DC Comics Animation - Blu-ray/DVD/Digital News & Discussion Thread, Part 19 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Thanks for looking into that for us. I'm kinda miffed the footage isn't being released as these BD sets are aimed at adults, but whatever.
You're welcome. It's too bad. It's only a few seconds. It would have cool if the original were included as a say.... an alternate scene as a hidden easter egg in the menu screen.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Aww that's disappointing, but what's this about Batmite Presents? Didn't know there was an alternate version.
It should have been talked about in the episode thread but yep. The overseas aired version/version of DVD set is different than the USA broadcast version.

Batman's Strangest Cases!
-In the DVD, Batmite reads the title card out aloud

-In the USA Broadcast version, it's a standard title card

-All in all quite interesting, the DVD version is a total of 22 minutes 29 seconds while the USA broadcast clocks at 22 minutes 25 seconds yet they are so different from each other.

-In the DVD
--The MAD section has a scene with a 'realistic' table and MAD magazine that flips through between fights/scenes
--Batboy's slurping at the end is a little longer

-In the USA broadcast version
--The body ties to Batboy's grappel hits the side of the building
--Before Batboy hangs himself up, he tells Rubin to call him if anything comes up

-In the DVD
--In the Batmanga section, when Batman lets Robin drive, there are stills between Batman going in a circle kicking the henchmen. Stills of him kicking henchmen.
--There also might be a few more seconds of the henchmen when they pop up from the fake graves.

-In the DVD
--In the Scooby section, they talk to the ticket booth attendant
--The fight is a little different - stills of Robin and Shaggy punching Penguin and of Batman and Scooby punching Joker instead of stills of a single character punching a villain.

Cortez2301

Honestly, they should make the "Mask of Matches Malone" original, unedited episode available as a bonus feature or otherwise. Its just a witty quip, nothing too outrageous. "Regular Show" (while not necessarily as family show per se) has released the original student shorts on the Blu-ray/DVD, and one of them has drug use and uses of the F-word.

Choppasmith

It should have been talked about in the episode thread but yep. The overseas aired version/version of DVD set is different than the USA broadcast version.

Batman's Strangest Cases!
-In the DVD, Batmite reads the title card out aloud

-In the USA Broadcast version, it's a standard title card

-All in all quite interesting, the DVD version is a total of 22 minutes 29 seconds while the USA broadcast clocks at 22 minutes 25 seconds yet they are so different from each other.

-In the DVD
--The MAD section has a scene with a 'realistic' table and MAD magazine that flips through between fights/scenes
--Batboy's slurping at the end is a little longer

-In the USA broadcast version
--The body ties to Batboy's grappel hits the side of the building
--Before Batboy hangs himself up, he tells Rubin to call him if anything comes up

-In the DVD
--In the Batmanga section, when Batman lets Robin drive, there are stills between Batman going in a circle kicking the henchmen. Stills of him kicking henchmen.
--There also might be a few more seconds of the henchmen when they pop up from the fake graves.

-In the DVD
--In the Scooby section, they talk to the ticket booth attendant
--The fight is a little different - stills of Robin and Shaggy punching Penguin and of Batman and Scooby punching Joker instead of stills of a single character punching a villain.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Honestly, they should make the "Mask of Matches Malone" original, unedited episode available as a bonus feature or otherwise. Its just a witty quip, nothing too outrageous. "Regular Show" (while not necessarily as family show per se) has released the original student shorts on the Blu-ray/DVD, and one of them has drug use and uses of the F-word.
Agreed. But this a Made on Demand product. And with it being a 26 episode set maybe it just couldn't be budgeted? I can't fathom any other reason.

Interesting, thanks for the info.
You're welcome.

Cortez2301

Agreed. But this a Made on Demand product. And with it being a 26 episode set maybe it just couldn't be budgeted? I can't fathom any other reason.
Good Point. I do hope for the day where, not just this show, but Gl: TAS, Young Justice, and the DCAU get ULTIMATE COLLECTORS EDITION Blu-ray boxsets. I honestly don't think I will live to see that day, but then again I have become more cynical thanks to my undergraduate years.

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
Just for curiosity's sake, how does CN's writing off of Beware the Batman effect future blu-ray releases? I ask this because Warner Archive is still releasing the final blu-ray set for the show this Tuesday. Will it be a limited run that has to stop being published quick, or will it be available long-term for purchase?

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Just for curiosity's sake, how does CN's writing off of Beware the Batman effect future blu-ray releases? I ask this because Warner Archive is still releasing the final blu-ray set for the show this Tuesday. Will it be a limited run that has to stop being published quick, or will it be available long-term for purchase?

I believe writing it off only prevents the show from airing on television again. They can still do home releases of written off shows.

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
I believe writing it off only prevents the show from airing on television again. They can still do home releases of written off shows.
I guess that makes sense, but I think it's unprecedented that a written-off series has a home media release after the fact. I want to say others have had a volume or two beforehand or even digital releases of episodes as they come out, but nothing like this before.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Cartoon Network have written the show off... not Warner Bros.

They pumped quite a bit of money into this show and they want to see some kind of income from it. Releasing the show on iTunes/Amazon and DVD/Blu-Ray ensures plenty of avenues for fans to buy it and maybe even a few new ones.

This isn't The Zeta Project or Legion of Superheroes. It's BATMAN... and typically, he does very well on the home video market.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
At LBCC, WAC announced there will be a Young Justice: Invasion Blu-Ray and it will have special features. But I'm sure some will gripe about the menu screen.
https://twitter.com/WarnerArchive/status/515970346277560320

Thinking of the possible release date... Hmm, considering Season 1's Blu-Ray was announced July 21 and it came out in August 12, maybe the Invasion Blu will come out in October 14 or 21.

mrbean1500

So glad a Warner Archive release is getting special features at last/

So after this, the last of the modern DC toons is Brave and the Bold s3. Anyone have any guesses as to what's coming up next? I hope it's JLU (with the special features from the DVDs)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Holy smokes, two commentaries and a featurette?! Love it.

There's still Legion of Superheroes after a likely The Brave and the Bold season 3 release.

the greenman

So glad a Warner Archive release is getting special features at last/

So after this, the last of the modern DC toons is Brave and the Bold s3. Anyone have any guesses as to what's coming up next? I hope it's JLU (with the special features from the DVDs)

They've done special features before for WAC dvd's. As for next, I wouldn't mind Superman and Static Shock to cross promote the new content they got coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts