Crossovers that never happened---but should've

hobbyfan

Actually, a neat idea for a crossover would be a time travel plot involving inspector gadget. He could time travel to colonial New England (Liberty's Kids), the 80s (Hulk Hogan's Rock n Wrestling), and the future (C.O.P.S.) with Dr. Claw also somehow being sent back in time as well, working with the villains of those shows, and gadget, penny, and brain thwarting the evil schemes (though liberty's kids doesnt really have any villains, save the redcoats and benedict arnold if they ever did an ep involving him).

Not feasible. DIC no longer owns Gadget (Disney does) or has a license for WWF/E and the C.O.P.S. toys. Once again, we're veering into fanfic.

hobbyfan

10 years ago, Cartoon Network decided to parody "The Blair Witch Project" with "The Scooby-Doo Project". If it was their idea to mark Scooby's 30th anniversary, they were way, way off base.

At the time, Scooby reruns were flooding Cartoon Network's schedule big time. Every hole in the schedule was filled with Scooby, instead of giving the other mystery series (i.e. Clue Club, Goober, Chan Clan) some premium airspace.

See, what I had in mind was to have Scoob & the Mystery Inc. team "disappear" for a few weeks while CN & Warners began laying the groundwork for promoting "Scooby-Doo & the Witch's Ghost", the 2nd DTV in the current series. You'd pre-empt Scooby in favor a Clue Club here, a Butch Cassidy there, and so on for about 4-6 weeks until "Witch's Ghost" could have a "World Premiere" on CN before going to stores in time for the Christmas rush. Unfortunately, the idiots at CN couldn't think of anything that complex.

Fast forward to the What's New series (2002-05). I get that WB preferred to have celebrity guest stars (i.e. Mike Piazza) interact with the MI team, a la the 1972 movie series, but if you really wanted to go in that direction, why not bring in updated versions of the Clue Club, Funky Phantom, et al, reimagined for a modern day audience? While fans are split on What's New, I think we can all agree it was much better than the series that followed (Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue, 2006-8).

I'd previously laid out a scenario that set up Fred & Daphne's seemingly inevitable wedding (and there are tons of fanfics that do have them getting married), with the Clue Club and others among the guests, which also sets up the return of a reformed Scrappy-Doo. I believe that if WB wants to finally pull the trigger on this, they can't make the movie without acknowledging "what Scooby hath wrought", as the saying goes. If Scooby-Doo Where Are You wasn't a hit when it debuted 40 years ago (come September), we wouldn't have had Clue Club, Chan Clan, Funky Phantom, et al. If they could stop insulting the intelligence of the older fans and pay heed to, say, Santayana, they could still get it right.

Eric B

I say ditch the wedding (would mess up the group dynamic to pair two together like that; it's bad enough they want to do it on Archie, and it really started out as a joke on the Johnny Bravo spoof), and Scrappy would not be "reformed"; the movie was either not canonical, or it should be undone as fake.

hobbyfan

I say ditch the wedding (would mess up the group dynamic to pair two together like that; it's bad enough they want to do it on Archie, and it really started out as a joke on the Johnny Bravo spoof), and Scrappy would not be "reformed"; the movie was either not canonical, or it should be undone as fake.

The movie is not part of the canon. It was written to appease the Scrappy-haters on the web with no regard to the vast majority of fans who've followed Scooby from day 1. The wedding of Fred & Daphne is almost inevitable, but if you feel it's a jump the shark moment waiting to happen, I wouldn't argue that point.

The wedding arc in Archie may be nothing more than a sales ploy, IMPO.

cyde

The movie is not part of the canon. It was written to appease the Scrappy-haters on the web with no regard to the vast majority of fans who've followed Scooby from day 1. The wedding of Fred & Daphne is almost inevitable, but if you feel it's a jump the shark moment waiting to happen, I wouldn't argue that point.

The wedding arc in Archie may be nothing more than a sales ploy, IMPO.
Like milking the cash cow. You got to admit, Freddy and the D-gal WERE meant for each other......

Looneytunes

IIRC, it had something to do with Nintendo's wanting to keep Mario exclusive to his own projects, him being Nintendo's premier character and all.

