DC Comics Animation - Blu-ray/DVD/Digital News & Discussion Thread, Part 19 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I'll say (as an observation, not a complaint) is that the cover to Zeta Season 2 is comedically bad. Like, season 1 has some shading, a background, the works. Season 2 looks like a simple screenshot. Gave me a chuckle. :rolleyes:

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Warner Archive is already planning a DVD release for Static Shock: The Complete Second Season, though a date has not yet been chosen. Stay tuned for further updates. Static Shock: The Complete First Season will be available to order starting March 28.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
To continue Yojimbo's post, below are links to the menus and/or package artwork for this month's Warner Archive releases and an early synopsis for Static Shock: The Complete Second Season.

t-backcover.jpg
t-dvdbackcover.jpg
t-backdvdcover.jpg
t-wabackcover.jpg

And the synopsis:

Static Shock's second season comes super-charged with new, more dangerous metahuman menaces, an array of special guest stars, and more of its unique mix of high adventure and social drama. The stakes go high as Static gets drafted into “The Big Leagues” when the dynamic duo – Batman and Robin - travel to Dakota in search of The Joker (Mark Hamill). “Uncle J” to the meta-humans, The Joker is wreaking his own special brand of “hilarious” havoc on the citizens of Dakota, giving Static (Phil LaMarr) the opportunity of a lifetime…to team up with his favorite superhero – the Dark Knight. Other superstar surprises this season include stints in Dakota from none other than hoop hall-of-famer Shaquille O'Neal (Steel), who just happens to be tight with Static's Pops and The Backstreet Boys' A.J. McLean, who lends some music career advice to Rubberband Man. Things take a turn to the serious in the special episode entitled "Jimmy," looking at the issue of gun violence in school.

Dallas Kinard

YES! This is awesome! Hopefully seasons 3 and 4 are right around the corner!

Edit: At this rate, my prediction is Season 3 gets a late July release and Season 4 gets a late September release. Here's hoping!

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
4/27: I just realized that runtime implies the season 2 set will be 13 episodes - the 11 in the initial airing and the 2 that were mixed in with the season 3 run (um..the "Consequences" and "Trouble Squared").

5/1: The Amazon pre-order page is live for Static Shock season 2.

Duplica

Is there any chance that Warner or Warner Archive will re-release Superman The Complete Animated Series in a proper 9 disc DVD set with regular DVDs?

The 3 double-sided DVDs that the current releases use are awful. I bought the complete collection release recently and one of the double-sided DVDs was defective and wouldn't play some of the episodes. I exchanged that set for another copy and that also had a defective double-sided DVD, so I just returned it and got my money back.

I saw that Australia got a proper 9 disc DVD set that was re-released there on Nov. 9, 2016. I'd import that but it is Region 4 and PAL which I can't play.

The 3 double-sided DVDs that the current releases use are awful. I bought the complete collection release recently and one of the double-sided DVDs was defective and wouldn't play some of the episodes. I exchanged that set for another copy and that also had a defective double-sided DVD, so I just returned it and got my money back.
No kidding?? I had a defective one too! Just one episode, it skipped a bunch, and it was a brand new DVD. And they're really hard to keep in any sort of decent condition. Also...in one of my Animaniacs sets there is a defective DVD as well, and it's not even double sided. C'mon, now, Warner.:wakko:

farmer44

double-sided DVDs are notoriously bad. the early seasons of murder she wrote are another source. I can't tell you the number of times I wanted to be able to contact some "DVD" association person and tell them to drop official spec support for double-sided DVDs (DC-related or not).

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Coming next month on Blu-ray from Warner Archive ... Batman: Mask of the Phantasm! Official release date forthcoming!

t-motpblucover.jpg

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
I was just talking about this today!

But why why WHY do they have to do it through WAC? Do a proper release, put it in stores, and it will probably make tons of cash!

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
We're one year off from the 25th anniversary, but frankly this release was way overdue and it's well timed as a commemoration of Alan Burnett's retirement. Any HD release is well worth celebrating, this is the crown jewel of the 1990s DCAU.

Seems like the release date is indeed not confirmed yet, but we shouldn't have long to wait to find out. My bet is right on time for Comic Con.

BatKid

The True Batman
I was just talking about this today!

But why why WHY do they have to do it through WAC? Do a proper release, put it in stores, and it will probably make tons of cash!
Long shot, but maybe they're gauging interest for the full release of the animated series?

Though I do recall reading it was impossible for it to get an HD release.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Impossible? That's something I don't remember. What'd stop them from at least doing an upscale for Batman TAS?

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
Info from the facebook page:

BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM(1993) (BD)
NEW 2017 1080p HD REMASTER
Presented in both the original theatrical 16x9 aspect ratio (1.78:1) AND open matte 4x3 (1.37:1) aspect ratio
Run Time 76:00
Subtitles English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 Stereo - English
COLOR
BD 50
Theatrical Trailer (HD)

So both aspect ratios will be on the disc, for those that have a preference. Which way did the production crew prefer the film? I always just watched it widescreen so it would fill the TV...

Kirben

Impossible? That's something I don't remember. What'd stop them from at least doing an upscale for Batman TAS?
An upscale of Batman: TAS would look bad unless the video was restored, which would be very costly. There are still many DC animated series produced in HD which would be cheaper to release, but Warner Archive are barely releasing any DC animation on Blu-ray each year.

It has taken over two years just to get Mask of the Phantasm on Blu-ray, after the first rumors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's a video from both The Watch Tower Database and Kuro The Artist about Dwayne McDuffie.

We are in the Endgame now...

And the winner of the competition is Pizza Pilot, which got 3 votes. Harpy Gee got 2 votes, and Missing The Mark got nothing. And that's the end of the competition. Thanks for participating. The article is next week.
Before streaming services like Netflix dominating the family entertainment industry, we had family networks on cable television. Quite honestly, I'm very fascinated by their history and their programming on how much they evolved over the years.

But here's what I'm wondering: why do they failed?
Clearly, People seemed to forget that the late Chrtistine Cavanaugh who originally voiced Chuckie Finster on Rugrats, retired from Voice Acting in like 2001, and Nancy Cartwright took over the role since then.

Featured Posts