DC Comics Animation - Comic Book News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Possible Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Welcome to the new DC Animated Comics News & Discussion thread! Discuss what you think will be happening in upcoming issues, hints and tidbits from interviews, press releases, solicitation info --anything that's been officially released by the comic company or creative team is discussable here! Covering all your favorite current animated comic series, discuss it all here!

Find more comic news at The World's Finest and check out the latest posts in this very thread for more announcements and updates!

Discuss!

Check out details on the animated titles from Marvel Comics here!

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
I wonder what will become of Justice League Unlimited. That comic has such excellent potential, but it's wasted month after month on "meet the new hero!" stories that fly in the face on continuity and characterization.

Are the tried, tested and true DC Adventures writers all unavailable? That Supergirl issue was the only one thus far I've found to be worth reading, although I hear the Phantom Strange Christmas issue was pretty good...

I just wrote a letter in support of TTG! (despite not being more than a casual reader), even though I'm not sure that email address is the right one to send letters too.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
DC Comics released the solicitation information for their July shipping comics on Monday, including their animated titles. Here's what we can expect in July from our favorite animated titles:

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED #35

Written by: Mateo Casali
Art by: Scott Cohen and Al Nickerson
Cover by: Zach Howard

Natasha Irons is tired of her Uncle Steel getting to do all the heroics in the family. But an attack from the Millennium Giants may prove she's in over her head! On Sale July 11, 2007.

THE BATMAN STRIKES! #35

Written by: J. Torres
Art by: Christopher Jones & Terry Beatty
Cover by: Sanford Greene & Nathan Massengill

The Riddler starts a contest with the supervillain robot known only as D.A.V.E. for the right to destroy the Batman! Batgirl and Robin will be in a race against time to riddle their way through some of the most dangerous and ingenious traps. On Sale July 11, 2007.

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES IN THE 31ST CENTURY #4

Written by: Christine Boylan
Art and Cover by: Steve Uy

It's just another day in the life of a half-living computer, half-teenaged super-hero: fighting crime, saving the galaxy, acing your final exams. Will brains win out over brawn when the Fatal Five come to Brainy's home planet? Or will failure be the first thing on Brainy's permanent record? On Sale July 18, 2007.

TEEN TITANS GO! #45

Art by: Alex Serra and Fabio Laguna
Cover by: Todd Nauck

Special Secret Origins issue! The real stories behind Beast Boy and Cybrog's pasts can finally be revealed! On Sale July 25, 2007.

Sue

Hawk Groupie
I wonder what will become of Justice League Unlimited. That comic has such excellent potential, but it's wasted month after month on "meet the new hero!" stories that fly in the face on continuity and characterization.

Are the tried, tested and true DC Adventures writers all unavailable? That Supergirl issue was the only one thus far I've found to be worth reading, although I hear the Phantom Strange Christmas issue was pretty good...
Yeah, not that I'm complaining, but I'm still surprised it's being published with the show cancelled. The JL/U animated comics were rarely in continuity with the show, save for the characters. That's fine with me since they could go in different directions without having to strictly adhere to it.

Spider-Man

The Batman Strikes sounds good even though the cover art does not seem to match the soliciation information.

I also read that Teen Titans Go! news that it may be cancelled and DC Comics may rethink the Johnny DC line. If they do rethink the line I would like to see them do some sort of in-continuity DCAU Anthology title where we could visit that universe and any time period. Plus it may give us a chance to finally find out who the Red Hood is from Templeton/Slott's Batman Adventures run. Plus it could have stories featuring Batman Beyond, Justice League, Batman, Superman, all of the DCAU heroes.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
If they do revamp the Johnny DC line, I hope Justice League Unlimited is drastically improved upon. I'm not as tight about continuity as most, but the title has great potential now that the show has concluded, but the book rarely rises above average.

I remember the good old days of Batman Adventures with Templeton, Slott and Burchett. Still miss 'em. :)

Spider-Man

You know even when Batman: The Animated Series first premiered the Batman Adventures comic wasn't always in direct continuity with it anyway. It'as interesting to see how much more anal people have gotten over it. However with new episodes of the DCAU done for the time being I can understand. The comics for July sound good although I wonder what The Batman is about since the cover and information do not match. Does anyone know?

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Superman said:
You know even when Batman: The Animated Series first premiered the Batman Adventures comic wasn't always in direct continuity with it anyway. It'as interesting to see how much more anal people have gotten over it. However with new episodes of the DCAU done for the time being I can understand.

I don't mind the comic contridicting the cartoon that much, but the fact it doesn't even resemble the tone of the show bothers me. I realise they aim them towards a younger audience, but the same could be said about Batman Adventures and they managed to produce an exciting monthly Batman comic even when the mainstream titles were struggling to do the same.

The current JLU book reminds me of a Batman: Gotham Adventures during Peterson's run or any of the various Marvel comic cartoon tie ins - full of great potential that no one seems to be bothered to take advantage of.

One does wonder how much better the book would be if Ty Templeton was writing instead of just doing the (admittedly awesome) covers.

Silly McGooses

You know even when Batman: The Animated Series first premiered the Batman Adventures comic wasn't always in direct continuity with it anyway. It'as interesting to see how much more anal people have gotten over it. However with new episodes of the DCAU done for the time being I can understand.

I think that, although Batman Adventures and B:TAS sometimes weren't always able to stay 100% in continuity, the style and spirit of Batman Adventures was true to that of B:TAS, which I think is more than can be said for JLU. Of the few issues I've read, it often just seems like a kiddie-fied Justice League book that happens to look a little like a recent cartoon show.

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
I'm pleased to see Steel and his supporting characters seemingly in the spotlight in the JLU book. I just hope they get a new spin of some sort, and not the dull "But I wanna be a hero too!" formula.

TTG getting into the origins of it's characters? AWESOME. That's the kind of thing the show never really bothered to get into. I just hope the solicit isn't misdirecting us. I'd hate for it to be a Mumbo issue instead.

DC just launched a Legion book. Why do that if they were considering ending the line? I'm pretty sure the line has always been considered for cancellation....

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Paul Levitz was recently quoted on the cancellation of Teen Titans Go!:

I do not think we have officially ended Teen Titans Go!, but the time is certainly near. With the animated TV series wrapped up and sales of the comic always having been fairly modest, it is time to make room for new projects. I hope you will enjoy most of them as much as you did Teen Titans Go!.

And for the curious, DC Comics has provided the correct solicitation info for The Batman Strikes #35:

THE BATMAN STRIKES #35

Written & Art By: Russell Lissau, Christopher Jones and Terry Beatty
Cover by: Dave McCaig

When the Joker and Harley Quinn late over a late-night talk show, Batman and Robin end up in a race against time! They’ll have to keep the crowd from being Jokerized while making sure the Clown Prince of Crime doesn’t become the Clown Prince of Late Night!

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
So the book isn't cancelled as of yet...but will be shortly? Does that give J Torres and Todd Nauck time to write up some conclusive stories for the series?

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
DC Comics released the solicitation information for their August shipping comics on Monday, including their animated titles. Here's what we can expect in August from our favorite animated titles:

JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED #36

Written by: Simon Spurrier
Art by: Min S. Ku & Jeff Albrecht
Cover by: Zach Howard

The Question is on the trail again, and this time he's investigating the entire Justice League! On sale August 1st, 2007.

THE BATMAN STRIKES! #36

Written by: Josh Elder
Cover by: Sanford Greene & Nathan Massengill

Gearhead's turning Gotham City into a gigantic demolition derby! Batman's going to need all the help he can get, even if that means letting Batgirl get behind the wheel of the Batmobile! On sale August 8th, 2007.

THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES IN THE 31st CENTURY #5

Art by: Alexander Serra
Cover by: Steve Uy

Whoever said "lightning never strikes twice" never met Lightning Lad! What starts as a friendly challenge turns into the storm of the century under Emerald Empress's watchful Eye, pitting Superman against Lightning Lad for the fate of the Legion! On sale August 15th, 2007

TEEN TITANS GO! #46

Art by: Todd Nauck & Lary Stucker
Cover by: Nauck

Introducing: Wildfire! It's a family reunion when Starfire's long lost brother is found and visits Earth. But will he turn out to be a friend to the Titans like Starfire, or more of a foe like Blackfire? On sale August 29th, 2007.

THE BATMAN STRIKES: DUTY CALLS TP

Written by: Bill Matheny and J. Torres
Cover by: Jeff Matsuda

A new full size collection featuring The Batman Strikes #11-14 and #16-18 for $12.99! The all-ages stories in The Batman Strikes: Duty Calls feature the Dark Knight defending Gotham City against a who's who of his famous foes, including The Joker, the Penguin, Bane, Catwoman, Clayface, The Riddler and more! Advance-solicited; on sale September 12th, 2007.

Comments?

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
Is anyone else noticing how as TTG nears what we can assume is the end of it's run, the stories are starting to go back to the basics of the show? Now we're getting origins and meeting new family members...

I still like Nauck's artwork, but the coloring is looking really drab and pale. TT was a bright, vivid show. I wish they'd use bolder colors. I'm finding it odd that Superman Adventures, near the end of it's run, had more Teen Titanish colors than the actual tie-in comic.

A Question story, eh? I'll give it a look, but I'm pretty sure the first Question story had the exact same logline. I'm not a big Ku fan, but if the inker brings a strong style to his pencils, it may work for me.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I just want to make a couple brief comments on the solicitations.

First off, it's great to see Min S. Ku back in the Justice League fold. I think this is an issue that a lot of us comic readers are looking forward to. Hopefully he'll share some thoughts with us soon on this venture.

Secondly, take note of the The Batman Strikes trade. Why? It's a regular-sized trade, not a digest collection. For the past two to three years, DC Comics has been releasing their animated comics in digest collections. However, rumor has it that after initial high sales, the digests somewhat crashed and burn (hence the lack of any digest releases for the past six - twelve months). Now it seems DC is going back to the full-sized trades for their animated comic releases. With this coming, as well as a trade collecting Batman: Harley & Ivy (alongside some mainstream Harvey & Ivy stories), we could be seeing the rebirth of full-sized trade releases for our animated comics. With a whole library of animated comics to release, it would be nice for DC to continue this trend.

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
That would be nice! I'm happy for those who missed H+I that they'll get the chance to read it. Although, now that I think about it, I'm bummed for myself that it'll probably have an exclusive intro or extra sketches or something...:sweat:

Methinks that Gotham Girls might see a release following H+I. Those girls sure are popular!

And I'm with you Jim. The Teen Titans Go! Digest I have is cute, but I wouldn't want people to have to read Adventures comics that way. Hopefully, Superman Adventures releases will continue. Think they'll go back and finish up the original TBA trades? They only released two...

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Via press release, DC Comics has announced their November-scheduled collections. Once again, a new regular-sized trade of an animated comic is among the releases. It looks like DC is abandoning the digest collection.

Teen Titans Go!: Titans Together TP
Writer: J. Torres
Artists: Todd Nauck, Mike Norton, Lary Stucker and Scott Iwahashi
Collects: Teen Titans Go! #26-32
$12.99 U.S. 144 pages

The new trade will hit in November. The last Teen Titans Go! Digest, Volume #5, collected issues #21 - 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts