DC Comics Animation - Comic Book News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Here's a question: Is the comic going to have the sensibility of Batman: The Animated Series and The Batman Adventures in going for a TV-Y7 tone, or is it going to be inappropriate and not for kids like Batman And Harley Quinn? If it's the latter I might not bother.

I'll get those cheap Batman Adventures reprints though.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Here's a question: Is the comic going to have the sensibility of Batman: The Animated Series and The Batman Adventures in going for a TV-Y7 tone, or is it going to be inappropriate and not for kids like Batman And Harley Quinn? If it's the latter I might not bother.
I asked Paul Dini for you. He said, "Pretty much just like the animated series."

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Otaku-sempai

Since one purpose of Batman: The Adventure Continues is to introduce more characters for the toy line, it would make more sense if this girl was someone like Stephanie Brown (a.k.a. Spoiler).

EDIT: Or that could even be (dare I suggest it?) Cass Cain.

Last edited:

iammattie

Since one purpose of Batman: The Adventure Continues is to introduce more characters for the toy line, it would make more sense if this girl was someone like Stephanie Brown (a.k.a. Spoiler).

EDIT: Or that could even be (dare I suggest it?) Cass Cain.
I dont see that being the case. The only confirmed ones from the toy line to be included in the series so far are the ones that release in, what was it, May? June?

They've already announced the 2nd wave for October, so if they're adding Cass/Stephanie to the toy line, I can't imagine it'd be til after that, at which point the 6 issue series will have already run its course.

Not to mention she's wearing literally the same outfit as Annie.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I dont see that being the case. The only confirmed ones from the toy line to be included in the series so far are the ones that release in, what was it, May? June?
Red Hood and Azrael on May 27, Deathstroke and Super Armor Batman on July 29, and just revealed - The Batman Who Laughs and Vampire Batman on October 28. That's seems to restrictive creatively to say the only new characters in the book will be the ones with toys. I doubt that would fly with Burnett and Dini...

Not to mention she's wearing literally the same outfit as Annie.
There's the possibility this is the real person who Annie was modeled from by Clayface, imo. There has to be a reason Deathstroke is targeting her. It doesn't really make sense that he would target a clay scout.

CyberCubed

I just view comics based on shows lesser canon than shows or movie DTV's. Maybe they'll animate these stories in movie format eventually and then I'll consider it canon. If not, it's just comics like Batman Adventures in the 90's.

iammattie

That's seems to restrictive creatively to say the only new characters in the book will be the ones with toys. I doubt that would fly with Burnett and Dini...

To be fair, the post I was responding to insinuated that it would be a newly introduced character to sell a new toy.

There's the possibility this is the real person who Annie was modeled from by Clayface, imo. There has to be a reason Deathstroke is targeting her. It doesn't really make sense that he would target a clay scout.
A good point, but I don't think it was ever suggested that Clayface had to model his appearance/his offshoots appearance(s) on real people. That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me since we know Annie was created while he wasnt really all together and was very much away from people. We never got a confirmation for how he came to be in the possession of Morgan Edge did we? It seems just as possible that Deathstroke could be hunting him down for that reason or something else entirely. Who knows, maybe it's just a variant cover and Sean wanted to plop in a character he liked for the show just for the heck of it.

I did come across this post from Bruce back in the day

for the record: i don't hate cassandra -- don't love her either -- i've read a few of the comics (really liked damian scott's art), but never had a strong opinion of her as batgirl one way or the other

Which suggests to me that Annie wasn't modled after Cass as some fan theories have suggested, so to me it just doesn't seem to plausible.

But, what do i know, I was also under the impression that Crisis was gonna merge the worlds of Burton's Batman with the Reeves/Superman Returns world. I'm probably not the best at speculating.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
To be fair, the post I was responding to insinuated that it would be a newly introduced character to sell a new toy.
2/21: I was responding to someone's reply. :p

A good point, but I don't think it was ever suggested that Clayface had to model his appearance/his offshoots appearance(s) on real people. That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me since we know Annie was created while he wasnt really all together and was very much away from people. We never got a confirmation for how he came to be in the possession of Morgan Edge did we? It seems just as possible that Deathstroke could be hunting him down for that reason or something else entirely. Who knows, maybe it's just a variant cover and Sean wanted to plop in a character he liked for the show just for the heck of it.
In BTAS, he did tend to either use famous people or past acting roles I think for his forms then started to mix it up with rando civilians. And yes, the covers tend to be a loose reflection of the story. Nope, I don't think they ever answered how Clayface went from police custody in TNBA to the black market to the collection of Morgan Edge in JL. Maybe there was something said in the failed Firestorm script but I don't recall any interview shedding light on how Edge got Clayface. I imagine it's fairly simple, Edge bribed an orderly at Arkham who used whatever means to covertly slip Clayface into a container meant for hazardous waste disposal then met up with a go-between, orderly got paid, and Edge got Clayface.

Just was thinking if it could be another Grant Walker situation where someone wants Clayface's powers to prolong his/her own life and sends Deathstroke to hunt him down/extricate him from Arkham or wherever he's stored and things don't go according to plan and Clayface is forced to create the Annie scout again to watch his back as he's on the run.

3/1: Dini posted a panel (upper left) of Bane lifting up Batman. I believe we saw a WIP of this in the initial announcement.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Which suggests to me that Annie wasn't modeled after Cass as some fan theories have suggested, so to me it just doesn't seem to plausible.
Not to mention that "Growing Pains" (the episode that Annie appeared in) aired on February 28, 1998, while Batman issue 567 (Cassandra's first appearance) was published on July 1999.

Frontier

Staff member
In BTAS, he did tend to either use famous people or past acting roles I think for his forms then started to mix it up with rando civilians. And yes, the covers tend to be a loose reflection of the story. Nope, I don't think they ever answered how Clayface went from police custody in TNBA to the black market to the collection of Morgan Edge in JL. Maybe there was something said in the failed Firestorm script but I don't recall any interview shedding light on how Edge got Clayface. I imagine it's fairly simple, Edge bribed an orderly at Arkham who used whatever means to covertly slip Clayface into a container meant for hazardous waste disposal then met up with a go-between, orderly got paid, and Edge got Clayface.
Failed Firestorm script? There was an idea for a Firestorm episode before "The Greatest Story Never Told" :confused:?
3/1: Dini posted a panel (upper left) of Bane lifting up Batman. I believe we saw a WIP of this in the initial announcement.
That Penguin advertising :p.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Failed Firestorm script? There was an idea for a Firestorm episode before "The Greatest Story Never Told" :confused:?
I'm not entirely sure. On July 7, 2006 in his Ask the Maestro thread, a user asked the late Dwayne McDuffie if Firestorm was forbidden from being used or just didn't make it into an episode. He replied, "We just never came up with a good script for him." He either meant they tried a few times during Justice League and JLU or they tried a few drafts of "The Greatest Story Never Told" before moving on to the final version with Booster. But based on Mr. Timm's posts April 2-3, 2007 here at this forum, sounds like the latter.

b.t.

Re: Annie -- Occam's Razor suggests that Matt Hagen caught Luc Besson's LEON: THE PROFESSIONAL on cable one night.

And as for how he ended up in Morgan Edge's possession, we were inspired by all the crazy stuff celebrities spend their money on -- complete dinosaur skeletons, whole islands, building a theme park in their backyard, etc. It's as if they have SO much money, they actually run out of things to spend it on. So, some broker calls Edge, "Hey boss, i found this guy says he's got an actual super villain for sale -- it's freakin' CLAYFACE -- yeah, in a barrel -- i can get him for you, real cheap too.."

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Interview with Paul Dini and Jim Fletcher. Dini talks about how he got the call about writing the comic but wasn't sure because of his schedule then Alan Burnett called him up asked if he wanted to team up on the comic. Issue #1 starts with Batman dealing with Bane then a giant robot with a mysterious power source raiding WayneTech, Dini teases Luthor's suit might be a prototype of the one seen on Justice League. Ty Templeton's designs for Batman Who Laughs, Red Hood, and Deathstroke/Slade shown. More panels previewed like Alfred and Bruce looking at the Super Armor Batsuit in the Batcave.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts