Current/Recently Cancelled/Upcoming Nicktoons

rockorockorocko

Figured it would be good to figure out what's the happenings with Nick.

CURRENT:
  1. Spongebob Squarepents is obviously gonna continue.
  2. The Fairly Oddparents has at least one more season being developed for next year, although some believe both could end in 2013.
  3. T.U.F.F. Puppy has been stopped midseason, with one more in development. Ratings have dropped mightily. Might not make it past a third season.
  4. Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness has a bunch of episodes of season 2 yet to premier, with another season ordered. Considered to be one of Nick's upper-tier cartoons.
  5. Legends of Korra will have at least three more "books" (seasons) beginning in 2013.
  6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles seems to be a hit, with another 26-episode season in development.
  7. Robot and Monster has had fairly solid ratings, rumors originally indicated Nick decided to not pick up RM for another season even before the show premiered. However, a 14 episode second season is in development - if not already done.
  8. Does Winx Club count? I'm sure this will be around for at least another season. Not the best ratings, but it's a real popular show with its demos.

RECENTLY CANCELLED:

1. Fanboy and Chum Chum finished premiering its last dozen episodes in October on Nick. None was part of Gotta See Saturdays. Planet Sheen has yet to finish airing its new episodes on Nicktoons. Although no official word, safe to say both will not be renewed.
  2. The Penguins of Madagascar is finishing its final season by the end of the year.

UPCOMING:

1. Monsters vs. Aliens (another Dreamworks' movie adaptation) and Raving Rabbids (of the popular video game) are both scheduled to premier in the Spring of 2013.

Lots of talks about other shows. I've read a bit about Bad Seeds and Sanjay and Craig. Are these two officially picked up or are the pilots still being developed? Anything else in the horizon?

Last edited by a moderator:

Toonatic

Sometimes I worry TUFF Puppy will end up on death row. The network executives need to get thier act together and return to air new eps of TUFF Puppy on Saturdays with repeats everyday (or at the very least Tuesdays and Thursdays).

rockorockorocko

Sometimes I worry TUFF Puppy will end up on death row. The network executives need to get thier act together and return to air new eps of TUFF Puppy on Saturdays with repeats everyday (or at the very least Tuesdays and Thursdays).

Yep. But unfortunately, it's in the doghouse, no pun intended. Nick gave it a chance in its Saturday morning block but it bombed so they swapped it with Penguins, which debuted with pretty high ratings - solidifying T.U.F.F. Puppy's fate. Nick finally has given some attention to KFP, but it doesn't seem like Penguins, much less T.U.F.F. Puppy will receive much support - at least not yet. I think Nick is trying to rebuild its cartoon programming one at a time, and TP is last on the priority list and KFP obviously has more franchise recognition. Penguins will probably get a shot as well before TP.

Never was a big fan of the show, but it reminds me of CN's cartoons back in the day. Dexter's Lab, PPG and Johnny Bravo kind of feel. Not sure if that resonates with their targeted demo nowadays.

GPRailroad8794

There seems to be a trend of having only 2 original series on all 3 channels. Nick has Spongebob and FOP, CN has Regular Show and Adventure Time (there's Gumball and a few others but these 2 are their top hits), and Disney has Gravity Falls and Phineas & Ferb.

All 3 need a fresher line up, but Nick needs it the most with 2 shows over a decade old headlining their channel.

I hope Sanjay and Craig delivers when it premieres, it sounds interesting but we'll see if the head at Nick's stupidity doesn't cause them to push it aside for more Spongebob (that is assuming it is good).

Lord Beckett

Cute and Mean

After seeing that hyped-up yet dead on arrival Halloween special, I've come to terms with the fact that TUFF Puppy is not going to get any better, either in the ratings or the writing of the show itself. Even if you want to speculate that the ratings drop might encourage Hartman to get his act together, he learns and moves at such a glacial speed that its already too late to save the third season.

Its really Nickelodeon's fault for putting so much trust in Hartman, and guaranteeing so many seasons when the show was still unproven. If any good does come of this, it will serve as a harsh lesson for Hartman in the future for when he finishes FOP or works on those other pilots he was given that we've heard nothing about. Then again, Hartman has been on the hotseat plenty of times before and hasn't learned anything yet.

ferrisjso

Just to clarify.RaM is NOT CANNED.Around the time the show premiered the creator said that the show had not been cancelled and reports that it had been before it had premiered were RUMORS.Now that's not to say the show won't be canned now while i personally believe will get a second season but that's probably it.Also Penguins has not been renewed it is simply airing it's final episodes which will wrap up by the end of they year.

Dynamite Soldier

Actually, Robot and Monster wasn't really cancelled at all. Dave Pressler confirmed that the show's cancellation was a false rumor. He also confirmed that a second season with 14 episodes are in development.

As for Planet Sheen being cancelled, I don't really care about this. Sheen had sunk in ratings, had bad writing and just...boring. Nick tried giving the show a chance or two and it failed. Can't blame Nick for that. We should've gotten Jimmy Neutron renewed for a fourth season instead of the obnoxious, dim-witted 13-year-old boy whose name starts with a 's' and ends with a 'n'.

Moving on to Fanboy and Chum-Chum also being cancelled, this is clearly careless. While I didn't enjoy Fanboy myself, the show is basically a SpongeBob wannabe. I didn't hate nor like this show, but I thought the early episodes were OK, but from the second part of season one, it just had bad writing. I doubt that a third season will happen because if it happened, Nick wouldn't burn of the rest of the second season episodes daily at 7AM.

Clearly, SpongeBob, The Fairly OddParents, Penguins of Madagascar, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Legend of Korra, Kung Fu Panda, T.U.F.F. Puppy & Robot and Monster are doing well among viewers and putting butts into seats. Five of the shows (Penguins, Kung Fu Panda, T.U.F.F., Korra & Robot and Monster) I mentioned aren't airing any reruns on Nick proper. I said it before and I'll say it again: Newer shows may not do well because Nick hadn't gave it reruns or promotion. I'll personally would like to see daily reruns of Robot and Monster and T.U.F.F. Puppy on Nickelodeon, and since they both are doing reruns on Nicktoons, which I can't afford, this is just really ashamed.

Dynamite Soldier

Sorry for bumping this thread, but here's an updated list for the Nicktoons next year:

CONTINUING:

Let's face it, SpongeBob SquarePants will obviously continue throughout next year and beyond. It still has a handful of S9 episodes, a movie coming in 2015 and a tenth season in production. I say the mighty sponge won't be leaving the network for the next two or three years (unless Nick is willing to order more episodes if the movie becomes a hit).

The Fairly OddParents will still have a lot of S9 episodes throughout next year possibly to promote Fairly Odd Summer. Still unknown if FOP will get a 10th season or not.

Sanjay & Craig will last for at least another year because it got renewed back in September.

TMNT will also last for at least another year because it got renewed for a third season back in February.

Rabbids Invasion just recently got renewed for a 26-episode second season a few weeks ago, so it'll appear throughout next year.

Legend of Korra still has "chapters" 3 and 4 to premiere, despite being screwed by Nick. I think chapter 3 will debut this summer, but this is unconfirmed.

Winx Club will still air episodes next year, but only once a month

UPCOMING:

Breadwinners will premiere in February

Pig Goat Banana Mantis and Bad Seeds will premiere in the Summer/Fall

Get Blake! was supposed to premiere last year, but now I think it will still premiere sometime next year

IN THE LIMBO:

Kung Fu Panda has a bunch of episodes on its wagon. I still think Nick will burn the rest of the episodes daily on an occasion, but it's also a possibly for it to make its move to Nicktoons.

The Penguins of Madagascar still has some episodes, one of which was supposed to air on Nicktoons last week, but didn't. I think Nick is saving those episodes for the PoM movie in 2015.

SHIPPED OFF:

T.U.F.F. Puppy, Robot & Monster and Rocket Monkeys had end their run on Nick and will be exclusively on Nicktoons. All three aired their episodes on that network except PoM, so it's obvious Nick is done with them.

CANCELLED/ENDED:

Monsters vs. Aliens will air its series finale on February 1, 2014. It's been getting so-so ratings, but no fair treatment received by Nick. And the MvA movie and franchise wasn't popular to begin with, so it might as well end...

So after MvA ends, Nick will have 11 (13 if you count PoM and KFP) Nicktoons airing throughout next year (SBSP, FOP, SJC, RI, TMNT, WC, LoK, BW, PGBC, GB!, BS). That's a lot of cartoons if you're asking me. Nick should do what most basic networks do: air different shows every season. That way it'll make it easier to do than program all 11 Nicktoons in one huge weekend. Yikes.

rockorockorocko

Sorry for bumping this thread, but here's an updated list for the Nicktoons next year:

CONTINUING:

Let's face it, SpongeBob SquarePants will obviously continue throughout next year and beyond. It still has a handful of S9 episodes, a movie coming in 2015 and a tenth season in production. I say the mighty sponge won't be leaving the network for the next two or three years (unless Nick is willing to order more episodes if the movie becomes a hit).

The Fairly OddParents will still have a lot of S9 episodes throughout next year possibly to promote Fairly Odd Summer. Still unknown if FOP will get a 10th season or not.

Sanjay & Craig will last for at least another year because it got renewed back in September.

TMNT will also last for at least another year because it got renewed for a third season back in February.

Rabbids Invasion just recently got renewed for a 26-episode second season a few weeks ago, so it'll appear throughout next year.

Legend of Korra still has "chapters" 3 and 4 to premiere, despite being screwed by Nick. I think chapter 3 will debut this summer, but this is unconfirmed.

UPCOMING:

Get Blake! was supposed to premiere last year, but now I think it will still premiere sometime next year

IN THE LIMBO:

Kung Fu Panda has a bunch of episodes on its wagon. I still think Nick will burn the rest of the episodes daily on an occasion, but it's also a possibly for it to make its move to Nicktoons.

The Penguins of Madagascar still has some episodes, one of which was supposed to air on Nicktoons last week, but didn't. I think Nick is saving those episodes for the PoM movie in 2015.

SHIPPED OFF:

T.U.F.F. Puppy, Robot & Monster and Rocket Monkeys had end their run on Nick and will be exclusively on Nicktoons. All three aired their episodes on that network except PoM, so it's obvious Nick is done with them.

CANCELLED/ENDED:

Monsters vs. Aliens will air its series finale on February 1, 2014. It's been getting so-so ratings, but no fair treatment received by Nick. And the MvA movie and franchise wasn't popular to begin with, so it might as well end...

So after MvA ends, Nick will have 11 (13 if you count PoM and KFP) Nicktoons airing throughout next year (SBSP, FOP, SJC, RI, TMNT, WC, LoK, BW, PGBC, GB!, BS). That's a lot of cartoons if you're asking me. Nick should do what most basic networks do: air different shows every season. That way it'll make it easier to do than program all 11 Nicktoons in one huge weekend. Yikes.

Nice post!

- SBSP will get a HUGE boost from the movie, which will be a bonafide blockbuster IMO. It'll create even more buzz and SBSP popularity will sky rocket again. Let's face it, as long as people wanna watch SBSP, it's gonna be on air.
- FOP will likely get half segment premieres as Nick figures our what to do with it. IMO, a lot will ride on the upcoming movie. If the show continues to do as well as it is and the movie as good as the previous two, I wouldn't be too surprised if Nick keeps this show going either.
- TMNT/SJC/RI will be around and honestly, I could see these three breaking the curse and making it to third seasons, possibly more. Like SBSP, TMNT will remain on network as long as the franchise is profitable to the network (it's the number one product for boys merchandise). LoK WILL end after its fourth book - confirmed by creators.
- Also, hard to consider WC a Nicktoon. I almost wanna consider it a special series, because its being treated more like the Mattel franchises that gets monthly airings on the network.
- KFP and PoM will air alongside TMNT Sunday mornings IMO. No way Nick waits til 2015 to air those PoM episodes. The property is dead on Nick.

So really, you can look at the core Nicktoons as SBSP, FOP, TMNT, SJC, RI, BW and LOK (sorta). That's not much. KFP/PoM are washes and the upcoming ones won't factor in until the Fall at the earliest.

SpongeBob is to Nickelodeon what Family Guy is to FOX, so I doubt they would cancel it at this rate unless the second movie flopped like Rugrats Go Wild and the tenth season got extremely low ratings. The fact that not many other shows on Nickelodeon appeal to other people is what helped SpongeBob and FOP stay on the air, something that Rugrats didn't get that boost from because of SpongeBob and FOP's said popularity. SpongeBob's ratings aren't as high as they were in the 2000s but it still gets higher ratings than anything else on the channel.

I doubt TUFF Puppy will be renewed.

ILDC

SpongeBob the Movie 2 is nothing more than a desperation move from Paramount Animation. It's going to underperform hard.

Like SBSP, TMNT will remain on network as long as the franchise is profitable to the network (it's the number one product for boys merchandise).

You sure they won't just keep rebooting it like Transformers?

Also, hard to consider WC a Nicktoon. I almost wanna consider it a special series, because its being treated more like the Mattel franchises that gets monthly airings on the network.

I didn't know Nick still used the Nicktoons brand outside of the network.

Nick Fan 2.0

SBSP will be around at least until 2016, especially at the rate Nick releases new episodes. Like it or not, SBSP is the face of Nickelodeon and the highest-rated show in all of kids TV. While it has fallen considerably the past few years due to the slow release of new episodes, it is still one of the only shows on cable that can hit 3M on repeats. Nick doesn't have the star power to get rid of SpongeBob as of now. Nick has a very potent lineup of animated shows that could replace SpongeBob in the future, but right now, if they cancelled SBSP, the network would tank. With a sizeable number of S9 episodes left and the movie coming up soon, SBSP is going to get a huge boost moving forward. As for TMNT, look for it to around a long time. Nick itself has stated they will keep the show as long as it remains profitable. It is the #1 merchandise seller with boys worldwide and one of the networks' biggest hits. So, its definitely profitable.

kanc

CONTINUING:

UPCOMING:

IN THE LIMBO:

SHIPPED OFF:

CANCELLED/ENDED:

Fairly OddParents season 9 might be the last. Season 10 will not be renewed, according to Butch Hartman and the creators of Fairly OddParents.

^
When/where did he say that?

Anyway, yes, NickFan2.0. Unless a show is strong enough that it can top the sponge, expect an eleventh season of the show.

Nick Fan 2.0

My list of predictions
-SBSP, will continue until at least 2016. Quite possibly longer than that. Truth is, at this point Nick needs SBSP. Until Nick can find their next huge hit, they can't afford to rid with SBSP. And let's face it, it's gonna have to be a Nicktoon. Nick needs to really invest in a new Nicktoon. Not burying them in favor of live-action. Whether its SJC, TMNT, Bad Seeds, or maybe some Nicktoon we have never heard of, in order for SBSP to end, a new Nicktoon is going to have to step up big time.
-FOP is in its last season. I dont see a reason that it needs to continue, especially with the Nicktoon s lineup being as crowded as it is
-SJC will be renewed for a 3rd season for sure. It is currently Nick's #1 chance to replace SBSP. It has a bright future on the network
-TMNT will definitely be renewed for a 4th season. No question there
-RI...I cant say honestly. With its current ratings, its not getting a 3rd season. It has potential so we'll just have to see

DecaTilde

Beauty is only fur deep.
CANCELLED/ENDED:

If MVA doesn't get a second season, how will Insecto make an appearance? "We're not gonna let Insecto die in vein." That's what Link said vowing revenge on Gallaxhar sometime before Insecto's pupation/revival.

ILDC

If MVA doesn't get a second season, how will Insecto make an appearance? "We're not gonna let Insecto die in vein." That's what Link said vowing revenge on Gallaxhar sometime before Insecto's pupation/revival.
If he doesn't pop up some time later in S1, sorry.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts