DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 10 (Spoilers)

beyond94

I think if and when we do see Darkseid's daughter Grail in a future DC Universe animated movie in the shared Justice League War universe possibly in 2021 I feel the actress best suited to do her voice is #CarrieCoon who was Proxima Midnight in Marvel Studios Avengers Infinity War and Avengers Endgame. I think her voice would fit the character so well and she can do evil and demented so well and she would work so well with the voice of Darkseid Tony Todd. I like to see voice director Wes Gleason bring Miss Coon for Grail if she's ever introduced in the possible#JusticeLeagueDarkseidWar adaptation

Mod Note: Images too big and have been removed post but can still be viewed below.

Attachments

• Grail DC Comics.jpg
    Grail DC Comics.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Carrie-Coon-pregnant-with-first-child-Its-true.jpg
    Carrie-Coon-pregnant-with-first-child-Its-true.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited by a moderator:

EmaHalJordan

It bothers me a lot to see Cyborg on the cover and not Green Lantern.
To the point that I will not buy this edition if they do not change it!

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
It bothers me a lot to see Cyborg on the cover and not Green Lantern.
To the point that I will not buy this edition if they do not change it!
That's a ridiculous reason not to buy a movie. If you weren't actually planning on buying it, that's fine, but don't say that is the thing that dissuaded you. It's not believable.

Last edited:

EmaHalJordan

That's a ridiculous reason not to buy a movie. If you weren't actually planning on buying it, that's fine, but don't say that is the thing that dissuaded you. It's not believable.
Actually I already have the 2 movies, but I had planned to buy this new edition!
But with that cover I am not going to buy it, I will continue with the editions that I already have, the image in the cover is THE SUPERMAN FUNERAL! and it bothers me not to see Green Lantern there. They put Martian Manhunter, it would be a nice gesture to see the real founding members there!

Kirben

Why are the identities of the main villains more frequently changed in movie adaptions now? it has happened in Batman: Gotham by Gaslight and Batman: Hush so far.

I don't read the comic side much, and always find a new character for a villain more interesting, than the same old villains. I don't understand why they keep changing them to common characters... it destroys the original stories.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Why are the identities of the main villains more frequently changed in movie adaptions now? it has happened in Batman: Gotham by Gaslight and Batman: Hush so far.

I don't read the comic side much, and always find a new character for a villain more interesting, than the same old villains. I don't understand why they keep changing them to common characters... it destroys the original stories.
It's not all one-sided, Cyborg Superman was still Hank Heywood after all. Some people think it ruins the original story, but they're not trying to reproduce the original story 1:1 with these movies.

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

This seems to be from a desire to provide something new for those who have read the original stories, though I see that as a double-edged sword. The original tales were constructed towards a specific ending; adding a new twist can make for some very awkward and even tortured story beats.

Frontier

Staff member
The thing is that the mystery in Gaslight and Hush are so obvious that they're not really good mysteries, so I think that's probably why they felt the need to change them.

Not to say they probably couldn't have effectively told the story while keeping the original villain, but I can see their perspective on changing things.

All the same, I'm not expecting them to change the identity of the Holiday Killer for Long Halloween.

SweetShop209

I haven't read the comics the movies are based on (my information for them is mainly from tv tropes), though I find it interesting how the twists in the 2 movies involve adaptational villainy and adaptational heroism.
The twist of Batman Gotham By Gaslight is that James Gordon, who's normally an ally of Batman, is Jack The Ripper, while Jacob Parker is reduced to a nameless cameo as Bruce's lawyer. The twist of Batman Hush is The Riddler being Hush, unlike Thomas Elliot in the source material, who the movie makes into a legitimate good guy who ends up dying .
Coincidentally, Jim Krieg was involved in both movies, being the respective writer and co-producer. I guess when it comes to adapting classic DC stories, he likes adding some twists.

dmxx116

I think we might see a original story from Bruce Timm in 2021 like he did in 2015,2017 and 2019.

Last edited:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider

Frontier

Staff member
The 2020 DC Universe/DC Showcase entries are up for pre-order on WB Shop UK. As such, they have their temporary artwork attached as well. We know from past experiences that this tells us absolutely nothing about the content/continuity (so don't go over-analysing that gargoyle in the Death in the Family artwork), but it's still pretty neat to see them.

Superman: Red Son
Justice League Dark: Apokolips War
Superman: Man of Tomorrow

Batman: Death in the Family
That won't stop me from speculating away ;).

Red Son feels fitting :cool:.

JLD: Apokolips War...looks like Apokolips? Or at least the environment where the slave-class usually lives :confused:.

Nice shot of Metropolis. I would say it looks like Metropolis from past in-continuity movies, but I think that's also been the basic design for Metropolis in general for anything animated :sweat:.

I swear I've seen that design for Wayne Industries before...

Frontier

Staff member
I think it's that. Like their first appearances in public sort of thing.
Hmm...I assumed that was when we saw them from the telecast, but maybe it will seem more cohesive if they work in the post-credit scene teasing each one :)?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Hmm...I assumed that was when we saw them from the telecast, but maybe it will seem more cohesive if they work in the post-credit scene teasing each one :)?
Well, like for Superboy - I think there's more scenes to be gleaned from him stepping out of Cadmus in Death of to being a Lexcorp tool in Reign.