DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 10 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I suppose it'll be a while before we find out. Superman: Man of Tomorrow is being touted as a wholly original, standalone film, so we'll just have to be patient for any concrete plans beyond that.

I think Bruce Timm will certainly hang around to do elseworlds and key comic adaptations (like the rumored Batman: The Long Halloween), but who knows.

Maybe Butch Lukic will take over from Man of Tomorrow onwards?

Frontier

Staff member
James Tucker confirmed Justice League Dark: Apokolips War is the last movie he produced in the DC Universe movie line.

If you paid attention to the credits in this weekend's DC Super Hero Girls, Tucker is listed as a post production producer along with Ben Jones, who he worked with in the past like on Batman: The Brave and The Bold. Tucker confirmed he's working on the last couple season one episodes. If he's also doing season two, unknown for now.

As for who will be the new supervising producer, starting with Superman: Man of Tomorrow... any bets on Bruce Timm will return to the position full time, someone already involved on production like Jim Krieg will be, or someone new has taken over?
Wow. So this really is an end of an era for the DC Animated Films :eek:.

I guess Tucker's tenure has always had mixed reception from fans, but personally I think we got some really good and fun films under his leadership and I liked the different direction he took the Animated Feature line. If he moves back to working on DC cartoons in general, I'll be happy :).

It'll be interesting to see what direction the line takes now and who will oversee it. I don't think Timm would come back because I think he enjoys the freedom he has now and that he can just come back and do the films he wants to do. I feel like they've been really upgrading Jim Krieg's role over time, especially since he's been overseeing all of the films for a while now. I wouldn't mind ;).

Gary Mieraeanu seems to shut down all the fan theories that this is the last film in the animated film continuity, and Tucker corroborates that it's false information, so it'll be really interesting to see where they go from here...

Spider-Man

I hope Tucker doesn't go too far. He brings a really great touch to DC's animated products and his love for the material is clear. Maybe he'll be doing a DC Universe animated series down the road. I wonder who it be going forward. I imagine Jim Krieg stands a good chance at stepping in since he's been producing some of the recent movies too. While it is a shame to see Tucker stepping away to do other projects keeping the line refreshed every once and awhile it important so I am excited to see what is coming next.

#TeamMike

I'm all for more standalone movies, I'm kind of tired at everything these days being part of some larger continuity, most of my favorite DC animated films are standalone.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
They never stopped producing standalones though.

I'd say it's more that any potentially Interesting stories that were either original or adapted from a comic had potential to be amazing, but with having to be in continuity, there was more discussion on how if what was established in these movies fits into continuity. For example, the idea of doing a 2 part movie adaptation of The Death Of Superman is one that would definitely be met with open arms. However, with it being in continuity with the DC Animated Movie Universe, there would be more discussion on it adhering to the rules and structure of the universe that were set up. To flip the discussion, imagine if Batman Vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was in continuity with the DCAMU or any of the TMNT series airing on Nickelodeon. Then it would be about trying to piece everything together.

Frontier

Staff member
I'd say it's more that any potentially Interesting stories that were either original or adapted from a comic had potential to be amazing, but with having to be in continuity, there was more discussion on how if what was established in these movies fits into continuity. For example, the idea of doing a 2 part movie adaptation of The Death Of Superman is one that would definitely be met with open arms. However, with it being in continuity with the DC Animated Movie Universe, there would be more discussion on it adhering to the rules and structure of the universe that were set up. To flip the discussion, imagine if Batman Vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was in continuity with the DCAMU or any of the TMNT series airing on Nickelodeon. Then it would be about trying to piece everything together.
To be honest, in the long-run, I don't think a standalone adaption of those stories would have been all that different from how they were adapted in terms of fitting with the in-continuity films.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
James Tucker confirmed Justice League Dark: Apokolips War is the last movie he produced in the DC Universe movie line.

If you paid attention to the credits in this weekend's DC Super Hero Girls, Tucker is listed as a post production producer along with Ben Jones, who he worked with in the past like on Batman: The Brave and The Bold. Tucker confirmed he's working on the last couple season one episodes. If he's also doing season two, unknown for now.

As for who will be the new supervising producer, starting with Superman: Man of Tomorrow... any bets on Bruce Timm will return to the position full time, someone already involved on production like Jim Krieg will be, or someone new has taken over?
Nice to see Tucker back to linear TV and that BizarroTV project.

As for the new guy, my money's on either Timm or Sam Liu.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Nice to see Tucker back to linear TV and that BizarroTV project.

As for the new guy, my money's on either Timm or Sam Liu.
The BizarroTV thing. Forgot about that, thanks for mentioning that one.

I thought about Sam Liu but in social media he's seem to indicated his work load this year is very low now and he can take a break at last.

Bruce Timm could be. But on one hand, it seems like he wouldn't resume the overarching supervisory position because it's something he's done already and would be bored by it so one standalone movie plus shorts seem to have more leeway and creative freedom for him. On the other, being the overarching supervisory position again probably is a bigger paycheck.

Jim Krieg could be. But on one hand, he's "just" taken over the spot vacated by Alan Burnett. So if he were to take over for Tucker, they might need another hire to be a Co-Producer but they currently have staff like Sam Liu and Amy McKenna who are producers now. On another hand, while I no clue if it matters - both Timm and Tucker has experience in running a lot more shows, shorts, and movies, storyboarding, character design, have directed, etc while Krieg has run GL:TAS and been producing for the last few years and for him to move into the head honcho spot... he might now qualify at the moment in terms of experience.

Butch Lukic could be. He's been producing/directing a lot of DTVs in this line and the unnamed DTV line lately plus at least one Showcase short I think.

Shot in the dark guesses: Glen Murakami? Robert Goodman?

Could be rad but unlikely: Lauren Montgomery and/or Joaquim Dos Santos (still working on the Spiderverse movies?)

Frontier

Staff member

I thought about Sam Liu but in social media he's seem to indicated his work load this year is very low now and he can take a break at last.

Bruce Timm could be. But on one hand, it seems like he wouldn't resume the overarching supervisory position because it's something he's done already and would be bored by it so one standalone movie plus shorts seem to have more leeway and creative freedom for him. On the other, being the overarching supervisory position again probably is a bigger paycheck.

Jim Krieg could be. But on one hand, he's "just" taken over the spot vacated by Alan Burnett. So if he were to take over for Tucker, they might need another hire to be a Co-Producer but they currently have staff like Sam Liu and Amy McKenna who are producers now. On another hand, while I no clue if it matters - both Timm and Tucker has experience in running a lot more shows, shorts, and movies, storyboarding, character design, have directed, etc while Krieg has run GL:TAS and been producing for the last few years and for him to move into the head honcho spot... he might now qualify at the moment in terms of experience.

Butch Lukic could be. He's been producing/directing a lot of DTVs in this line and the unnamed DTV line lately plus at least one Showcase short I think.

Could be rad but unlikely: Lauren Montgomery and/or Joaquim Dos Santos (still working on the Spiderverse movies?)
When Tucker took over there was a bit of a transition period where he became involved in a few movies before fully taking over, I recall. I feel like we might see something like that happen since I don't see them just plopping someone completely new unless they have had some kind of experience with DC DTV's.

The line has expanded and changed so much from when Timm was in charge that I'm just not sure what a second go-around with him in that position would be like. Maybe a bigger paycheck, but again, at this point I think he's more into just being independent and working on his own terms.

I guess we won't know for sure about that and the future of the line until we get the crew information for Man of Tomorrow, so May-ish.

Nexonius

Amy McKenna left WBA if I'm not mistaken.

Amy McKenna isn't at WBA anymore. Jay Oliva is working with Zack Snyder.

I can pull some longtime credited producers with a bias for DC animation:

Rick Morales
Ethan Spaulding
Curt Geda
Butch Lukic
Jim Krieg (probably become Supervising Producer)

Or maaaaaybe Brandon Vietti? I know he's still working on Young Justice but anything is possible. Usually it's the person who worked on the animation side of the action shows that take the reigns as Executive Producer, at least that's what I noticed.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Amy McKenna left WBA if I'm not mistaken.
I guess she might have left after Apokolips War like Tucker.

I can pull some longtime credited producers with a bias for DC animation:

Rick Morales
Ethan Spaulding
Curt Geda
Butch Lukic
Jim Krieg (probably become Supervising Producer)

Or maaaaaybe Brandon Vietti? I know he's still working on Young Justice but anything is possible. Usually it's the person who worked on the animation side of the action shows that take the reigns as Executive Producer, at least that's what I noticed.
Morales worked on all the LEGO movies, right? Spaulding, yeah. He's been working off and on on DCU movies and series. Geda is another good candidate.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
If we go by the likes of Timm and Tucker (who lean towards the more animation/general showrunner side of things), then it's unlikely Jim Krieg or somebody like Robert Goodman would take over. The co-producer (Krieg) seems more involved with story development and script supervision/editing. That's an important job so I doubt Krieg would leave it so soon.

I think the most likely candidates are:

1.) Butch Lukic: He has done alot of work at WB, including extensive work under Timm and Tucker. He produced the Batman Unlimited movies/shorts, Justice League Action (and it's shorts), as well as Constantine: City of Demons. He has the skills, expertise and clear knowledge of how things work at WB. Time for a much bigger promotion?

2.) Ben Jones***: Now hear me out on this one. A fantastic resume, filled with extensive work alongside James Tucker. A producer on all the DC Nation shorts and the highly successful Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Apparently Timm suggested that Tucker coulud take over from him once he left the line, so has Tucker done the same and named Jones? Is this why Tucker has helped him out as ''Producer of Post-Production'' on DC Super Hero Girls, giving him some transition time before he takes on the DC Universe movies?

3.) Curt Geda: Similar experience to Lukic, but perhaps his producing credits are a little more spotty. He's a wonderful director, but does he have what it takes to steer the ship the way a personality like Timm can? Maybe he's quite happy with a directing gig and keeping out of the limelight. Still, he wouldn't be a bad choice.

4.) Glen Murakami: He hasn't really done all that much since Beware the Batman ended over 5 years ago. Plus, apart from an associate priducer credit on TTG!, is he even still at WB animation? Another good and highly experienced choice.

I also agree with Yojimbo, that Montgomery and Dos Santos would be wonderful but unlikely. It'll be interesting to see who got the job.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I'd say it's a toss up between Glen Murakami and Ethan Spaulding. Glen certainly has the experience, what with his work on Batman Beyond, Justice League, Teen Titans, Beware The Batman, and more. I do find it odd how he hasn't done much since then. Yes, he directed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Half Shell Heroes (I don't remember if that's the name, but I know the special came out November 22, 2015) and was a producer on the Harpy Gee short, but that's it. As for Ethan, I do like his work on Batman Assault On Arkham and Justice League: Throne Of Atlantis. Plus, his work on Avatar The Last Airbender, Thundercats 2011, Lego Flash movie, and the Scooby movies he worked on help out. He's also not extremely busy. I was going to say Rick Morales, but I think he's more dedicated to the Lego movies (with the few he didn't work on being because of his work on Lego Scooby Doo or Lego DC Superhero Girls).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
If we go by the likes of Timm and Tucker (who lean towards the more animation/general showrunner side of things), then it's unlikely Jim Krieg or somebody like Robert Goodman would take over. The co-producer (Krieg) seems more involved with story development and script supervision/editing. That's an important job so I doubt Krieg would leave it so soon.
Good points.

2.) Ben Jones***: Now hear me out on this one. A fantastic resume, filled with extensive work alongside James Tucker. A producer on all the DC Nation shorts and the highly successful Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Apparently Timm suggested that Tucker coulud take over from him once he left the line, so has Tucker done the same and named Jones? Is this why Tucker has helped him out as ''Producer of Post-Production'' on DC Super Hero Girls, giving him some transition time before he takes on the DC Universe movies?
I like this theory the more I read it.

4.) Glen Murakami: He hasn't really done all that much since Beware the Batman ended over 5 years ago. Plus, apart from an associate producer credit on TTG!, is he even still at WB animation? Another good and highly experienced choice.
He's hard to keep track of. He sure doesn't leave much of an Internet footprint, that's for sure. Like Timm, no social media. But doesn't post in places like here.

dmxx116

I would for WB to bring back John Semper Jr who produced Spider-Man: The Animated Series and came on to help the 3rd and 4th season of Satic Shock as one of the new producers, Semper will do a great job.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
He's hard to keep track of. He sure doesn't leave much of an Internet footprint, that's for sure. Like Timm, no social media. But doesn't post in places like here.

He does have an Instagram, but he doesn't really post much, just occasional art pieces and they're not all DC Animation-related. He did have some production commentary on Glenn Wong's Beware concepts, though.

Nexonius

I think the most likely candidates are:

1.) Butch Lukic: He has done alot of work at WB, including extensive work under Timm and Tucker. He produced the Batman Unlimited movies/shorts, Justice League Action (and it's shorts), as well as Constantine: City of Demons. He has the skills, expertise and clear knowledge of how things work at WB. Time for a much bigger promotion?

3.) Curt Geda: Similar experience to Lukic, but perhaps his producing credits are a little more spotty. He's a wonderful director, but does he have what it takes to steer the ship the way a personality like Timm can? Maybe he's quite happy with a directing gig and keeping out of the limelight. Still, he wouldn't be a bad choice.

4.) Glen Murakami: He hasn't really done all that much since Beware the Batman ended over 5 years ago. Plus, apart from an associate priducer credit on TTG!, is he even still at WB animation? Another good and highly experienced choice.

I also agree with Yojimbo, that Montgomery and Dos Santos would be wonderful but unlikely. It'll be interesting to see who got the job.
If I'm not mistaken, Ben Jones left WBA for Gaumont this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Members online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts