DC Comics Animation - Physical/Digital Media News & Discussion Thread, Part 20 (Spoilers)

Greg91

Reporter
Aw yeah! I've been waiting for this! I can finally watch the show from beginning to end. I saw the first few episodes when I was younger and the final episodes on The Death and Return of Superman Blu-ray but not the entire series. I liked what I saw but didn't keep up with it back in 2006. Superman, a bunch of heroes I'd never heard of and a fantastic theme song? So cool!

I'm really happy to be getting the chance to catch up on the DC animation I've missed on Blu-ray (ex. Justice League season two, Young Justice Outsiders) this year. Plus there are actual bonus features! :D

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Warner Archive announced that all episodes of the fan-favorite Legion of Super-Heroes animated series will arrive on Blu-ray come Summer 2020, along with a DVD collecting the series’ second season. Legion of Super-Heroes – The Complete Series will be available starting July 14, 2020, and is available for pre-order now through Warner Archive, WB Shop and other select digital retailers. As always, The World's Finest has the press details!

Dallas Kinard

Personally, I consider this series canon to both The Batman and Teen Titans. Serves as a nice finale to that head-canon universe.

khuddle

Looks like the animation is by the same studio that did "The Batman". Which quite frankly, I'm not crazy about.
Watchable, absolutely, but hardly cutting edge animation.

But I'll give it a look nonetheless.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'm not sure how reliable this website/twitter account is, but it claims that Superman: The Animated Series will be coming to Blu-Ray from WB on October 21st. Sounds like it could be a Warner Archive release?

So although WB/DC will be very quiet at this years Comic-Con@Home, we might want to keep an eye out for the following panel:

Warner Archive's Secret Origins of Saturday Morning Cartoons

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Way to spoil a great surprise, website, if it was only one more week left before it would be revealed. If Warner Archive is doing the set, then I would imagine this was going to be announced on the July 25 SDCC panel set for 10 am.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
To be fair, it was a French retail website that uploaded the details prematurely. Just like they did with Batman Beyond last year. Interesting that Warner Archive might be taking the reins for this one... I thought for sure the main home video people would tackle this release.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
To be fair, it was a French retail website that uploaded the details prematurely. Just like they did with Batman Beyond last year. Interesting that Warner Archive might be taking the reins for this one... I though for sure the main home video people would tackle this release.
True, I reduce my sarcastic rage by half. :p

But yes, it is odd. But WA has taken on pre-digitally animated series before - some of The Zeta Project and Static Shock were traditionally animated I believe. So they have the experience. Quality of the episodes shouldn't be an issue. Or maybe STAS didn't need extensive work done on restoring episodes that BTAS and BB did? What's also odd is they're choosing to release it this year. If they waited until next year, it would have been the 25th anniversary of the premiere in September. EDIT: I suppose they figured to strike while the iron is hot. 2020 is basically the year of Superman - Red Son in February/March, Legion of Super Heroes this week, Man of Tomorrow in August, and now potentially S:TAS in October.

Last edited:

Dallas Kinard

True, I reduce my sarcastic rage by half. :p

But yes, it is odd. But WA has taken on pre-digitally animated series before - some of The Zeta Project and Static Shock were traditionally animated I believe. So they have the experience. Quality of the episodes shouldn't be an issue. Or maybe STAS didn't need extensive work done on restoring episodes that BTAS and BB did? What's also odd is they're choosing to release it this year. If they waited until next year, it would have been the 25th anniversary of the premiere in September. EDIT: I suppose they figured to strike while the iron is hot. 2020 is basically the year of Superman - Red Son in February/March, Legion of Super Heroes this week, Man of Tomorrow in August, and now potentially S:TAS in October.
I'm just holding out hope for a release of "The Batman" this year. That would complete my collection.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts