"Daredevil" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

DaredevilLogo.jpg
Series Talkback
Friday, April 10, 2015 @ 12 a.m. on Netflix
"Marvel's Daredevil" is a live action series that follows the journey of attorney Matt Murdock, who in a tragic accident was blinded as a boy but imbued with extraordinary senses. Murdock sets up practice in his old neighborhood of Hell's Kitchen, New York where he now fights against injustice as a respected lawyer by day and masked vigilante at night.

Steven DeKnight: Executive Producer
Starring: Charlie Cox, Deborah Ann Woll, Elden Henson, Rosario Dawson, Vincent D'Onofrio, Ayelet Zurer, and Bob Gunton
Filming: July to December 2014 in New York
Release Date: April 10, 2015
Social Media: Twitter,
Sources: Marvel 12/6/13, HitFlix 3/25/14, BC 5/24/14, THR 5/24/14, Marvel 6/10/14, BC 6/21/14, CBM 7/21/14, BAM 7/27/14, SC 8/20/14, CBM 9/12/14, CB 9/20/14, CBM 10/21/14, CBM 10/31/14, CBM 11/26/14, CBM 12/9/14, EW 12/19/14, Newsarama 12/23/14, CBM 12/29/14, CBM 1/8/15, MCUEx 3/2/15, CBM 2/18/15, CBM 3/3/15, Splash 3/6/15, CBM 3/8/15, CBR 3/11/15, CBM 3/17/15, Collider 3/29/15, CBM 3/31/15, Reddit 4/4/15, IGN 4/9/15, THR 4/25/15, Variety 4/28/15, CBR 5/8/15,
Casting: Vulture 4/7/14, Marvel 5/27/14, IGN 6/10/14, Marvel 6/20/14, CBR 6/23/14, Marvel 6/26/14, Backstage 7/8/14, Deadline 7/16/14, THR 7/17/14, Marvel 8/1/14, Marvel 9/15/14, USA 3/2/15
Filming: HitFix 3/25/14, CBM 7/8/14, CBM 7/17/14, CBM 10/25/14, DeKnight 11/27/14, DeKnight 12/21/14
Images: CBM 8/16/14, CBM 8/16/14, CBM 8/26/14, #1, #2, Marvel 10/11/14, CBM 12/18/14, Motion Poster 1/7/15, DeKnight 2/20/15, Motion poster 2/26/15, CBM 2/26/15, CBR 3/6/15, Netflix 3/11/15, Motion poster 3/19/15, CBR 3/25/15, CBR 3/25/15, Netflix 4/9/15, IGN 4/17/15
Panel: Marvel 10/3/14, NYCC 14, Newsarama 10/11/14
Trailers: #1, #2, #3 and 4
Book: "Marvel's Daredevil: Defender of Hell's Kitchen - Season One" 9/2/15

This episode is for members to speak about all 13 episodes or the majority of them at once. If you want to only talk about an episode in particular and not be spoiled on the rest of the season:
#1.01: "Into The Ring"
#1.02: "Cut Man"
#1.03: "Rabbit in a Snow Storm"
#1.04: "In the Blood"
#1.05: "World on Fire"
#1.06: "Condemned"
#1.07: "Stick"
#1.08: "Shadows in the Glass"
#1.09: "Speak of the Devil"
#1.10: "Nelson v Murdock"
#1.11: "The Path of the Righteous"
#1.12: "The Ones We Leave Behind"
#1.13: "Daredevil"

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It felt a little more visceral than I would have expected, even after considering the MA rating. For my tastes, it seemed a little visually gratuitous at times though it definitely sells how grim this side of the MCU is. With this choreography, it felt like I was finally seeing DD in action just the way I always thought he would be. Even a scene like the rooftop parkour chase had me thrilled to see Matt in action. I loved the casting of the show and found myself really liking the characters' portrayal here. Even a guy like Wesley was able to draw me in with his strange sense of loyalty and friendship towards Fisk. I am mixed on Kingpin himself though. All in all, it's not the Daredevil I really expected but I enjoyed the series just as much as I probably would have if it were the DD I always wanted.

I can imagine that some people might complain about the darkly lit scenes but I really liked how the show was shot. The look and feel of the ABC shows can throw me off a lot of the time while this show had a look that I appreciated a lot more. It probably helps that it actually felt like New York, too, and not as though everything was shot on sets. I didn't have too many problems with the suit we eventually see towards the end. I wish it came into play earlier, that the black was replaced with darker shades of red and that the helmet looked good but it definitely felt as though I was seeing Daredevil on my screen.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
I'm up to Episode four so far. What an amazing series. First let me say this thing is dark, very, very, very dark. Closer to The Crow than The Dark Knight. Actually, The Crow is a good comparison for this. Both deal with the morality of their protagonist, and deal with whether or not what he is doing is right. The visuals are similar, although The Crow's color palette was much darker, with a lot more black on the frame. This is full of dark, dull colors that contribute great mood and a gothic quality. I can't say enough about the visuals. I also can't say enough about the main cast. All three nail their roles. They are so likeable, so realistic, so dramatic, and yet all three provide a decent amount of humour. Their chemistry is magnificent, we're talking Mulder and Scully levels of chemistry. I don't know how they do it, but Marvel is perfect at casting. The writing hit a few bumps in the road for me, especially in the pre-credit scene. I mean, does Matt rave about his father to everyone he meets like he did to the priest? But those are nitpicks. I will say this episode gets very engaging, especially towards the end. It was late when I started and I only planned on watching one episode, but the ending of this one demanded I keep going. I also want to to say the build up to the Kingpin is excellent. There is a strict ban on saying his name, it isn't until the third episode before someone says "Wilson Fisk." I love that, the slow burn is working great. I have to say guys, this may be Marvel's masterpiece. I more than forgive them for Agents of SHIELD for this, in fact I'll even go back to watching that show if it means AKA Jessica Jones is going to be this good. Watch it, this is awesome.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Wow the later seasons of Crash and Berstien got dark.

RoryWilliams

I loved it. It was absolutely nothing like anything else in the MCU, but at the same time there's references and story logic that actually work beautifully and make it clear it's part of a shared universe.

And holy crap, the casting is just perfect. Everyone does a really good job but the actors playing Foggy, Urich, and of course Fisk, were all huge standouts to me.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Ep 3-7 and 8 to a lesser extent have been the highlights for me with 3-6 being a fairly consistent action crime drama.
After the 6th ep, the tension just seemed to drop
wherein every merciless pivotal moment going forward seemed more complacent on shock value interspersed amongst cute and contrived moments.
I didn't care as much for the drama that transpired before or after those episodes because they felt like they came from a different show.
The other ep just seemed so belonging on network tv than on a platform that lends greater creativity.
It's a good show that's great for a certain period.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Utterly fantastic. This had me in from the opening scene right up until the final moments of episode 13.

It didn't feel like a cheap TV show, nor did it rely on name alone to get by. It was beautifully written throughout and was a fantastic translation of Daredevil and his world... ever important detail was in there, his blindness, his lonliness, his relationship with his Father, Fisk, the underworld and eventually his costume. His utterly glorious costume. You can tell this was done by people who utterly love Daredevil just from the opening credits alone, this wasn't a boring Agents of SHIELD fiasco.

While it's not saying much that it's without question Marvel's best live action show, it says a lot that it's every bit as good as it's big screen cousins.

Season two very soon please.

purplehairedwonder

No woman should suffer at the hands of men
Staff member
This series was fantastic. Episode 10, "Nelson vs. Murdock," was probably the strongest episode for me, with the focus on Matt and Foggy's relationship. Nelson and Murdock, avocados at law! There's a moment when Foggy is berating Matt while Matt lays on the sofa and Matt sheds a tear while trying to explain himself... killed me.

Fisk was such a nuanced, fascinating villain. D'Onofrio's portrayal was really incredible. Fisk's backstory, his friendship with Wesley, and his developing relationship with Vanessa made him uncomfortably human.

I can't wait for the next season.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
This series was fantastic. Episode 10, "Nelson vs. Murdock," was probably the strongest episode for me, with the focus on Matt and Foggy's relationship. Nelson and Murdock, avocados at law! There's a moment when Foggy is berating Matt while Matt lays on the sofa and Matt sheds a tear while trying to explain himself... killed me.

Not to mention a reference to a certain Greek girl once dated. ;)

Fisk was such a nuanced, fascinating villain. D'Onofrio's portrayal was really incredible. Fisk's backstory, his friendship with Wesley, and his developing relationship with Vanessa made him uncomfortably human.

I can't wait for the next season.

I hope this marks the beginning for actual, strong villains in the MCU. Other than Loki, the villains in that universe have been pretty weak until now.

Tohya

deficit omne quod nasciture
I hope this marks the beginning for actual, strong villains in the MCU. Other than Loki, the villains in that universe have been pretty weak until now.
You know...TV Marvel has actually had really great villains so far. As much crap as people like to give Agents of Shield, Bill Paxtons Agent Garret was an awesome villain. And Kyle MacLachlans portrayal of Cal is easily on equal footing of D'Onofrio's Kingpin . And Brett Daltons Agent Ward has found his niche playing the deliciously psyhocitic Agent Ward. So while the villains in the stand alone movies are weak...the TV villians have actually been exceptionally strong.

the greenman

Finished the series on Friday, but I wrote down notes on it. As a whole the series exceeded my expectations. Cox as Matt really sold me, sometimes I can literally see the original Everett comic version of DD from him. Overall, this series had me comparing it to Arrow too much, however we know it went places Arrow couldn't.

The development of characters are much stronger in this series, so DD has the advantage of learning from their mistakes. They really made Fisk a complete and natural supervillian, one I can imagine dealing with supernatural scifi stuff in the future.

The ending was kinda surprising which I enjoy, but then we've seen death before. Unfortunately, they use it too much.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Well, I finished, and wow...what a great show. Totlly exceeded my expectations.

Kudos to all the actors, especially Cox and D'Onofrio. Totally sold me, and I wouldnt mind seeing them on the big screen one day.

I felt bad for a certain character in the final two episodes, but I guess no one is safe in this show. :(

Minor thing, but also dig the theme song, especially the heartbeats at the end.

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but this was impressive. I felt Matt came off as genuinely hopeful/optimistic despite his reasons to become Daredevil, and what his city is becoming. In the back of my mind I thought they would just make this Batman. Thankfully it's not. For a character that I would consider "dark", I'm glad Daredevil/Matt himself remains "light" despite everything else around him is currently "dark".

If any of those rumors for a Punisher Netflix show are true. I'm all in. Looking at some of the Marvel Netflix shows coming out, and rumored to come out. I wonder if they are just doing characters/series' from the Marvel Knights imprint. Maybe make all the films and network TV "Marvel", and all Netflix shows "Marvel Knights".

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts