DC Cartoons, And How Show-Specific Elements Usually Don't Make It Into Comics

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So, let's talk about Batman: The Animated Series. It's obviously well praised, and for a variety of reasons . One of those reasons is with characters like Harley Quinn, who were created specifically for the series. She eventually proved popular enough to get into regular DC Comics. However, as far as I can tell, this is the only time where something specific to a DC cartoon has made it into mainstream comics. No other DC series afterward, to my knowledge, has had an element created for that series make it into DC Comics. Take for Alexis Luthor from Legion Of Superheroes. She has a relation to Lex Luthor, being a descendant. However, as far as I can tell, she has never appeared in anything after this series. There's also the 2019 DC Superhero Girls, where it's revealed that Jessica Cruz has two mothers. Now, the show is still going on, but to my knowledge, I have not heard anything about Jessica's family life in comics, and I'm not sure if there's enough of an influence here to put this in regular DC Comics. How about some of the villains introduced in Teen Titans, like Mother Mae Eye or Control Freak? Outside of anything related to the show like tie in comics or something like Teen Titans Go, they have not , to my knowledge, appeared in anything else.

And so I turn to you. Why is it rare for elements introduced in DC cartoons to make it into mainstream comics?

Otaku-sempai

So, let's talk about Batman: The Animated Series. It's obviously well praised, and for a variety of reasons . One of those reasons is with characters like Harley Quinn, who were created specifically for the series. She eventually proved popular enough to get into regular DC Comics. However, as far as I can tell, this is the only time where something specific to a DC cartoon has made it into mainstream comics. No other DC series afterward, to my knowledge, has had an element created for that series make it into DC Comics. Take for Alexis Luthor from Legion Of Superheroes. She has a relation to Lex Luthor, being a descendant. However, as far as I can tell, she has never appeared in anything after this series. There's also the 2019 DC Superhero Girls, where it's revealed that Jessica Cruz has two mothers. Now, the show is still going on, but to my knowledge, I have not heard anything about Jessica's family life in comics, and I'm not sure if there's enough of an influence here to put this in regular DC Comics. How about some of the villains introduced in Teen Titans, like Mother Mae Eye or Control Freak? Outside of anything related to the show like tie in comics or something like Teen Titans Go, they have not , to my knowledge, appeared in anything else.

And so I turn to you. Why is it rare for elements introduced in DC cartoons to make it into mainstream comics?
It's not all that rare, especially if we broaden the question to include radio and live-action television and movies. We've seen other characters created for animation show up in DC's mainstream comics: Renee Montoya, Livewire, Mercy Graves. Then there is the newer, more tragic origin for Mr. Freeze. Other elements of comic-book canon have originated outside of the comics: Barabara Gordon's Batgirl, Kryptonite, Superman's ability of flight, supporting characters such as Jimmy Olsen, relocating Smallville to the American mid-west (specifically Kansas), etc.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Even more modern DC cartoons have had characters or elements going to the comics. Kaldur'ahm/Aqualad was created for Young Justice, though with a very different backstory and secret identity. Both Aya and the Interceptor from Green Lantern: The Animated Series have made cameos. Magpie's current design from the comics is taken straight out of Beware the Batman. Not really "modern", but Scorn from The Batman also made it to the comics.

There's also elements that don't make it to the comics, but show up in other comic media. Music Meister from Batman: The Brave and the Bold is a big one, as he's not in any mainstream comics, but has made it to a couple of the Lego games as a playable character and was the main villain in a CW crossover.

Frontier

Staff member

I think Control Freak recently appeared in a Teen Titan comic, actually.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I only brought up Harley Quinn as an example. Let me clear things up. It seems only elements introduced in/refined by Batman The Animated Series are what make it into mainstream comics.

hobbyfan

So, let's talk about Batman: The Animated Series. It's obviously well praised, and for a variety of reasons . One of those reasons is with characters like Harley Quinn, who were created specifically for the series. She eventually proved popular enough to get into regular DC Comics. However, as far as I can tell, this is the only time where something specific to a DC cartoon has made it into mainstream comics.

Harley wasn't the only one to be moved into regular DC books. You can add Renee Montoya to that list. She was moved into the DCU a few years after Harley.

Palin Dromos

The Abyss Stares Back
Both Aya and the Interceptor from Green Lantern: The Animated Series have made cameos.

Aya showing up in the finale arc of the Smallville Season 11 comic was one of my favorite instances of multiple things I love from outside comics colliding inside comics.

Also the the "Batman: White Knight" series draws heavily from the BTAS styled character histories and continuity. Sean Murphy's love of BTAS practically spills off the page if you're paying attention.

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
According to this site: "Paul Dini wanted to add a little diversity to the Batman cast of characters, and Montoya was one of these new additions. So while the cartoon was in development, the Batman comic book staff caught wind of the new character and were intrigued. They then requested from the Animated Series if they could use Montoya in the comics. As the lead time for a comic book is much shorter than an animated show, the comic Montoya ended up making her debut several months before her inspiration did!"

#TeamMike

Reading the backstory in the bible for her is kind of crazy, because none of that made it into the show. It is a tad disappointing B:TAS never did anything with Montoya other than essentially being a background character, aside from the episode P.O.V.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts