DC Comics Animation - General Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread, Part 10 (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
My guess is they probably didn't want to show 2 movies with slightly different origins for Wonder Woman one after the other. :p

I think a better choice would have been Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, granted it's a Supergirl story but Diana gets some cool moments in there, too.

FlawlessVictory

I'm genuinely starting to wonder if Butch Lukic just has a thing for Kaiju :p.

Who is the current supervising producer of these animated movies? Is it Butch? I know it was James Tucker up until JLD: AW (and Bruce Timm before him) but I don't recall seeing James' name attached to S: MoT so I'm guessing James is no longer involved?

Mod Note: Discussion continued from the
"Justice Society: World War II" News & Discussion Thread.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
It was mentioned in the Man of Tomorrow Press Release, it seems like Butch Lukic is taking over James Tucker's role as Supervising Producer.
Superman: Man of Tomorrow introduces a new producing vision to the DC Universe Movies series, which now numbers 41 films over its 13 years of existence. Supervising Producer Butch Lukic has a rich pedigree in DC animated productions, serving as producer on Constantine: City of Demons, Justice League Action and the Batman Unlimited franchise, as well as directing episodes of Justice League, Batman Beyond and Beware the Batman. Lukic brings a new visual aesthetic to Superman: Man of Tomorrow that departs from the animation styles – of previous producers Bruce Timm (23 films) and James Tucker (17 films) – thus far represented in the DC Universe Movies.

EmaHalJordan

I was wondering if Long Halloween will not be a movie in continuity and they almost have the League. How long will it take to see Hal Jordan, because it has to be him! :D

IMG_20210331_145702.jpg

Maybe after a movie with the big 7 I would like them to start showing other formations, for many years they have been using to the 7. It would be good if they start with something classic that we never saw animated like the confrontation against Starro and already move on to movies where the Trinity is not even united.
For exemple:

Superman-Atom-Hawkwoman-Green Lantern-Flash-Elongated Man-Martian Manhunter

Wonder Woman-Aquaman-Red Tornado-Firestorm-Black Canary and Green Arrow-Martian Manhunter

Batman-Green Arrow-Green Lantern-Zatanna-Atom-Hawkman-Martian Manhunter

Martian Manhunter in All movies :D

Frontier

Staff member
I do notice a few comments in interviews for the JSA movie about it being part of a "new DC Animated Universe," so take from that what you will.

I do wonder whether the 2022 film with feature a new GL.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Idk, during Superman press, Lukic seemed to indicate the feeling from the powers that be was to go back to stand alone movies after the big continuity Tucker did for the last couple years.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Maybe they were just being low-key about it.
Yeah, that could be the case. But I think it's just economical on WBHE's part. It saves a lot of time if they stick to just one artist, I'm sure someone did the bean counting and realized how much money they saved with just Bourassa compared to all the designers they had before him. And it also saves a lot of time in the production process I'm sure to have one template ready to go.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah, that could be the case. But I think it's just economical on WBHE's part. It saves a lot of time if they stick to just one artist, I'm sure someone did the bean counting and realized how much money they saved with just Bourassa compared to all the designers they had before him. And it also saves a lot of time in the production process I'm sure to have one template ready to go.
Not even just for these films but for practically anything Bourassa does design work for with the amount of designs that end up being re-used across different productions :p.

EmaHalJordan

You know, I wouldn't mind Kyle Rayner or Jessica Cruz being the Lantern of this potential universe. Just to shake it up a bit from Jordan and Stewart.
To have a Green Lantern other than Hal, I prefer that we have a radically different League.
Having Barry, having 6 originals, and not having Hal seems unfair to me.
I prefer either a very different League, or the original founders at least in the first movie.

Dallas Kinard

Honestly, as much as I've grown up with John Stewart, I always thought he was a little dull character-wise. I've always preferred stories featuring Hal or Kyle as they just seem to have more personality. But, I don't like pitting characters against one another either. One time when I was at the store, I had a Hal Jordan shirt on and one of the employees said "John Stewart is the best!" when I walked by. Not sure why that was necessary because I don't care who your favorite one is. He also didn't care to explain why. The green lantern fandom can be quite toxic in this regard IMO. Like who you like, just don't put others down for having a different opinion!

EmaHalJordan

Honestly, as much as I've grown up with John Stewart, I always thought he was a little dull character-wise. I've always preferred stories featuring Hal or Kyle as they just seem to have more personality. But, I don't like pitting characters against one another either. One time when I was at the store, I had a Hal Jordan shirt on and one of the employees said "John Stewart is the best!" when I walked by. Not sure why that was necessary because I don't care who your favorite one is. He also didn't care to explain why. The green lantern fandom can be quite toxic in this regard IMO. Like who you like, just don't put others down for having a different opinion!
I completely agree!
My desire to see Hal in the movie is because this Barry and 6 of the original members, if it were a very different line-up for me, put whatever Green Lantern you want.

I loved the Justice League Animated for years with John Stewart who is not my favorite.

But I don't think it's the Green Lantern fans that are toxic, I think it's the DC fans in general that make the GLs compete.
And especially a sector that has a great hatred for Hal Jordan, perhaps for being the classic and popular GL!

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
John Semper Jr. revealed in a Facebook post that he will be co-writing a DC animated feature due for release next year:

By the way, while we’re on the subject, I do have an upcoming DC animated feature in the pipeline which I’ve co-written, and I’m much more excited about that than I am about anything having to do with the Spider-Verse. The DC animated movie is in production right now, and it will be out sometime next year and it will blow a few minds -- but I can’t talk about it yet.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
John Semper Jr. revealed in a Facebook post that he will be co-writing a DC animated feature due for release next year:
Cool! But which day was this post?

EDIT: Never mind, found it. Here (must be logged in)

Could it be a Static Shock movie? Hudlin did hint at being in talks to do one, last year I think? But Semper did recently work on the JLA episode "The Brain Buster" where Batman, Mr. Terrific, Lex Luthor, Calculator, and The Brain were forced to play Mister Mind's Brain Games to see who was the smartest.

Last edited:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Cool! But which day was this post?

EDIT: Never mind, found it. Here (must be logged in)

Could it be a Static Shock movie? Hudlin did hint at being in talks to do one, last year I think? But Semper did recently work on the JLA episode "The Brain Buster" where Batman, Mr. Terrific, Lex Luthor, Calculator, and The Brain were forced to play Mister Mind's Brain Games to see who was the smartest.

The Static Shock project by Hudlin (Co-written by Randy McKinnon) is live action, correct?

Having worked on JLA, it helps to be in the fold with Butch Lukic and Jim Krieg, so I guess it could be any DTV they asked him to co-write.