DC Comics Animation - Comic Book News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I wonder if it will tie into Justice League vs. Teen Titans when Batman pulled the Kryptonite shard on the possessed Superman.

And the finale of Part 1 I think. Presumably Part 2 will be paired with Reign next year or late this year.

-batmat-

I've recently found in my country volumes 1, 2 and 4 from The Batman Adventures and volumes 1 and 2 from The Batman & Robin Adventures trade collections. Bought them in a heartbeat. So far I've read volumes 1 and 2 from TBA.

I see they also released some of the Superman Adventures, but nothing else. No releases for Gotham Adventures or any other DCAU series. I wonder if they didn't sell very well so they stopped.

I would love to own the Gotham Adventures , the Lost Years and that run of 17 issues of The Batman Adventures from 2003 one day.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
DC Comics has provided details on the upcoming Young Justice trade paperback collection, called Young Justice: The Animated Series – Book One: The Early Missions. The trade paperback collections issue #0 – 13 of the 2011 – 2013 series along with content from Free Comic Book Day 2011. Details are up at The World's Finest.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
6/14: I noticed in the September solicits (towards the bottom), that #36 will be the final issue of the TTG! comic.

DC Comics has provided details on the upcoming Young Justice trade paperback collection, called Young Justice: The Animated Series – Book One: The Early Missions. The trade paperback collections issue #0 – 13 of the 2011 – 2013 series along with content from Free Comic Book Day 2011. Details are up at The World's Finest.
#0 and the 2011 FCBD issue are definitely the worms on the hook for some.

7/22: November solicits are out. Info on the 100 Page Giants for Teen Titans Go! and DC Super Hero Girls. It appears only 24 pages will be new stories, the rest will be reprints.
TEEN TITANS GO! GIANT #1
Includes 24 pages of new stories plus classic reprints!
ON SALE 11.06.19
$4.99 US | FC | 96 PAGES
DC SUPER HERO GIRLS GIANT #1
Includes 24 pages of new stories plus classic reprints!
ON SALE 11.13.19
$4.99 US | FC | 96 PAGES

The Death of Superman tie-in digital comic is finally getting a trade collection
THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN: THE WAKE TP
written by LOUISE SIMONSON
art by CAT STAGGS, JOEL OJEDA and others
cover by JERRY ORDWAY
First time in print! Revisit the story that rocked the world in this thriller that explores what happened before, during and after the battle with Doomsday that cost Superman his life! First, the Man of Steel must save an astronaut when a meteor crashes into a space shuttle, then stand between Major Lane and Metallo! Featuring additional chapters following the path of Jimmy Olsen in those fateful hours, plus the aftermath of the loss of a true hero. Collects the 2018 digital series THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN chapters #1-12.
ON SALE 11.20.19 $16.99 US | 136 PAGES FC | ISBN: 978-1-177950-1134

The last TTG! tpb also releases in November.
TEEN TITANS GO!: WEIRDER THINGS TP
writtenby DEREK FRIDOLFS, SHOLLY FISCH, AMANDA DEIBERT and others
art by DEREK FRIDOLFS, ERICH OWEN, SANDY JARRELL and others
cover by DARIO BRIZUELA
When Robin catches Starfire, Raven and Cyborg making paper airplanes, he warns them that they’re dangerously close to unlocking “The Deadliest Art”: origami. Then, the Titans are shunned by social media elites when a bad after-action photo reveals them as “Posers.” Can they finalize a successful stance in time to defeat their next great menace?
Collects issues #31-36.
ON SALE 11.13.19 $12.99 US | 128 PAGES FC | ISBN: 978-1-4012-9497-7

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Looks like a new Batman TAS digital comic will be launched in April. There's some preview art in the link.
EW has exclusively learned that DC Comics is launching a new six-issue miniseries called Batman: The Adventures Continue in April. Set in the world of the beloved show, the digital-first series is written by the show’s producers Paul Dini and Alan Burnett and illustrated by Ty Templeton, who worked on the show’s old tie-in comic series Batman Adventures.

Frontier

Staff member

CyberCubed

Unless this gets animated down the line, these are as "canon" as all the old 90's Batman Adventures comics, which means not at all.

Also find it bizarre they're trying to introduce Jason Todd which makes no sense. His costume isn't in Batman Beyond, there's no mention of any more than 2 Robin's in the entire DCAU, and there's literally no way to slot him in there between DIck and before Tim Drake arrives. Retconning him in makes no sense when there's no mention of him at all in Justice League or Batman Beyond.

iammattie

Unless this gets animated down the line, these are as "canon" as all the old 90's Batman Adventures comics, which means not at all.

"Continuity's a fluid thing. I mean, [James Bond's] "You Only Live Twice" COMPLETELY invalidates/contradicts [James Bond's] "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", but I like'em both, so they both happened! There, see how easy
that was? " - Bruce Timm

Also find it bizarre they're trying to introduce Jason Todd which makes no sense. His costume isn't in Batman Beyond, there's no mention of any more than 2 Robin's in the entire DCAU, and there's literally no way to slot him in there between DIck and before Tim Drake arrives. Retconning him in makes no sense when there's no mention of him at all in Justice League or Batman Beyond.

I'm 100% sure that both Paul Dini and Alan Burnett are aware of this. The thing is, the DCAU has changed character histories on multiple occasions. It's very possible they have him as The Red Hood without ever having been a Robin.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Probably wanting to capitalize on the DC Collectibles toyline.
That's what was said in the article... that release has literally the same name as the comic: Batman: The Adventures Continue and Templeton designed them.

As a recap for the 9 figures (I think 9 is the total so far):
Red Hood and Azrael release in May 2020.
Armored Batman and Deathstroke release in July 2020.
The Batman Who Laughs, Talon, Hush, Vampire Batman and Thomas Wayne as Batman for October 2020.

The question is will all these appear in the comic? I could see this "stranger in shadows" easily being either Jason Todd or Hush. Or the TDKR armor being used in battle against Lex in Issue #1. But Batman Who Laughs or Vampire Batman appearing could be a stretch, sure there's the multiverse out there and they could exist but it's just 6 issues. Outing Thomas as having a secret history as a proto Batman... I can't see that happening but there's been hypertime/AU timeline stories before so...

I'm 100% sure that both Paul Dini and Alan Burnett are aware of this. The thing is, the DCAU has changed character histories on multiple occasions. It's very possible they have him as The Red Hood without ever having been a Robin.
And let's not presume Todd will be a protagonist. Maybe they'll settle somewhere on a gray area. And it's not like Batman kept a costume of every Gotham-based vigilante in his case. If Red Hood turns out to be a force for good he works with, he'd be on the periphery of allies in Gotham like what I'd guess Creeper, Huntress, Black Canary, or Jason Blood/Etrigan were to him and not the inner circle of Robin, Batgirl, and Nightwing.

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
If Dini and Burnett are writing it, then it's already a step toward being "canon." More importantly, their authorship makes it a must-buy. I'm not crazy about Jason Todd or Azrael showing up, but Dini and Burnett revisiting BTAS is very exciting. The fact that Templeton--the best artist to draw in Timm's style aside from Timm himself--is providing the art shows that whoever put together this project has good taste.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Also in that B&W page, there was a piece of Brainiac being charged or something in the b.g. -- wonder if that's a clue or just an easter egg. The giant robot does kinda remind me of "Deep Freeze" but if this is set after "Destroyer" (the article did say it's set before the ROTJ flashback) I'm a little suspicious it isn't really Luthor. I mean, they did predict he and Darkseid would be back, but still...

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Wow... that logo is gorgeous.

I'm so excited for this. Whoever put this together absoultely did it right. Dini, Burnett and Templeton is a dream team. Yes, continuity may get messed up a little, but I never worry about that stuff anyway. It's just nice to get new stories in this world.

If it's successful, hopefully we get more than 6 issues.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
In terms of the Azrael story, couldn't help but think Ra's or Vandal are the culprits who stole from the Order. I think in the comics, the former has history with them, too. Wonder if it's the Suit of Sorrows or the two swords or something more in line with the Knights Templar. Hmm.

Also from May solicits:

The Batman Adventures will be reprinted monthly under a DC Classics banner for $1.99 starting May 6.

Batman Adventures: Batgirl A League of Her Own trade paperback releases on June 10 for $9.99. It collects Batgirl Adventures #1, Batman Gotham Adventures #8-9, 22, and 38.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts