DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 10 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otaku-sempai

Am I mis-remembering or did they say there would be more Showcase shorts coming out then the ones previously announced?
Actually, I think that Man of Tomorrow will be accompanied by the "Adam Strange" short. "A Death in the Family" is supposed to be a double-length short and will probably anchor the next collection just as the "Superman/Shazam" short anchored the previous one. I do think that the DC Showcase shorts are supposed to continue, at least for the immediate future.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I presume Superman: Man of Tomorrow will be out in July-August, and then Batman: Death in the Family coupled with the other DC Showcases, in October I guess (the same time-frame to how Wonder Woman: Bloodlines was released last year).

And yeah, I am pretty sure they will still find a way to announce what's coming next year even if Comic-Con won't happen in the Summer either. Though I think they had separate announcements for the DC Showcase shorts, last time those were announced before the movie line-up was revealed.

Otaku-sempai

I presume Superman: Man of Tomorrow will be out in July-August, and then Batman: Death in the Family coupled with the other DC Showcases, in October I guess (the same time-frame to how Wonder Woman: Bloodlines was released last year).

And yeah, I am pretty sure they will still find a way to announce what's coming next year even if Comic-Con won't happen in the Summer either. Though I think they had separate announcements for the DC Showcase shorts, last time those were announced before the movie line-up was revealed.
If nothing else, Warners can simply issue a press release through Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.

Cartoonfan13

Do you think Glen Murakami is aware of the responses he gets when he does a Post About Teen Titans? Seriously just Try to get a Continuation done already.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
James Tucker revealed there was a planned Batman vs Robin end credit teaser that cut to Dollmaker's abandoned factory then into a back room where there's a writhing figure strapped to a gurney, the camera pans over to see the Joker's face pinned to a wall, setting up Death of the Family. However, DC nixed it.
Beyond the fact that I don't like faceless Joker, it would be pretty hard to do Death of the Family when the family is only three people and just coming off a movie where Batman and Robin already fought...so I think DC made the right call here :sweat:.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Agreed... although it's a shame that we never saw the O'Mara Batman go up against The Joker in any siginificant way. The character's appearace in HUSH was fun, but basically an extended cameo.

This tweet by Tucker also highlights that they wanted to do more Teen Titans movies but the line was obviously cut short before they got a chance. It's weird that 'Teen Titans 3' was listed on that TCM website. All the other movies listed came (or are coming) to fruition, so I guess they just scrapped it late in the game.

Frontier

Staff member
Agreed... although it's a shame that we never saw the O'Mara Batman go up against The Joker in any siginificant way. The character's appearace in HUSH was fun, but basically an extended cameo.
Jason Spisak was also a surprisingly solid Joker (although I think they probably would have gone for someone different if this movie had gone through).

I'm bummed they never did much with Peyton Lists' Batgirl as well.
This tweet by Tucker also highlights that they wanted to do more Teen Titans movies but the line was obviously cut short before they got a chance. It's weird that 'Teen Titans 3' was listed on that TCM website. All the other movies listed came (or are coming) to fruition, so I guess they just scrapped it late in the game.
I figured they at least had a plan for a movie involving the Titans fighting Blackfire, but that doesn't seem to be happening :(.

It's a shame we might not see this version of the team again or see them do more with Donna Troy Wonder Girl, Superboy, or the Wallace West Kid Flash...

Cartoonfan13

Beyond the fact that I don't like faceless Joker, it would be pretty hard to do Death of the Family when the family is only three people and just coming off a movie where Batman and Robin already fought...so I think DC made the right call here :sweat:.
They did, but man who I'd have liked to see it at some point further down the line.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Tucker implies the third TT movie would have included the original TT team.
Yeah, this probably was something I really wanted to see, the rest of the original team in the modern day, what happened to them between the time-skip, And the implications of their existence for other heroes (Kid Flash with Flash, Speedy with Green Arrow). I guess now we'll never know :(.
There was end teaser storyboarded for Judas Contract cut for time that showed Blackfire scheming to get Kori.

Altbacker's first attempt at the cut teaser was Nightwing doing a "marriage test" obstacle course on Tamaran fighting Starfire's father's guards as the Titans cheered him on.
So we all had the right idea that the third film was going to be Blackfire and Tamaran focused :).

I kind of want to see those storyboards, if only to see Blackfire's design :p.
Not sure if it's movie-wise, but Gary Meireanu teases a big Monday announcement (54~55 mark).
I'm guessing they'll announce whatever they were planning to announce at normal Wonder Con :sweat:.

Last edited:

Cartoonfan13

Yeah, this probably was something I really wanted to see, the rest of the original team on the modern day, what happened to them between the time-skip, And the implications of their existence for other heroes (Kid Flash on Flash, Speedy with Green Arrow). I guess now we'll never know :(.

Nope unless Any Drafts or pitches leak online.

So we all had the right idea that the third film was going to be Blackfire and Tamaran focused :).

I kind of want to see those storyboards, if only to see Blackfire's design :p.

I'm guessing they'll announce whatever they were planning to announce at normal Wonder Con :sweat:.

Same here, any theories?

Otaku-sempai

I wouldn't be against it, but they seem a little too "all-ages" for the Animated Feature line, but aside from the Lego movies I'm not sure if they have a dedicated all ages animated movie division.
It seems to me that if the line can expand into R-rated features, it can also go the other way into more PG territory, though Superman Smashes the Klan could be given a little more impact as a screenplay to make it PG-13. There's nothing wrong with diverging into some more family-friendly fare once in a while. I've made several such suggestions before.

EDIT: The other possibility is producing Superman Smashes the Klan as an animated movie outside of the DC Universe line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts