DC Comics Animation - Comic Book News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Wait...seriously? Didn't see that coming o_O.
James did an interview with Slott about it a few years back, "Had Batman Adventures continued, Dan Slott said, The Red Hood would have been revealed as Andrea Beaumont's mother, Victoria Beaumont, who also happened to be the real head of the Valestra mob. Years ago, she faked her death in an attempt to get her family away from the Valestra mob, and was disappointed to see her family eventually fall into their clutches. However, when she saw what happened to her husband, and what eventually became of her daughter, she felt it was time to not only get revenge on the Valestra mob, but take Gotham for herself. Inevitably, this would have led to a devastating confrontation between her, Batman, and Andrea Beaumont."

Frontier

Staff member
James did an interview with Slott about it a few years back, "Had Batman Adventures continued, Dan Slott said, The Red Hood would have been revealed as Andrea Beaumont's mother, Victoria Beaumont, who also happened to be the real head of the Valestra mob. Years ago, she faked her death in an attempt to get her family away from the Valestra mob, and was disappointed to see her family eventually fall into their clutches. However, when she saw what happened to her husband, and what eventually became of her daughter, she felt it was time to not only get revenge on the Valestra mob, but take Gotham for herself. Inevitably, this would have led to a devastating confrontation between her, Batman, and Andrea Beaumont."
Sounds...a little convoluted :sweat:.
I knew they couldn't resist Joker and Harley :p.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Wait...seriously? Didn't see that coming o_O.
He revealed the details a few years ago.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I hear a lot of people expressing doubt about that twist but it sounds kind of awesome to me.

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
It reminds me of this sort of silliness:

WF 194.jpg

Mask of the Phantasm is a story so perfectly self-contained that it doesn't need a follow-up, and even Paul Dini was unable to give it a satisfactory sequel.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
First of all I don't think Mask Of The Phantasm is perfect. Secondly, there's a difference between exploring a movie sequel for Phantasm and a non-canon comic book. Non-canon comic books are specifically where I want to see nonsense.

For the record, I'd buy the hell out of that World's Finest Comic.

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
I didn't say MoP was perfect, I said its story was so perfectly self-contained that any follow-ups were unnecessary. That includes the comic sequel Dini wrote for Batman & Robin Adventures Annual #1 and Slott's use of Phantasm in Batman Adventures. Neither really justified the Phantasm's return, and Slott's proposed use of Andrea's mother as a vengeful ex-moss bent on re-revenging her family feels like a tortuous soap opera stapled onto the coattails of the original story.

I own a reprint of the World's Finest comic and it's good silly fun. But that's not what I want out of a modern Batman comic that reuses characters from a very serious and very good Batman film.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
See, I never considered Batman Adventures to be a "serious" Batman comic. Which I why I read it.

You bring up decent points otherwise though. But Dan Slott's work on that book was amazing. I'm sure he could have made it work.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Despite the tepid reception, I actually enjoyed seeing Argylle in the cinema.
Shania Twain > Taylor Swift. That is all.
I wish the internet would quit pushing sites like Temu and Shein onto me. I can't stand them, for numerous reasons.
I almost forgot to mention, but I'm doing another Media Brackets competition

X-Men '97 is good so far, but don't forget that angst does not automatically equal depth. Just adding swears and piling on cheap tragedies doesn't instantly make your work deep or mature.

Featured Posts