COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

Dr.Pepper

My district has moved the start date to September 8th (from the 2nd) to help teachers and families get better prepared for virtual school. We also lost several teacher in service days throughout the year. Oh well, such is life.....

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Scientists at UCSF have developed a nasal spray, called AeroNabs, that can fight coronavirus. Something we need before the vaccine.

Speaking of "vaccine", the US government has struck a deal with Moderna to make 100 million doses of its COVID vaccine.

Also, the Serum Institute of India may be our best hope in producing enough vaccine to end the pandemic.

Last edited:

Asa

Mainstream media (Variety, Bloomberg, etc.) has been writing like if in-person gatherings, the theaters, entertainment, music, etc. are going away forever after this pandemic. I mean come on, the world went through a devastating pandemic in 1918 and there was an explosion of creative and dynamic music and motion pictures in the 1920's with the rise of jazz and talkies.

While some of the old music venues, theaters, entertainment may sadly close, our world's old normal as a whole will not be going anywhere anytime soon (it's just taking a hiatus), if anything it might return and may get stronger sometime in 2021 and we could all look forward to new innovations in the years to come.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Mainstream media (Variety, Bloomberg, etc.) has been writing like if in-person gatherings, the theaters, entertainment, music, etc. are going away forever after this pandemic. I mean come on, the world went through a devastating pandemic in 1918 and there was an explosion of creative and dynamic music and motion pictures in the 1920's with the rise of jazz and talkies.

While some of the old music venues, theaters, entertainment may sadly close, our world's old normal as a whole will not be going anywhere anytime soon (it's just taking a hiatus), if anything it might return and may get stronger sometime in 2021 and we could all look forward to new innovations in the years to come.

I think that's a pretty optimistic look, mainly on the whole world's old normal. I don't think we can really go back to that old normal for a number of reasons. Even once we aren't in a pandemic, things can't just go back as if it didn't happen. Too much of the world has changed and this virus has drastically affected too many people personally for everything to go back to how it once was prior to this pandemic. Collective trauma doesn't easily disappear either. Given how bad it has been for the U.S., I think expecting things to calm down by next year is sadly too optimistic too. People still refuse to wear masks and demand for schools to reopen for on campus learning despite how it obviously isn't safe now, so I can't really see this as just the old normal going on a hiatus.

That being said, I doubt that in-person events will be gone forever. Once it is safe, I'm sure that people will love to go to cons and concerts again. It's just most likely going to be quite some time before it's safe. I'm less convinced that theaters will survive over time though, especially if the pandemic does last longer than we expect it to. People would love to go to movie theaters again too, but I just don't know if theater chains can financially last through the pandemic. Concert halls might be in a similar kind of tight spot, but I don't think that they require the same kind of constant flow of customers and shows that movie theaters do.

Reactions: Asa

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

Yeah, I don't think they're going away forever but of course, we are indeed heading towards a new normal, after all.

Reactions: Asa

Asa

I think that's a pretty optimistic look, mainly on the whole world's old normal. I don't think we can really go back to that old normal for a number of reasons. Even once we aren't in a pandemic, things can't just go back as if it didn't happen. Too much of the world has changed and this virus has drastically affected too many people personally for everything to go back to how it once was prior to this pandemic. Collective trauma doesn't easily disappear either. Given how bad it has been for the U.S., I think expecting things to calm down by next year is sadly too optimistic too. People still refuse to wear masks and demand for schools to reopen for on campus learning despite how it obviously isn't safe now, so I can't really see this as just the old normal going on a hiatus.

That being said, I doubt that in-person events will be gone forever. Once it is safe, I'm sure that people will love to go to cons and concerts again. It's just most likely going to be quite some time before it's safe. I'm less convinced that theaters will survive over time though, especially if the pandemic does last longer than we expect it to. People would love to go to movie theaters again too, but I just don't know if theater chains can financially last through the pandemic. Concert halls might be in a similar kind of tight spot, but I don't think that they require the same kind of constant flow of customers and shows that movie theaters do.
To me, next year might start off bad but I'm sure things will get better as it progresses.

I'm just happy in-person events will stay around after this crisis ends.

Yeah, I don't think they're going away forever but of course, we are indeed heading towards a new normal, after all.
You're right, we sure are.

Light Lucario

Staff member
To me, next year might start off bad but I'm sure things will get better as it progresses.

I'm just happy in-person events will stay around after this crisis ends.

I love for that to happen myself. I just don't have a lot of faith in that at the moment. If we want a better 2021, then a lot of things will have to change sooner rather than later and I'm just not sure how plausible that is given how wearing a mask is considered a political statement to some people.

In-person events will come back after the pandemic ends, but it's really hard to say how long that will actually be at this rate. People are hoping for a vaccine to be available by next year and while that would be ideal, even that might take longer than we'd like it to.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
The official number of deaths in the USA is close to 170,000.

A New York Times investigation says that before July 25, there was an extra 60,000 deaths that weren't counted, thus tallying it to an estimated 230,000.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I have probably never been so bothered by sunglasses. Face masks have been obligated in parts of my city since July 25th, and during the heat wave we had in the past 2 weeks, many people wore a cap to avoid getting a sun stroke. Some people also wear sunglasses, but then their entire face is hidden.

This is actually illegal in Belgium. You are not allowed to cover your face in public. So yeah, the law contradicts itself during this pandemic.

I wonder if muslims will keep wearing the face mask once the pandemic is over. If you wear a headscarf (hajib) plus a face mask, almost your entire face is hidden, pretty much like a 2020 version of a burqa.

Speaking of muslims, the Feast of the Sacrifice went well in Antwerp and the number of cases there is now finally dropping.

Many schools have organized "summer school" for the last 3 weeks of August. It is not obligatory, there are no tests, no homework and there is more recess than usual.

Asa

The shows must go on, indeed. Keep the traditions coming afloat.

Both the Macy's Thanksgiving parade and the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lightning will see several modifications to prevent COVID-19.

I expect to see the Times Square New Year's Eve celebrations undergo some modifications too (the ball drop will likely still happen).

Light Lucario

Staff member

The shows must go on, indeed. Keep the traditions coming afloat.

Both the Macy's Thanksgiving parade and the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lightning will see several modifications to prevent COVID-19.

I expect to see the Times Square New Year's Eve celebrations undergo some modifications too (the ball drop will likely still happen).

I'm not surprised that they're still planning on these events, but I really don't know how they can modify them for the virus. These events have thousands of people performing and in the crowds every year, so it's going to be tough to make these huge events safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.

Featured Posts