say the latter.

2) Tucker answers the idea of DC Nation hasn't been discarded, might appear again but not on network TV. (4:22-5:12)

3) Tucker had to be cryptic but there are still plans for DC Showcase. Didn't sounds like it was anything greenlit or they're in early development. (4:22-5:12)

U

uiop90

What other DC Characters/Teams Besides...

Batman/Superman/Justice League you like to see?
Me personally:
Either a sequel to Wonder Woman or a new one
A solo Flash story
The Freedom Fighters
The Doom Patrol
The Metal Men
The Teen Titans
Legion of Superheroes

Now I know they will never be made but it be nice to see something
different.

Frontier

Staff member
As far as event stories that could be adapted into Justice League movies while giving a central focus to a single League member, I think these could work:

Flash: Gorilla Warfare.

Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps., and Lights Out.

Superman: Superman: Unchained (Though this is still ongoing), and H'el on Earth (Which actually had the Justice League involved, I believe).

Wonder Woman: The current Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang run, or maybe even an adaption of a Superman/Wonder Woman arc?

Cyborg: Well, there's no real Cyborg story that could probably incorporate the League, so I'm just going to reiterate an original Cyborg and Metal Men movie would be pretty awesome :D.

Aquaman: Death of a King.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Among the NYCC 2014 Q&A's and Roundtables, this one from From the Batcave had some eyebrow raising to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzgEzz5azaI

1) Tucker hints the 'next movie will have characters in it you haven't seen in the DVDs'. (4:10-18)

If he's talking about Timm's Gods & Monsters or the next New 52/Animated one. We don't know. I'd say the latter.

2) Tucker answers the idea of DC Nation hasn't been discarded, might appear again but not on network TV. (4:22-5:12)

3) Tucker had to be cryptic but there are still plans for DC Showcase. Didn't sounds like it was anything greenlit or they're in early development. (4:22-5:12)

Haha, when Tucker says, "There's about five good Justice League stories, to be honest."

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Romano does some teasing during NYCC
I'll tease this for you, I don't know how much I'm allowed to say -- not the next film, but the film after that, there are two actors in it that I have pursued for ten years. And they just kept saying no, because they weren't available, they didn't like the script or they didn't like the role or whatever," Romano said. "Finally, I got them. And they are so good! They are so wonderful! It was a joy to work with them. But I am like a bulldog, I don't let go. I'm going to keep going after them. Until they say stop, I don't want to do this, then I'll stop. But if they're like, 'I just can't make it work this time,' I'll keep going after them."
At this point, I think she's alluding to Gods & Monsters.
NYCC: Giving Voice to Aquaman in "Justice League: Throne of Atlantis" - Comic Book Resources

Frontier

Staff member
Be interesting to find out who they are, and then speculate for which characters she might have always been trying to get them for before either Gods and Monster or whatever movie they're in ;).

Lord Sidious

Been watching EP Daily, and James Tucker was interviewed and says that there will be a new original animated movies in the same continuity of War and Throne of Atlantis that are not based on the New 52 comics.

BananaRama

Anyone still holding out hope that they eventually do a Judas Contract movie? Maybe if that Teen Titans tv series ever gets off the ground.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Phil Bourassa posted some concept art of Deathstroke that has nothing to do with Young Justice or Son of Batman. It's unclear what project it's for. Could be nothing to do with the movie line but still pretty neat design, imo.
Instagram
Instagram

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Phil Bourassa posted some concept art of Deathstroke that has nothing to do with Young Justice or Son of Batman. It's unclear what project it's for. Could be nothing to do with the movie line but still pretty neat design, imo.
Instagram
Instagram

That is actually his best Deathstroke design... hopefully it will be utilized moving forward. Perhaps in the animated project that all the Teen Titans Go! cast are ticked off about.

Frontier

Staff member
Those are some pretty awesome Deathstroke designs :cool:

Though I'm partial to the second versions Yojimbo just posted, the mask on the first one is pretty cool if different than I'd expect for a Deathstroke mask :).

Though Bourassa claims they're old concepts, so presumably he could have went with something different for the final product (YJ, Flashpoint, Son of Batman). Though it would definitely be nice to see them in use eventually ;).

Now that I think about it, of the popular DC characters that Bourassa has worked on/designed, he's never done a Catwoman design has he?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Though I'm partial to the second versions Yojimbo just posted, the mask on the first one is pretty cool if different than I'd expect for a Deathstroke mask :).
11/20: Yeah, the mask is pretty sweet.

Now that I think about it, of the popular DC characters that Bourassa has worked on/designed, he's never done a Catwoman design has he?
I believe the closest thing to a Catwoman he's done was on Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths - when the chart of Made Men are shown by Luthor. Catwoman's alternate universe version is the first in the third row of Superwoman's lieutenants (but even then Jerome Moore might have done that design under Bourassa's lead). Unless he's done concept art for a project or a DC Nation bio that's never seen the light of day.

12/31: James did a year-end sales article on War, Son of Batman, and Assault on Arkham.
Year-End Sales Numbers For 2014 "DC Universe Animated Original Movie" Releases

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
Since we all knew Batman VS Robin was the follow up after Throne Of Atlantis. I was curious what would come after that. The third Justice League movie of course! But most importantly, a movie with BATMAN in it!

Look, I honestly like Batman as much as everyone else. OK maybe not since I think Batman Begins is the best Batman movie and I have nothing great to say other than "it's ok/mediocre" when it comes to Scott Snyder's Batman. But seriously, MORE Batman? I thought we would get something without Batman after Batman VS Robin. Counting these two DCU movies (and The Dark Knight Returns individually), there are 24 total. Batman appears in 17 of them. And counting the upcoming movies, he'll have appeared in 7 in a row. Can the Batman movies be made "separate" so we can get an "extra" DCU movie that isn't BATMAN, or doesn't have BATMAN in it, or has nothing to do with BATMAN? We get 3 of these movies a year, can we now get 4 each year and make it mandatory that at least one of them not be BATMAN, or not have BATMAN in it?

Mod Note: Posts #99 to 103 were moved from Gods & Monsters to this thread where it was on topic and more appropriate to continue anyway.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Since we all knew Batman VS Robin was the follow up after Throne Of Atlantis. I was curious what would come after that. The third Justice League movie of course! But most importantly, a movie with BATMAN in it!

Look, I honestly like Batman as much as everyone else. OK maybe not since I think Batman Begins is the best Batman movie and I have nothing great to say other than "it's ok/mediocre" when it comes to Scott Snyder's Batman. But seriously, MORE Batman? I thought we would get something without Batman after Batman VS Robin. Counting these two DCU movies (and The Dark Knight Returns individually), there are 24 total. Batman appears in 17 of them. And counting the upcoming movies, he'll have appeared in 7 in a row. Can the Batman movies be made "separate" so we can get an "extra" DCU movie that isn't BATMAN, or doesn't have BATMAN in it, or has nothing to do with BATMAN? We get 3 of these movies a year, can we now get 4 each year and make it mandatory that at least one of them not be BATMAN, or not have BATMAN in it?

Money, Money, Money.

Why risk putting out another solo Superman film when the last two couldn't even crack $3 million in home video sales. The best you can hope for at this point is a Justice League film with Batman in a supporting role, ala Justice League: The Throne of Atlantis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts