DC Comics Animation - Comic Book News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Question: My local comic shop is closed because of the Coronavirus. My guy saves my books for me and I asked him to save this one. Does anybody know if comic shops that have closed are still getting in the new books and saving them for when they reopen? I tried calling the shop but I think they closed already. Has anybody talked to their local comic dealer about this and what is the general idea about these shops going forward?
More concrete details to come but it appears to shops can tell Diamond to "pause" shipping to them but all comics that were to release April 1 and beyond will not be shipped by Diamond to shops. So it sounds like these shipments of comics that have been printed already will just sit in Diamond's warehouses until the all clear is given. But again, not all details are known and more news to come. Essentially, if you don't want to wait x amount of time, sign up on digital sites like Comixology if you haven't already. It sounds like they are operating normally. I guess we'll see this Wednesday.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
More concrete details to come but it appears to shops can tell Diamond to "pause" shipping to them but all comics that were to release April 1 and beyond will not be shipped by Diamond to shops. So it sounds like these shipments of comics that have been printed already will just sit in Diamond's warehouses until the all clear is given. But again, not all details are known and more news to come. Essentially, if you don't want to wait x amount of time, sign up on digital sites like Comixology if you haven't already. It sounds like they are operating normally. I guess we'll see this Wednesday.
I don't mind waiting at all. I'll wait a year a half if need be. I just don't want to miss out.

Frontier

Staff member
Dini shared panels from Issue #2. Robin and Deathstroke and some bees/hornets (HIVE?). Batman's got Mad Hatter and his Wonderland Gang to deal with, too. Walrus, Carpenter, and March Hare. :D
I love how Dini is using this series as an excuse to introduce the members of the Wonderland Gang he created in the main continuity comics into the DCAU ;).

Although Carpenter looks an awful lot like Harley here, admittedly :sweat:.

Hatter looks more like his B:TAS design then his TNBA design. Not that I Mind :).

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Hatter looks more like his B:TAS design then his TNBA design. Not that I Mind :).
I noticed that too. I wonder if the design choice is left up to Templeton or if Dini indicates which designs to use in the script.
I don't mind either. I prefer the B:TAS design to the TNBA. But yes, Revelator's question I think has been tweeted to Dini already so we'll see if he answers but I'd guess artistic license. I recall in #1, Bane is in his TNBA design. Pretty much everyone so far - Alfred, Gordon, Batman.

Frontier

Staff member
I don't mind either. I prefer the B:TAS design to the TNBA. But yes, Revelator's question I think has been tweeted to Dini already so we'll see if he answers but I'd guess artistic license. I recall in #1, Bane is in his TNBA design. Pretty much everyone so far - Alfred, Gordon, Batman.
Covers have also been using the TNBA designs for the most part.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The talkback for the Batman: The Adventures Continue mini-series will go live here on the forum tomorrow morning, posted by myself likely no later than 8am ET. And stick around for more updates as the mini-series rolls on!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
WF also has the title page and two unlettered pages of BTAC #1 plus DC Nation's mini interview teasing a new character and some who are returning.
-Doing the season you might have seen if we had not put the New Batman/Superman Adventures aside to do Batman Beyond.
-Deathstroke has a female protégée named Sunny – yes, her name is ironic. She’s sort of a Batgirl gone way wrong.
-We even allude to certain episodes, such as one in which Robin befriended a little lost girl, who turned out to be part of Clayface. She comes back for a page or two in these comics.
-The most intriguing character in the run will be young man whose story threads through most of the issues. He’s a smart, super-elusive loner who knows way too much about the Dark Knight. How this mystery man fits into the world of Batman Adventures and what he means to accomplish should, I hope, be a real jolt for old fans
-A number of old favorite adversaries are coming back
-Clayface, Mad Hatter, Roxy Rocket, appear in issue #2

SyFy has more unlettered pages (2 covers, title card, 7 pages) and:
-Digital First: After #1, #2-6 release bi-weekly (every other week?) then the print run is/was starts/starting May 6
-These continuing stories will address certain gaps from the original show
-Reveals secret histories that could upend Batman's world
-The idea was to feature popular villains and storylines from the books, which the series hadn't dealt with
-Jim Gordon, Harvey Bullock, Catwoman, Clayface, Bane appear
-There will be some interesting new villains created just for this run
-The through line of the story be about Batman himself. It deals with a number of good and bad choices Batman made over the years and how a tragedy in his past affects his crime-fighting family today

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Lex just can't leg it go :p.
They are basically retroactively bridging The New Batman-Superman Adventures and Justice League. I was thinking this is set before "Legacy" though but perhaps it's after "Knight Time" (amusing in itself since it also has Bane falling on his face and Mad Hatter) and this a remnant left over from the explosion in space. Superman wanted to make sure it was fully inert. I guess WayneTech is supposedly more equipped than S.T.A.R. Labs to do testing? Hrm. Lex, none the wiser about the nanite payload maturing inside of him, simply wants another shot at the Brainiac tech and probably arrogantly thinks he can better contain it than the "Ghost in the Machine" debacle.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I wonder if this will finally resolve the Red Hood subplot from The Batman Adventures #8.
I doubt Dan Slott secretly gave his ideas to Paul Dini or that Dini is going to salvage someone else's. If anything it'll be another nail to set that comic book and its predecessor series as an alternate universe. Basically what Disney did to the Dark Horse Star Wars comics after they took over the franchise, strip them from the main line canon into their own standalone AU. But then again, Slott's Red Hood was a different person or if you go by Bruce Timm's answer years ago, if it's not later adapted into animation no comic is canon and you down a rabbit hole of what's canon...

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I doubt Dan Slott secretly gave his ideas to Paul Dini or that Dini is going to salvage someone else's. If anything it'll be another nail to set that comic book and its predecessor series as an alternate universe. Basically what Disney did to the Dark Horse Star Wars comics after they took over the franchise, strip them from the main line canon into their own standalone AU. But then again, Slott's Red Hood was a different person or if you go by Bruce Timm's answer years ago, if it's not later adapted into animation no comic is canon and you down a rabbit hole of what's canon...
Well, Slott did say that had he continued the storyline, he would revealed that Red Hood was actually the mother of the Phantasm after all and I wasn't really expecting him to return to being involved in this.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts