DC Comics Animation - Comic Book News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
Nov 18, 2001
San Francisco, CA
If the selling point of these comics is the return of the BTAS/TNBA Batman, why has DC given them covers that aren't in that style? Ty Templeton is an excellent all-round artist--why isn't he (or someone similraly talented at working with the TNBA designs) doing the covers, or at least variant covers?

Thank you for the link and summary--I should have trusted the latter instead of watching that annoying hostess! This certainly makes clear how toy-driven the new series is. I'm slightly worried that the incorporation into TNBA of characters like the Red Hood/Jason Todd and Azrael-Batman will come off as contrived and forced. One of the great strengths of the DCAU was that it didn't ape all the gimmicks and bad ideas from the comics (unlike the current animated films). However, I trust Dini and Burnett to pull off this assignment, and if the series is a success, perhaps we'll get a film out of it too!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Details for Batman: The Adventures Continue #2 are up at The World's Finest!

Robin thinks Deathstroke has come to help? Didn't see that coming.

Thank you for the link and summary--I should have trusted the latter instead of watching that annoying hostess!
Yes, that was in part the reason I made summary, heh heh. I was also instantly compelled to inform Hector about Teen Titans existing in the canon after he commented about them.

This certainly makes clear how toy-driven the new series is. I'm slightly worried that the incorporation into TNBA of characters like the Red Hood/Jason Todd and Azrael-Batman will come off as contrived and forced. One of the great strengths of the DCAU was that it didn't ape all the gimmicks and bad ideas from the comics (unlike the current animated films). However, I trust Dini and Burnett to pull off this assignment, and if the series is a success, perhaps we'll get a film out of it too!
Yeah... but then again look at this way: JLU's series premiere, they skipped over introducing a vast majority of the new members' intros and you basically had to accept they existed in the canon the whole time and folks like Huntress and Black Canary have been operating in Gotham for x amount of time.

Yeah... the covers so far have been nice, but it would be much better if Bruce Timm or (realistically) Ty Templeton was given the assignment.

Perhaps they're worried plastering the art style on the covers would indicate a ''kids comic''?
I would guessed it was a scheduling issue but yeah, your theory about sales/kiddie fears/psychology sounds kinda right. But maybe depending on when Templeton was brought in, he had to go straight to working on interior art so they went to their pool and sought out cover artists to pitch in.

EDIT: Also the Batman Adventures #2 reprint comes out June 3.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Details for Batman: The Adventures Continue #2 are up at The World's Finest!

Deathstroke as a "swashbuckling mercenary?" This should be interesting :cool:.
If the selling point of these comics is the return of the BTAS/TNBA Batman, why has DC given them covers that aren't in that style? Ty Templeton is an excellent all-round artist--why isn't he (or someone similraly talented at working with the TNBA designs) doing the covers, or at least variant covers?
I actually kind of like the novelty of major comic artists drawing DCAU designs, but that's just me ;).
Thank you for the link and summary--I should have trusted the latter instead of watching that annoying hostess! This certainly makes clear how toy-driven the new series is. I'm slightly worried that the incorporation into TNBA of characters like the Red Hood/Jason Todd and Azrael-Batman will come off as contrived and forced. One of the great strengths of the DCAU was that it didn't ape all the gimmicks and bad ideas from the comics (unlike the current animated films). However, I trust Dini and Burnett to pull off this assignment, and if the series is a success, perhaps we'll get a film out of it too!
I am kind of morbidly curious how these characters/concepts will end up being integrated into the comic...Deathstroke shouldn't be too hard, nor would Azrael if you establish the Order of St. Dumas, but will Red Hood be like divorced from a lot of the comic events that made him Red Hood :confused:?

Reactions: Yojimbo

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
will Red Hood be like divorced from a lot of the comic events that made him Red Hood :confused:?
That's the white gorilla in the room. They can't just change it to some Batman fanboy kid who Batman failed to rescue from Joker in time. It's gonna be interesting. Or even the super armor from The Dark Knight Returns - I'd speculate it could be one of the earliest prototypes of the Beyond Batsuit and eventually it evolved into the suit in "Disappearing Inque" then of course, the one Terry uses. Talon and Hush are another easy fit. But yeah, Batman Who Laughs, Vampire Batman, Thomas Wayne Batman are like --- multiverse stories I guess. Unless the two former are some crazy stories of being bit by Nocturna and a Joker toxin incident gone horribly wrong.

Reactions: Frontier

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
Nov 18, 2001
San Francisco, CA
I actually kind of like the novelty of major comic artists drawing DCAU designs, but that's just me ;).
I would like that too if the artists had tried incorporating more of the DCAU style into their own. In the bonus section of Batman Adventures #25 that is exactly what happened, as in the contribution below from Kelley Jones, which pays tribute to the BTAS style while retaining Jones's own. But with these new comics the artists are just drawing the characters with their TNBA outfits, with no other nod to the series, and that is less interesting to me.

DTNw3_SU8AAEgOd.jpg

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I would like that too if the artists had tried incorporating more of the DCAU style into their own. In the bonus section of Batman Adventures #25 that is exactly what happened, as in the contribution below from Kelley Jones, which pays tribute to the BTAS style while retaining Jones's own. But with these new comics the artists are just drawing the characters with their TNBA outfits, with no other nod to the series, and that is less interesting to me.

View attachment 281330
I know Sean Murphy, the cover artist, is a B:TAS fan so I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to contribute a cover to the comic...it's just his art is so distinctive that that is his attempt at a more DCAU style :p.

Reactions: Revelator

Spider-Man

Jan 7, 2002
Is there a date yet for the first digital issue of Batman: The Adventure Continues? I will be buying the print edition but I want the digital version too. I assume it will be ten-page issues for 99 cents like most of DC's digital comics.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Question: My local comic shop is closed because of the Coronavirus. My guy saves my books for me and I asked him to save this one. Does anybody know if comic shops that have closed are still getting in the new books and saving them for when they reopen? I tried calling the shop but I think they closed already. Has anybody talked to their local comic dealer about this and what is the general idea about these shops going forward?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

For some reason I keep being reminded of this post I made on a Black Clover talkback thread: C&C - Black Clover - "The One With No Magic" [9/8]

It seems like the inspiration for Maya comes from his wife, mother, and sister.
The good news is I'm not scared anymore. The bad news is, as I have absorbed things, I am now freaking infuriated.
For nick@nite, and I thought full house was the only one skipped.., now George lopez is doing the same thing.. early Mon Jun 1 3:30am was No Free Launch, then skipped episodes to A Kiss is Just Kiss episode aired early Jun 2 at 4am. Very weird for nick@nite, obvi a sign that show won't last long