DBZ - Garlic Jr Saga - Talkback (Spoilers)

Achika

DBZ Garlic Jr Saga - Talkback?

Well since WS has went through the trouble of giving such an awful saga a flashy new intro and stuff we may as well have a talkback for it as if it were a new show?

Addition from William C. Maune:

As it has been requested, this shall be the official talkback thread for Dragonball Z' Garlic Jr. Saga which airs today and the next two Fridays in October. This saga bridges the gap between the Frieza and Cell sagas as the Z Fighters deal with a new threat during Goku's absence. Today's (Friday October 18th) episdoes encompass the first third of the saga.

Spoilers: If the episode has already aired during this Toonami run you do not need to worry about using spoiler tags. If you would like to comment on episodes that have not yet aired on this time around on Toonami you will need to use spoiler tags due to the number of people who may not have seen the saga since it hasn't aired in well over a year. Thank you!​

AinaMacil

White Dingo
I hated these episodes when i watched them the first time... I still hate them. The fact that DBZ's taking over the block anyway as of monday doesn't exactly change my mind about them, either.

gtracer72

All hail Starscream!!
Come to think of it, I have only seen the first episode of this series. I guess I'll watch it. Although, I would rather watch Zoids.

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
Although I would also rather watch Zoids, I must say I have always been one of the few people who actually liked this saga. I've always wondered why people are so against it as it doesn't seem to have a lot of the problems many complain about reagarding DBZ. It isn't drawn out, in fact the storyline flows well and everything is resolved in a timely manner. Furthermore, it isn't focused on the Saiyans, the "B" cast gets a lot more of the action. Thus, I propose the question, I realize most people don't like this saga, but what exactly don't you like about it?​

Achika

Originally posted by William C. Maune
Although I would also rather watch Zoids, I must say I have always been one of the few people who actually liked this saga. I've always wondered why people are so against it as it doesn't seem to have a lot of the problems many complain about reagarding DBZ. It isn't drawn out, in fact the storyline flows well and everything is resolved in a timely manner. Furthermore, it isn't focused on the Saiyans, the "B" cast gets a lot more of the action. Thus, I propose the question, I realize most people don't like this saga, but what exactly don't you like about it?

Well I for one do think it was drawn out just a little. All of that filler(yes filler can exist within filler) with Marron and that cat and Yajirobe was annoying, also all of the Kami and Popo antics inside the grave of the old Kami's was definetely drawn out. Plus what B characters got to fight? Krillin was whipped up on as usual..these episodes really could have used Tien and Yamcha.

I must say though that this sagas premise is rather good. But the problems I've mention as well as boring fight scenes and the err.."spice boys" ruined what could have been a good saga.

"Mr. Popo does not lie!" LOL. Hope they use that as a bumper clip.

Feel free to add a poll by the way.

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
Unfortunately I can't add a poll when a thread has already been created. I might be able to later with some cutting and pasting, but I'll have to wait until I get out of class to figure that out (I can't completely ignore my law school lecture, heh)​

ohmrbill

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
_____Although I would also rather watch Zoids, I must say I have always been one of the few people who actually liked this saga. I've always wondered why people are so against it as it doesn't seem to have a lot of the problems many complain about reagarding DBZ. It isn't drawn out, in fact the storyline flows well and everything is resolved in a timely manner. Furthermore, it isn't focused on the Saiyans, the "B" cast gets a lot more of the action. Thus, I propose the question, I realize most people don't like this saga, but what exactly don't you like about it?

Because, like most of the filler episodes in the show, it just perforates the show with even more plot holes than it already has. It forces a movie villain into the series who shouldn't exist, and CAN'T exist in the storyline if it's going to make any sense at all. Not to mention bringing another "character" (Gohan's dragon) who shouldn’t can can't be there. Another thing is that the "power levels" are all screwed up here. They just got back from Namek fighting Freeza, and they should be tremendously powerful (especially Piccolo). And yet Piccolo has trouble fighting the possessed Yamcha of all characters. Furthermore, they have trouble overpowering one weak villain that was supposedly defeated long before Raditz ever even showed up. I know they explained something about the star getting closer, but still, that's a huge just in power.

I guess it was just really annoying that they stretched out a fight with a villain that should have been nothing into 10 dull episodes. Kind of like if they made a whole saga out of that purple guy Vegeta trashed when he first got to Namek.

gtracer72

All hail Starscream!!
Well, it was starting to get good, until Crap-Man started. I did like the fact that everyone didn't have to depend on Goku for once. Maron is a complete idiot. Can someone tell me how it ended. I'm sure they get the water and everything, but how?

T

TrigaFamist

Not to mention bringing another "character" (Gohan's dragon) who shouldn’t can can't be there.

Ikaris, Gohans Dragon, does in fact show up at other times in the series, including the Cell Saga. He is also referred to at the beginning of the Buu Saga.

Achika

Hey this filler does conflict with later filler.

Today ChiChi can fly a plane.

In the android saga she makes Goku get a drivers license because she's can't drive and has to walk everywhere.

:confused:

ohmrbill

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Originally posted by TrigaFamist
Ikaris, Gohans Dragon, does in fact show up at other times in the series, including the Cell Saga. He is also referred to at the beginning of the Buu Saga.

Which were all filler scenes and/or episodes (if you can't tell by now, I absolutely despise the DBZ filler :p). He doesn't exist in the manga, and since he's introduced in the third movie, he can't and shouldn't exist in the anime, either.

Charred Knight

_____Although I would also rather watch Zoids, I must say I have always been one of the few people who actually liked this saga. I've always wondered why people are so against it as it doesn't seem to have a lot of the problems many complain about reagarding DBZ. It isn't drawn out, in fact the storyline flows well and everything is resolved in a timely manner. Furthermore, it isn't focused on the Saiyans, the "B" cast gets a lot more of the action. Thus, I propose the question, I realize most people don't like this saga, but what exactly don't you like about it?

Plot holes, filler in filler, a crappy villian, crappy henchman, and horrible writing.

Since they were throwing continuity out the window they should have just had Bulma crunch peanuts with her eyes and slurped spaghetti with her nose.

Mynd Hed

Holy blue on a popo!
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I LIKE this saga. I think the Spice Boys' name is hilarious, ditto the Kame / Popo scenes. I like that it focusses more on Piccolo, one of my favorite characters, as well as Gohan and Krillin instead of Super Saiyan Mania like the show turns into later. I also like that it's one of the shortest sagas.

As for Piccolo having trouble with Yamcha, maybe he didn't power up all the way because he didn't want to hurt him too badly. Just a thought.

This saga has plot holes all over it, of course, but so does all of DBZ so I don't mind too much.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Originally posted by TrigaFamist

Well, Ikaris original name was Haiya Dragon in the uncut English and Japanese version of DBZ movie 3. I don't know why Saban/FUNi changed it.

Ajax

When I first got into the series I never knew this saga existed. Its was never mentioned when ever I would read those DBZ albums back then. This saga was alright. Not the best from DBZ but oh well.

RomanticOtaku

The Romantic Otaku
Hey uh....anyone here notice that edit on Maron's swim wear. I was uh...."SCANNING" the screen and I noticed the floating edit in her swimwear........so.....what was her suit like BEFORE?

J.C.

Citizen of Cobra-La
Originally posted by Mynd Hed
As for Piccolo having trouble with Yamcha, maybe he didn't power up all the way because he didn't want to hurt him too badly. Just a thought.

That's what I guessed, not to mention that this is Yamcha right after having trained with King Kai and helping Tien and Chaozu beat four members of the Ginyu Force on their own during the Frieza Saga. He doesn't get to show it during the Android/Cell Saga, but he's a lot stronger then what we saw at the begining of the series.

This is actually the first time I've seen these episodes since I skpped it due to it being a filler saga, and I'm mostly liking what I've seen so far. It does seem weird to be watching a DBZ saga where we're not expecting Goku or some other super saiyan level (fill in the blank) to rush in and save everyone. My only big complaint so far is how Gohan seemed to forget he could fly while facing off against Chi Chi. He could of just flown up to avoid her 'till he knew what was going on. Don't like it when a character seems to loose his abilities just because it adds to the drama.

Nik Jam

Playing the Angel
Originally posted by RomanticOtaku
Hey uh....anyone here notice that edit on Maron's swim wear. I was uh...."SCANNING" the screen and I noticed the floating edit in her swimwear........so.....what was her suit like BEFORE?

Yes, the original showed tons of cleavage. They also cut a front view of Marron before she walked into the pool at the beggining, as well as Master Roshi "accidentally" groping her.

GreenLegend Ran

Jedi Master
I have few problems with this series. As a matter of fact its probly 1 of my favorites. Its not to long, no super saiyans saving the day, and good fighting/storyline throughout it, not to mention 2of my fav characters (piccolo & krillin) get the spotlight for once. I even like little gohan.

The only real problem i can think of is marron, shes so annoying. Yes it might have filler and plot holes but all of dbz does.

oranthal

Superman: A hero in life and in death
so on fridays, will they continue to show 3 episodes of the garlic jr. saga?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts