DC Comics Animation - Blu-ray/DVD/Digital News & Discussion Thread, Part 19 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
If TNBA is not included I'd be shocked. It was considered the same show and WHV released it that way too on DVD (it was Volume Four). And you're right that they don't need to include Gotham Girls. They don't actually need to include ANY special features whatsoever. Doesn't mean I wish they didn't.

You don't really need to be shocked that TNBA is excluded in the upcoming release. It's not really considered to be the same show. It's considered to be the sequel of the show despite being labelled as the fourth BTAS volume.

I'll repeat again, it's a sequel to BTAS, not the fifth and sixth seasons of BTAS. Has anyone in the production team said that TNBA is actually a new season of BTAS?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Beam me up, Scotty.

17599ca7c7729f117a727afdb28e99c3.jpg

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The New Batman Adventures is actually Batman: The Animated Series. There's a reason why "Holiday Knights" has a production number of #86 and not #1. When the series was brought over to KidsWB! from Fox Kids, Kids'WB! ordered "new episodes" of Batman: The Animated Series. They didn't order a new series, but 24 new episodes to mix in with the 85 currently produced (and to support Superman: The Animated Series). In terms of the show's actual production, and how it's sold as a product, it is Batman: The Animated Series. The name The New Batman Adventures is no different than the The New Superman Adventures moniker given to Superman: The Animated Series when that show started its second season. Or when Fox rebranded the show to The Adventures of Batman & Robin. Same show. It's even comparable to the fifth season of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Nickelodeon being called Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It's still the same show. This is backed up and confirmed in both Batman: Animated and the recent Back Issues! #99.

Which means, yes, it will be included in the forthcoming Blu-ray collection.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
It's been a few months, so my memory is hazy, but on the BTAS podcast he mentioned this as well, I think later Randy Rogel expanded (maybe it was someone's else) that one of them had the only copy of the script and WB asked for it to use as a bonus feature, made copies, and returned it to him. It ultimately wasn't used but essentially it followed the point of view of the gun that killed the Wayne's from the material being mined up to it ending up in "jack Napier's" collection.

I'm not sure why Allen is still so adamant it's on the DVDs. I've scoured every disc of my box set and have found zero evidence of it there's (unless it's a hidden Easter egg?). Perhaps someone has a bit of a bad memory

Thanks for that. Seriously thought I missed something. Maybe they'll do something like this for the Blu-Rays.

Also:

This will be a Warner Bros. Home Entertainment release. It is not being handled by Warner Archive.

This shows the money they are putting into this and increases the chances of new special features/UV digital copies.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
The New Batman Adventures is actually Batman: The Animated Series. There's a reason why "Holiday Knights" has a production number of #86 and not #1. When the series was brought over to Kids WB! from Fox Kids, Kids' WB! ordered "new episodes" of Batman: The Animated Series. They didn't order a new series, but 24 new episodes to mix in with the 85 currently produced (and to support Superman: The Animated Series). In terms of the show's actual production, and how it's sold as a product, it is Batman: The Animated Series. The name The New Batman Adventures is no different than the The New Superman Adventures moniker given to Superman: The Animated Series when that show started its second season. Or when Fox rebranded the show to The Adventures of Batman & Robin. Same show. It's even comparable to the fifth season of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Nickelodeon being called Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It's still the same show. This is backed up and confirmed in both Batman: Animated and the recent Back Issues! #99.

Which means, yes, it will be included in the forthcoming Blu-ray collection.

No, it doesn't mean that it will be included because the announcement didn't state TNBA at all. Would you consider Justice League and Justice League Unlimited as the same show or as two shows? It's impossible to say Batman Beyond is the same show as BTAS.

Also, BTAS being retitled as The Adventures of Batman and Robin was due to Robin becoming a more prominent character in later episodes of BTAS. TNBA may be the last season of BTAS but it being a retooled revival of BTAS doesn't help the fact that it was advertised as a new show than as a new season.

About Tales of TMNT, though it is the fifth season, it has a different status quo, givem that the main story concluded in the fourth season.

Last edited:

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
No, it doesn't mean that it will be included because the announcement didn't state TNBA at all.
Because The New Batman Adventures is Batman: The Animated Series and there's no reason to differentiate. As the series was sold into syndication and/or to air on other networks (Cartoon Network, etc., and even on DVD), the The New Batman Adventures episodes are packaged as Batman: The Animated Series (and use the original opening and end credits) episodes. When the show aired on Kids'WB!, the episodes were numbered as #86-109 in content provided to the press (the press kit, episode loglines, etc.). When any network airs Batman: The Animated Series, anywhere around the world, the final 24 episodes are included under that moniker, and properly so. The final 24 episodes were produced as Batman: The Animated Series. It is the same show. Batman: The Animated Series consists of 109 episodes.

Thanks!

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Because The New Batman Adventures is Batman: The Animated Series and there's no reason to differentiate. As the series was sold into syndication and/or to air on other networks (Cartoon Network, etc., and even on DVD), the The New Batman Adventures episodes are packaged as Batman: The Animated Series (and use the original opening and end credits) episodes. When the show aired on Kids'WB!, the episodes were numbered as #86-109 in content provided to the press (the press kit, episode loglines, etc.). When any network airs Batman: The Animated Series, anywhere around the world, the final 24 episodes are included under that moniker, and properly so. The final 24 episodes were produced as Batman: The Animated Series. It is the same show. Batman: The Animated Series consists of 109 episodes.

Thanks!
Okay, I admit that both BTAS and TNBA are the same show but then why was it titled The New Batman Adventures in the first place if it's the same show? Couldn't it have been remained under the same title as it was before Kids' WB revived it?

I'll say this: Would you say Batman Beyond is the same show as BTAS/TNBA and would you consider Justice League and Justice League Unlimited as one show?

Also, do you think that the box set will include Gotham Girls and The Lost Episode, which was cutscenes created specifically for the Sega CD game?

Dallas Kinard

Thanks!

Do we know what episodes used the Batman And Robin theme besides the ones I listed already on the DVD set?

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The different title was done to differentiate the new episodes from the old ones (that’s the simplest explanation). It could’ve and likely should have.

Batman Beyond
is a different production than the previous animated Batman series, so no, but it still clearly takes place in the same universe. While the show continues with the same themes and stories, Justice League is a different series than Justice League Unlimited (the first episode of Justice League Unlimited is listed as episode #1, not episode #53). For this stuff, I lean toward official production details provided by the studios and the creative team. However, since this was an instance where the network wanted a show retooled, and it is essentally the same show top to bottom, just under a different name, there is room for it to go either way.

As for the last question, this Blu-ray release would be a great opportunity to make a truly “complete series” collection of Batman: The Animated Series, so let’s hope so. Details will start rolling out in early/mid 2018.

Do we know what episodes used the Batman And Robin theme besides the ones I listed already on the DVD set?

The information is out there, and is something that could be dug into when my schedule allows.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
While the show continues with the same themes and stories, Justice League is a different series than Justice League Unlimited (the first episode of Justice League Unlimited is listed as episode #1, not episode #53).

The only difference is that Unlimited isn't heavily serialised as its predecessor. Have the production crew confirmed that Justice League and Justice League Unlimited are the same show aside from the latter not being heavily serialised as the former and not listed under the former's numbering order?

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The only difference is that Unlimited isn't heavily serialised as its predecessor. Have the production crew confirmed that Justice League and Justice League Unlimited are the same show aside from the latter not being heavily serialised as the former and not listed under the former's numbering order?
I'm sure such statements can be dug up with a quick search online.

On that note, let's try and move this discussion back on-topic. If interested parties want to keep with the above discussion, feel free to start a new thread. For now, let's turn this back to Batman: the Animated Series' forthcoming Blu-ray release.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I'm sure such statements can be dug up with a quick search online.

On that note, let's try and move this discussion back on-topic. If interested parties want to keep with the above discussion, feel free to start a new thread. For now, let's turn this back to Batman: the Animated Series' forthcoming Blu-ray release.
Yeah, let's move on from this. Anyway, this is good news that the show is getting an official Blu-ray release.

iammattie

I know you guys have seemed to come to agreement on the "is TNBA also BTAS" question, but to add my two cents, I remember hearing on the BTAS podcast that once the show hit its hundredth episode WB took out a two page ad in magazine thanking the crew and all the guest actors who had been on the show. That being said, since original BTAS only hit 85 episodes it would seem that WB counts TNBA as the same show for that 100 to make sense.

On a side note, if anyone happens to know what magazine this was please point me in the right direction, I've been wanting to see this as but can't seem to find it.

Wonderwall

Staff member
Great news, my DVDs are one of my prized treasures since it inspired me to go into animation in the first place. It would be nice to have some new extras but if not, that's fine, I dont mind double dipping after 14 years :p

Jon T

Friendless Spidey
It's very welcome and heartening to see Warner's faith in both Batman: The Animated Series and home video releases of their DC TV productions by actually committing to a high-definition release of this amazing show. Clearly, there's still money to be made by such releases based on the positive feedback the Blu-ray release of Mask of the Phantasm received.

It also serves to further highlight that Marvel/Disney's resolute commitment to streaming-only might have been too hasty a decision when this recent announcement proves there's clearly still a market for comic-based animated series on home video.

I just hope that the film prints Warner use for the Blu-rays contain all the finalised re-takes that made it to air. Infamously, Rhino botched their DVD release of the original Transformers series 15 years ago by using film prints that only contained pre-retake animation, effectively destroying the original versions of many episodes as far as future distribution was concerned. I hope Batman receives the care and attention it truly deserves.

If Warner release other series on Blu-ray, aside from the obvious successors in the form of Superman and Batman Beyond, I'd hope that authentic widescreen versions of Teen Titans and The Batman would follow someday. Maybe they could finally release a complete set of Legion of Super-Heroes, too.

The different title was done to differentiate the new episodes from the old ones (that’s the simplest explanation). It could’ve and likely should have.

Plus, in comments from the production team on the original DVDs and elsewhere, those last 24 episodes are almost exclusively referred to simply as the "revamp" episodes, not a separate series.

Dusty

Superman.
This year has ruled in terms of awesome things coming from WB. First SJ season 5, Wonder Woman, Samurai Jack Blu-Ray release, and so much more... now this... I’m beyond happy. I really hope the next shows to get HD treatment are
The New Batman Adventures (redesigned season)
STAS
Static Shock
Batman Beyond
Justice League Action
The Batman

*off topic shows I want, lol...
Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. (not DC but it deserves it)
Smallville (not WB animation but I really want the first 5 seasons on BD. lol)

If I can just get “new adventures of Batman” (or Batman The Animated Season 4)... I’m in.

Kallum.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Do you guys think it will be the same quality as on TNT Serie in Germany?

I've got the first volume (British version from 2005) and the screen quality is pretty bad. There are VHS recordings with better quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts