Current cartoons that will be forgotten

Latest News & Videos

Lord Hater

Retired
Dec 29, 2014
Some cartoons are hits that are remembered forever (Gravity Falls) while others just aren't memorable and are forgotten years later. Which current cartoons do you think that no one will remember in a few years?

Here are my picks:
  • Boyster - generic
  • Pickle & Peanut - yet another dumb "dude bro" comedy with ugly animation
  • Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero - the premise is a bit generic
  • Clarence and Uncle Grandpa - overshadowed by other cartoons on CN and rely on silly humor, which is an "abomination" to fans of dramatic cartoons
  • All of the current Nicktoons except SpongeBob and TMNT - Nickelodeon never promotes or gives airtime to them.

JordanPowers3000

Well, I don't think something being bad necessarily means it'll be forgotten, and I don't think something being forgotten necessarily means it's bad. There are plenty of little known cartoons that actually ended up being very good quality wise, like IFC's 'Out There', UPN's 'Mission Hill' & 'Dilbert', and others. But I must say, you have made very solid choices, even though i like most of the shows.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
One question to ask that can help decide if a cartoon will be forgotten: Will it still be supported by a toy and/or merchandise line in the future? Comedic shows may be able to endure on their own, but action shows without a merchandise line are far more likely to be forgotten in the future.

Well, I don't think something being bad necessarily means it'll be forgotten, and I don't think something being forgotten necessarily means it's bad.
It is helpful to go back to 2006, a decade ago, to gain some perspective. I will use the example of two shows that have been forgotten from Disney: W.I.T.C.H. and Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go. Both shows were well-received in 2006 but are mostly forgotten now in the U.S. That is largely because the programming blocks they aired on disappeared: Jetix on ABC Family disappeared completely in 2006, and Jetix on Toon Disney became Disney XD in 2009. It is much more likely a show will be forgotten if the programming block it aired on disappears. While My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic likely won't be forgotten in the 2020s, I feel the same can't be said for Littlest Pet Shop if Hasbro programming stops airing on Discovery Family.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Austin, Texas
Considering that Harvey Beaks has a strong fanbase dont think it's going to disappear so easily out of people's memory.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Most of @Lord Hater's choices (sans the Nickelodeon stuff) are perfect candidates for this scenario, including The 7D, as well; LPS (2012) definitely fits this criteria with how easily unpopular, bashed, and overshadowed it is.

Dang shame, too - except for Boyster (which is absolute garbage) - most of these overshadowed and unpopular shows (LPS (2012), The 7D, Penn Zero, Clarence, UG (at its best), heck, even Pickle & Peanut... Yeah, come at me!) - I watch and enjoy (for the most part) more than all the "popular" nonsense people obsess over.

Zorak Masaki

May 6, 2002
Visit site
I dont know if any show can really be "forgotten" in the age of the internet. There's so much info out there that even short-lived ones like coconut fred's fruit salad island have their own wikipedia page at least.

Gear3dGryph0n

Aug 20, 2014
Damnation Alley
I dont know if any show can really be "forgotten" in the age of the internet. There's so much info out there that even short-lived ones like coconut fred's fruit salad island have their own wikipedia page at least.
Not exactly forgotten as in completely dropping off the map. We know that's impossible. OP really means the kinds of shows that are unmemorable, that only stick in our memories for a short time. Then we find out about it again years later and we're like "Oh yeah, that exists."

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
Sep 3, 2013
I think the one most likely to fall under this is the Tom and Jerry Show, especially considering it pretty much was forgotten until just before season 2 premiered.

zajgrg

Feb 11, 2016
You all forgot to mention baby/preschool shows(all Nick Jr. shows) which are only going to be remembered by people who have grown with them(maybe not even them will remember).
For an example Dora the Explorer,once a Nick No.2 behind SBSP and in front of Rugrats who have jumped the shark(for me) by 2000,
would probably be forgotten by now if it weren't for spinoffs like Go,Diego,Go and Dora and Friends.
I mean who is gonna remember Bubble Guppies in 20 years,except for people who are preschool now.

lunadraws94

Turning this forum's head since 2016!
Jan 24, 2016
New York
Well, I don't think something being bad necessarily means it'll be forgotten, and I don't think something being forgotten necessarily means it's bad. There are plenty of little known cartoons that actually ended up being very good quality wise, like IFC's 'Out There', UPN's 'Mission Hill' & 'Dilbert', and others. But I must say, you have made very solid choices, even though i like most of the shows.
BTW, "Mission Hill" was a WB, not UPN show.

Speaking of WB animation, I have a feeling that Teen Titans Go! will likely end up being forgotten due to its overexposure and lackluster quality.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
East Northport
originally posted by lunadraws94
Speaking of WB animation, I have a feeling that Teen Titans Go! will likely end up being forgotten due to its overexposure and lackluster quality.
Sorry but even when it ends Teen Titans Go isn't going to be forgotten for two good reasons.

1. People who love the original Teen Titans show are ALWAYS going to compare it to TTG and explain why one really worked for them and one didn't. Because TTG isn't a series like The Batman that was doing enough of it's own things and not really standing out as a unique creation that separated itself from other cartoons with this character. No TTG's style and connection to the original will make it stand out.

2. Sadly due to TTG's popularity it does have the potential to usher in change and a new style for Cartoon Network that will be felt or at the very least be a reminder of the impact the series made when it was popular. Just like Johnny Test which likely would of been forgotten if it stayed a one season Kids WB series here in the US but it being acquired by CN due to later seasons airing and becoming the biggest hit for awhile made it a memorable dud of a show.

Honestly I can't see many shows now being totally forgotten as a good amount of cartoons either liked or dislike do have some sort of massive fanbase which gives them a reason for sticking around. There are some I can't see really lasting the test of time like Pig Goat Banana Cricket but honestly those are far and few between as yeah though some who only pay attention to the most popular cartoons may only notice a few stand outs quite obvious in this period a lot of hit cartoons have found their niche and will stick for quite awhile. Thus will their legacy.

MPetitWPB

Jan 24, 2016
SoFlo City, USA
Do you remember those "New Teen Titans" shorts during DC Nation back then? The animation style was just a chibi version of the 2003 Teen Titans series, and even those were a hell of a lot more enjoyable than this show all right? When I first heard there was going to be a new TT show in 2013, I thought it would be closer to the first series (animation and story-wise) or that it would look EXACTLY like the TT shorts. We got neither one. Really? All I'm trying to say is that if TT Go! just looked like the DC Nation TT shorts, I probably would have gave it a bit of a pass from that standpoint and I could actually watch the damn show.

90'sKid

Jul 17, 2015
Ohio
tvtropes.org
I think that Pickle and Peanut will only be remembered as one of those "dude bro" shows, same for Breadwinners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deebee

Purple Puma
Apr 21, 2016
Earth
I dunno if Uncle Grandpa will end up forgotten. I've only seen bits and pieces of it, so while I can't definitively say whether it has much in the way of plot, it doesn't seem like it does. Despite this, and despite it being mostly just a silly show, it's so colorful, so creative, so out there. While I don't like UG all that much, it kinda seems like something that's too crazy-in-a-good-way to forget. It does it's own thing, and it's own thing is a hell of a thing.

I'd imagine Be Cool, Scooby Doo! could end up forgotten. I haven't heard people talking about it much, its art style is a little unappealing, and it doesn't feel as classic as the original Scooby.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
I once again reinforce than Penn Zero: Part Time Hero (DXD) and Clarence (CN) will be forgotten, sadly. Damn shame; I actually like... NO, love these shows - whatever replaces them later on better be good enough (or even better so that) to make me not completely mourn their losses. Or else!

I can see The Loud House being remembered for quite a long time, provided it continues to get time to shine. Harvey Beaks, while also amazing enough, isn't going to be so lucky, due to its lack of exposure.

Last edited:

90'sKid

Jul 17, 2015
Ohio
tvtropes.org
I think UG will only be remembered for being a strange "on acid" show more than anything. I personally don't care for it, but it has gotten a lot of exposure and is a very polarizing show (ya love it or ya hate it). I don't think it will as remembered as well as say, Adventure Time, which started the "wacky surrealism" trend.

Gatordragon

Teaching and Animating
May 14, 2012
The Land of Flowers
I once again reinforce than Penn Zero: Part Time Hero (DXD) and Clarence (CN) will be forgotten, sadly. Damn shame; I actually like... NO, love these shows - whatever replaces them later on better be good enough (or even better so that) to make me not completely mourn their losses. Or else!
In Penn Zero's case, I say good riddance. A boring as heck show like Penn Zero doesn't deserve to be remembered. Hopefully a more entertaining cartoon with a similar premise comes out and makes people completely forget about that pathetic excuse of a cartoon.

Anyway, I see Mixels as being forgotten because of how little it airs and how sparse new episodes appear. When longer episodes were made, a number of thing changed, making this wacky cartoon even more confusing and inconsistent. It doesn't help that not many know about or follow it.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
I have the feeling that Clarence isn't going to be well remembered. That is quite unfortunate because I think the show is surprisingly touching in many episodes.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

back when the Harvey Weinstein allegations happened i remember saying "well i'm not surprised he's known for being a jerk to certain movies particularly in his treatment in animated movies he acquired and is known for re-cutting live action flims behind director's backs."
They are still airing New Episodes of Max and Ruby???
Most NBCU networks will air movies with limited ads.
Happy 51st Birthday to MCU Ant-Man's Paul Rudd
Happy 24th Birthday to Bunk'd star Miranda May
Happy 22nd Birthday to Bunk'd and Jessie's Peyton R. List