DC Comics Animation - Blu-ray/DVD/Digital News & Discussion Thread, Part 19 (Spoilers)

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News

May 15, 2008
Ratings
Well... color me a bit worried... it looks great for the most part but a couple of shots where its supposed to look black, it now looks gray. Especially this one caught me really off guard:

View attachment 197371 Here's the original to compare
View attachment 197381
How do you know this wall is supposed to be black? Those windows didn't come from nowhere and the silhouettes are still black. Looks more like the detail was lost in the old master.

-batmat-

Nov 10, 2010
Ratings
146 1
Argentina
Hum, I don't know, maybe the countless interviews where the creators of the show have said over and over again "this show is dark" "this show is black, is like black on black" etc, etc.

That screenshot I just posted speaks more than I ever could. The red looks blueish and cold, and the details in the builing being visible are distracting. Original color looks much better in my opinion. Quality is amazing, but I don't see why they need to tinker with the color that much.

I'm worried about that Bruce Timm said ages ago about the series losing its intended feel if ever remastered in HD. We'll see when its released. For now I've gone from excited, to worried.

If I had to guess, the 1990s team darkened the original animation or added some kind of filter for a more vintage, silhouetted look.
Well, the restoration team should have respected that!

Bruce Timm: Im gonna add a filter so this looks much better.
Restoration team: Im gonna take it away.

Makes no sense

Feb 8, 2017
Ratings
Well, the restoration team should have respected that!

Bruce Timm: Im gonna add a filter so this looks much better.
Restoration team: Im gonna take it away.

Makes no sense
I'm only guessing, but if they were working with the original filmstock (negatives?) they received from Japan, it wouldn't have the edits Bruce and his American team did in the '90s. That stuff is lost to time, and would need to be digitally replicated.

This new version seems to preserve the integrity of the original elements - the background paintings, the cel animation. In HD, that stuff pops in a way it wouldn't on a tube TV. Mimicking the original presentation was probably not the #1 priority.

I am also guessing that the specific shot you're referencing was originally darkened in the '90s for color matching purposes. The intro may have been done by two separate studios, as far as we know.

To be honest, I look forward to picking out all the differences. If this is a true HD scan of the original animation, the restoration team would have had to jump through a few hoops to make it look consistent. I hope we learn more about what went into it.

the_joker

Mar 23, 2009
Ratings
The blu-ray set will include MOTP and Subzero? It's already looking more worth it for those that don't already own Batman: TAS. I suppose the quality of the restoration will be a concern, but I'd rather see more footage first.

However, I kinda wish the blu-ray set wasn't limited edition.

Feb 8, 2017
Ratings
Here is a comparison video using a sharper source, probably from the DVDs:
Still a marked improvement, though the original has its charm! I really hope the Blu Ray doc covers a bit of what went into this new remaster.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Jul 24, 2007
Ratings
854 4
UK/Ireland
pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com
A little dishonest to use such a poor version of the original footage (some deliberate shudder in there no doubt).

The original has alot of charm, but there's no denying how stunning the remake looks. I didn't think the upscale would look anywhere near that good. BTAS is perfect as an old grainy, VHS style image, but let's hold off judging until we see more footage.

Feb 8, 2017
Ratings
It's a little dishonest, but the big selling point here is the 1080p resolution. It's hard to see the difference in an embedded YouTube video, so I can sort of see why they did it.

Plus, the original broadcast wasn't at all DVD quality, and was probably closer to the blurry version. It's pretty special for a pre-digital animated show to get an HD remaster.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Feb 21, 2003
Ratings
743 6
Arlington, VA
I've used Amazon video streams to run a lot of Batman TAS episodes (I sold off DVDs in anticipation of the Blu-ray set) and I definitely think the video masters used there are pretty much consistent with what's been shown online. I have to think they worked with the original materials, and thank goodness for that. Upscaling the DVD footage would not have been (that) good here

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,258 19
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Why Warner Bros won’t release them in blu-ray? We don’t want to see the cropped version since they produced in widescreen in early 2000s.
Season 1 was released on Blu-Ray back in January by Warner Archive. With Static Shock on DVD done and Sub-Zero on Blu-Ray released, they might release Teen Titans season 2 and maybe 3 on Blu-Ray in 2019.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Ratings
1,257 3
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
If it's a repackage of the previous season DVD's, wouldn't there be 10 DVD's not 7...? Their recent Batman Beyond re-issue had new disc art, but still had the regular 9 discs. Strange.

Personally, I'm ready for WB Archive to start releasing The Batman on Blu-Ray. It's time it got an appraisal 10 years since ending.
To quickly follow-up on Pfeiffer-Plan's post, Warner is also re-releasing the Superman: The Complete Animated Series DVD set on October 2, 2018. And that collection is going from a seven-disc set to a six-disc set.

And, upon further investigation, Warner's recent 2017 re-release of the Justice League: The Complete Series box set is 10 discs. The original release was 14 discs.

Thoughts?

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Ratings
1,257 3
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
The original release probably included JLU. JLU: The Complete Series is now a 3 disc MFV on Warner Archive.
Back cover art for the Justice League: The Complete Series DVD collection re-release states all 91 episodes (Justice League plus Justice League Unlimited) are included on ten-disc set (Discs 1 - 6 for Justice League, 7 - 10 for Justice League Unlimited).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,743 7
Framingham, MA
Back cover art for the Justice League: The Complete Series DVD collection re-release states all 91 episodes (Justice League plus Justice League Unlimited) are included on ten-disc set (Discs 1 - 6 for Justice League, 7 - 10 for Justice League Unlimited).
Weird. They must have compressed them on the various DVD's. Which doesn't make too much sense to me.
That's a Blu-ray set, he's talking about DVDs.
My mistake.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I just had a bizzaro dream that Frank Welker was in my computer lab on campus! o_0
My personal synopsis: I'm not the most energetic or enthusiastic person you'll ever meet, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun. Generally, I'm pretty introverted and usually play video games, watch anime, and also study in the field of IT. I'm a huge music fanatic, as well. And I listen to pretty much everything except country. My favorites being trap, jazz, and metal.
anyone else surprised that new Paw Patrol one hour special are now Nick's #1 most watched premieres in 2018 so far?
I just saw The Grinch in IMAX, it was great!
Iron Man: Armored Adventures is one of the most thrilling cartoons ever made.