Similarly, none of the 3rd party characters (Simon Belmont, Mega Man, Dr. Wright, the Count, and Dr. Wily) appeared in the Captain N comic book, although Samus Aran (Metroid) was featured. But then, she's property of Nintendo.

That is right, but gander this amazing fact. In the pilot episode, "Kevin in Videoland", Lana tells Kevin, "Why, you are in Videoland. The Ultimate Warp Zone brought you here." Kevin replies, "You mean like Warp Zone 4 in "Super Mario Bros."? Lana then replies, "Something like that. The legend foretold of your coming to help restore freedom to our world." Knowing this, the "Super Mario Bros." characters never appeared in any of the episodes, but it is most certainly not impossible that they could still exist in Videoland. They might very well be considering these quotes, but possibly were just never seen. That is good enough of a reason if any. Additionally, I think this was Jeffrey Scott's way of trying to tell us that even though the "Super Mario Bros." characters never appeared in any of the "Captain N" episodes, they still literally have a place in Videoland. I still wish they were seen, though, that would have been awesome.

Looneytunes/Disneytoons

Radical-X

I'd like to see an Inch High Private Eye/Hong Kong Phooey crossover.

A Pink Panther/Anteater crossover.

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
That is right, but gander this amazing fact. In the pilot episode, "Kevin in Videoland", Lana tells Kevin, "Why, you are in Videoland. The Ultimate Warp Zone brought you here." Kevin replies, "You mean like Warp Zone 4 in "Super Mario Bros."? Lana then replies, "Something like that. The legend foretold of your coming to help restore freedom to our world." Knowing this, the "Super Mario Bros." characters never appeared in any of the episodes, but it is most certainly not impossible that they could still exist in Videoland. They might very well be considering these quotes, but possibly were just never seen. That is good enough of a reason if any. Additionally, I think this was Jeffrey Scott's way of trying to tell us that even though the "Super Mario Bros." characters never appeared in any of the "Captain N" episodes, they still literally have a place in Videoland. I still wish they were seen, though, that would have been awesome.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not the one you have to convince. It was Nintendo's decision to keep Mario out Captain N's adventures, not mine. I'm guessing they felt it was a billing thing; they must've only wanted Mario to be the star and not just one member of "the team".

Looneytunes

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not the one you have to convince. It was Nintendo's decision to keep Mario out Captain N's adventures, not mine. I'm guessing they felt it was a billing thing; they must've only wanted Mario to be the star and not just one member of "the team".

You do have a point, but why would Nintendo want to keep the "Super Mario Bros." world out of Videoland, if Princess Lana replied with "Something like that. The legend foretold of your coming to help restore freedom to our world.", in response to Kevin asking, "You mean like Warp Zone 4 in "Super Mario Bros."? I think Nintendo wanted the "Super Mario Bros." universe to exist in Videoland, but they probably just did not want Mario to make Luigi and the gang to look bad. I don't know.

Additionally, some crossovers suck, but not all of them. Some could also be quite good, but unfortunately are not, but hey at least we have "the Flintstones to the Jetsons" to remember.

Looneytunes/Disneytoons

Last edited by a moderator:

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
As long as Cavey was in the present time (1977 was his debut), a team-up with either Scooby or Dynomutt outside of Laff-A-Lympics would've made sense, but that's something else they didn't think of.

Seeing as how Galaxy Trio (the backup to Birdman) & the FF were on separate networks (NBC & ABC, respectively), a crossover wouldn't have been able to happen then. Since Marvel has since licensed the FF to other hands, it now will never take place.

Not to mention WB owns Marvel competitor DC Comics

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
Smurfs meets gummy bears (although they were produced by different companies (If Time Warner/Disney were have merged).

A Disney/Time Warner merger is about as likely to happen as DC and Marvel comics merging to become 1 über company, which is to say, very unlikely.

Taco Wiz

The Loyal Order of Stupids
Can I mention more modern cartoons?

Dexter's Laboratory and The Powerpuff Girls
Dee Dee + Bubbles = CUTENESS OVERLOAD.

cartoonscartoons

I cant help it, if I'm lucky
Wacky Races + Birdman

I dont know it just sounds cool.

Mario Bros. + Sonic The Hedgehog

Bowser finds a pipe leading to Sonic's unverse then Robotnik and Bowser team-up.

Smurfs + Snorks

The Smurfs search for an underwater treasure and meet the Snorks

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
Dexter's Laboratory and The Powerpuff Girls
Dee Dee + Bubbles = CUTENESS OVERLOAD.

This has already happened, if one counts the comics and the FusionFall manga.

cartoonscartoons said:
Mario Bros. + Sonic The Hedgehog

Bowser finds a pipe leading to Sonic's universe then Robotnik and Bowser team-up.

There have already been 2 Mario/Sonic team-ups (3 if one counts Super Smash Bros. Brawl), but this admittedly sounds more intriguing than another Olympic sports themed title.

Smurfs + Snorks

The Smurfs search for an underwater treasure and meet the Snorks
Robot Chicken already covered this. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny E. McCall

We fight like cats!
Okay, speaking of Disney owning Inspector Gadget. What if Inspector Gadget joined forces with Kim Possible to stop an alliance between Dr. Drakken and Doctor Claw, only to find Shego has taken over Doctor Claw's MAD organization.

(yeah, yeah, I'm tired, that's all I can think of right now)

stephane dumas

Okay, speaking of Disney owning Inspector Gadget. What if Inspector Gadget joined forces with Kim Possible to stop an alliance between Dr. Drakken and Doctor Claw, only to find Shego has taken over Doctor Claw's MAD organization.

(yeah, yeah, I'm tired, that's all I can think of right now)

That's a very good idea. And since Disney acquired Marvel, I could imagine Kim Possible joinning her forces with Nick Fury of SHIELD or other superheroes from Marvel depending with which Marvel vilain Dr. Drakken had teamed (Magneto, Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus, Mandarin,etc...).

Another interesting crossover would be Inspector Gadget with Bonkers, with a mix of the Lucky Piqwel and Miranda eras.

Kenny E. McCall

We fight like cats!
That's a very good idea. And since Disney acquired Marvel, I could imagine Kim Possible joinning her forces with Nick Fury of SHIELD or other superheroes from Marvel depending with which Marvel vilain Dr. Drakken had teamed (Magneto, Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus, Mandarin,etc...).

Another interesting crossover would be Inspector Gadget with Bonkers, with a mix of the Lucky Piqwel and Miranda eras.

I'm thinking that Nick Fury absorbs Global Justice into SHIELD, recruits Kim, Ron Stoppable and Wade into the organization. That's after they recruit Kim's parents into a position in SHIELD's science and technology department.

Inspector Gadget on the other hand gets rebuilt with Stark's Iron Man technology, making him less bumbling and bringing a whole new meaning to the battle cry "Go Go Gadget!"

And, Shego joins Magneto's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, only to get her butt kicked by Polaris and Scarlet Witch, not to mention Quicksilver in the process, leading up to a battle between Team Go and the House of Magnus, not to mention Magneto's other lackeys and the X-Men in the process!

Spider-Man, Black Cat, Prowler, Rocket Racer, Punisher and Daredevil join forces with David Xanatos and the Manhattan Clan to take down the Kingpin, Green Goblin, Venom, Demona and the Sinister Six.

Fantastic Four versus the Incredibles, 'Nuff Said!

Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner, and Princess Ariel, the Little Mermaid: Enchantment under the sea, monkeys!

Avengers/Power Rangers: If they can make an animated movie where Earth Mightiest Heroes team up with every damn incarnation of Power Rangers (Mighty Morphin to RPM) to deal with the time villain Kang, who brings every known Marvel and Power Rangers villain to destroy the two teams, then I'm in, dawg!

X-Men/Disney Fairies: When En Sabah Nur, the being known as Apocalypse, sends his Horsemen to lay waste to the Pixie Village, Queen Clarion has no choice but to send Tinker Bell and Iridessa to the 616 Marvel Universe to meet Charles Xavier and the X-Men. The Merry Mutants, under the leadership of Wolverine, travel to the 818 Disney Universe to help the Disney Fairies take down Apocalypse and the Horsemen before their attacks spread to every Disney Universe sector (even the Wizards of Waverly Place and Halloweentown sectors would be affected, Alex Russo and Agatha Cromwell, watch your back)!

Let me stop before I go into a much darker place, please!

Kenny :sweat:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts