DC Comics Animation - Blu-ray/DVD/Digital News & Discussion Thread, Part 19 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty

Superman.
Amazon France has a September 26, 2018 release date for a Batman: The Animated Series Blu-ray set. Could an announcement be forthcoming in the near future?

I hope it does really well, Cause I would love to see Batman Beyond and Superman The Animated Series get remastered to full 080p HD.

As for Static Shock... I am beyond happy we got this on DVD, but darn this would have looked great on BD, weren’t the
Last two season animated to easily be released in HD?
My one gripe of the DVDs is the terrible packaging, and DVD cover art is so blurry and cheap looking. I know it’s to save costs, but if Zeta (which is much less popular) could come out with HQ art and clean and good quality DVD covers, why not Tsatic Shock.. (*not to get political or cause any issues,) but the huge emergence and focus on of other ethnicity shows, Static Shock I imagined would have gotten more of an audience and profit return had it been released in brick and mortar stores... IMO anyway.
Again, I’m grateful we got it at all. :)

Kallum.

Spider-Man

With SDCC coming up has there been any panel details that could hint at a possible reveal for a BTAS Blu announcement?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
With SDCC coming up has there been any panel details that could hint at a possible reveal for a BTAS Blu announcement?
Not yet. We should within the next 2 weeks when SDCC starts updating with each day's schedule. And when we get that reveal, it'll be posted here and in the SDCC thread.

Spider-Man

Thanks! I'm looking forward to the panel.I read over on Blu-ray.com that the Amazon France listing was updated to say 'Batman La série animée - L'intégrale des 4 saisons - Coffret Blu-Ray - DC COMICS' (Batman The Animated Series - The Complete Four Seasons - Blu-Ray Box - DC COMICS). That sounds like it'll be the entire series in one collection. Cant wait for the SDCC panel!

Riddler

:D:D I'm so excited for this!!! :D:D

"Deluxe Limited Edition"....I wonder if there will be any new special features or extra goodies....

-batmat-

Gotta say, the art is pretty lackluster, but it's not a deal breaker of course, we're getting BTAS on blu ray! I wonder if there will be a standard edition along with this deluxe one

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It's already available for pre-order on Amazon.
No way in hell at that price. I sincerely hope there are no extras on it I want. Otherwise I'll be waiting months (or years) for a sale when I can actually afford it.

Does WHV actually understand that people are on a fixed income? And that we cannot buy all of the various DVD's and TV shows on Blu-Ray if they make too damn many to keep up with? I still haven't gotten the first season of Black Lightning. Which is like an Arrowverse first for me. I cannot affords these Blu-Rays if WHV is going to come out with so many and not at a reasonable price.

iammattie

Oh man, I want this but I'm kinda with FB on the price. I still haven't gotten the static s4 just cause of so much crud going on that I can't currently afford it. Was hoping maybe $80 but oh well...

Either way, the "deluxe limited edition" has me both intrigued and concerned. Why would you make something that's going to be a hot seller into a limited edition item? And why give it such a lackluster cover art? (hoping it's just a placeholder.)

Either way, I hope this does include the script for the gun episode that Alan Burnett has continuously insisted has been on a previous DVD release for the show but wasn't actually there. Would be nice to finally get that bonus feature.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I knew the price would be crazy, so I've been saving up like mad. I actually like how simple and elegant the cover is and hopefully it doesn't come in a rectangular box (WB are far too fond of those things).

A Bruce Timm painted cover would have been wonderful, but the important thing is the show itself, not the box it comes in.

#1 defender

You folks had me worried it's $150 - $200. $112 is still a lot, but i mentally prepared myself for this price range a long time ago. I also wouldn't be surprised if the price fell towards $80 - $90 before release, even if just temporarily. In any case, with Amazon's pre-order price guarantee it doesn't hurt to put in a pre-order, one can always cancel if the price stays the same between now and shortly before release.

I knew the price would be crazy, so I've been saving up like mad. I actually like how simple and elegant the cover is and hopefully it doesn't come in a rectangular box (WB are far too fond of those things).

A Bruce Timm painted cover would have been wonderful, but the important thing is the show itself, not the box it comes in.

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Iron-Giant-Blu-ray/153253/

I'd prefer if it was a standard sized box to fit in better on my shelf, since i gave up on buying huge collector's boxes once i stopped buying DVDs, but on the other hand, if i was willing to make room for another large box, B:TAS would be the one. Still, ideally they should release a standard edition in tandem with the limited edition, just to have a choice in terms of pricing and additional fluff.

Edit:

Oh, i just remembered, they did this type of release for the 10th anniversary of the DTV line:

dc-universe-anniversary-collection-1017032.jpg

and i certainly hope the B:TAS set won't be like that. I hate these book type sets, where the discs rest in pockets. I'd always be worried about the discs eventually getting scratched (i know BD have protective coating, but still). That would just make me hope that much more for a standard edition to be released simultaneously.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Oh man, I want this but I'm kinda with FB on the price. I still haven't gotten the static s4 just cause of so much crud going on that I can't currently afford it. Was hoping maybe $80 but oh well...

Either way, the "deluxe limited edition" has me both intrigued and concerned. Why would you make something that's going to be a hot seller into a limited edition item? And why give it such a lackluster cover art? (hoping it's just a placeholder.)

Either way, I hope this does include the script for the gun episode that Alan Burnett has continuously insisted has been on a previous DVD release for the show but wasn't actually there. Would be nice to finally get that bonus feature.
The reason the price is unreasonable is that this is essentially a double-dip for most people. While, yeah, we wanted the series on Blu-Ray, it is not the in demand first run experience Batman 66 or The Wonder Years was. DC should have been more aware of the fact that most of us own this material already.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The Batman: The Complete Animated Series Blu-ray collection will hit shelves October 16, 2018. The collection will feature new material, including a 60-minute featurette, the Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero HD remasters and more! Please note complete details have not been released as of yet. Check out The World's Finest for more!

Edit: An attendee of the panel posted a beauty shot of the collection (meaning the earlier artwork was temporary):

Kirben

Why can't Warner Bros just offer a simple standard edition for Batman: The Complete Animated Series, with decent Blu-ray packaging too? I'm not buying anything that still uses cardboard style book packaging again, and those pop figures are absolutely pointless.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Hmm, wonder if it's the same commentary releases from the DVD sets. Weird they'd include MoTP and Sub-Zero but not MotB. And there's the Sega cutscenes. But then again, not the full press release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts