COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.

creator

We (USA) need to be better. The rising number of percent-positive tests in states like Arizona, Florida, and Texas is inexcusable. This isn't a China problem or a mask problem or a politics problem; this is a people problem. We are responsible for letting this virus spread. How many 'last breaths' will it take for us to treat this seriously? Our response has been an embarrassment and I'm disappointed in the (not necessarily political) hierarchy of incompetence that brought us here.

We don't need to look very far to see the devastation of the coronavirus. States like New Jersey and New York lost over 1 in 700 people. That rate might seem insignificant until we realize it amounts to tens of thousands of preventable deaths. I'm horrified by the "it only affects old people" response because it's devoid of humanity. We're so quick to forget that these "old people" were the ones who loved us, nurtured us, and taught us. We've let them down.

I want to make some points especially clear because I'm afraid my post might worry some members. The coronavirus will not be the end of the world. States like New Jersey and New York can safely reopen now because coronavirus prevalence is minimal. States like Arizona, Florida, and Texas will follow a similar trajectory after they control the spread. As a country we will rebound, but the cost is the loved ones we leave behind.

Last edited:

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Numbers are still chaotically rising in Brazil.

Now Tokyo has hit 107 cases, the highest since the lifting of the state of emergency, mostly linked to nightclubs.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

CartoonLover2604

Jerk, Dinger, Bling blong.
We (USA) need to be better. The rising number of percent-positive tests in states like Arizona, Florida, and Texas is inexcusable. This isn't a China problem or a mask problem or a politics problem; this is a people problem. We are responsible for letting this virus spread. How many 'last breaths' will it take for us to treat this seriously? Our response has been an embarrassment and I'm disappointed in the (not necessarily political) hierarchy of incompetence that brought us here.

We don't need to look very far to see the devastation of the coronavirus. States like New Jersey and New York lost over 1 in 700 people. That rate might seem insignificant until we realize it amounts to tens of thousands of preventable deaths. I'm horrified by the "it only affects old people" response because it's devoid of humanity. We're so quick to forget that these "old people" were the ones who loved us, nurtured us, and taught us. We've let them down.

I want to make some points especially clear because I'm afraid my post might worry some members. The coronavirus will not be the end of the world. States like New Jersey and New York can safely reopen now because coronavirus prevalence is minimal. States like Arizona, Florida, and Texas will follow a similar trajectory after they control the spread. As a country we will rebound, but the cost is the loved ones we leave behind.
Very well said. I almost feel embarrassed to have to live in a nation where people only seemly care about themselves rather than others. I think one of the reasons why America isn’t taking this very seriously is probably because we haven’t had a pandemic this bad now in decades and my guess is people were (and most likely are still) under the mind set that “pandemics were a thing of the past and coronavirus is just something the government is trying to control us.” Again I could be wrong on this but it’s just a guess.

Last edited:

Dr.Pepper

Another thing I don’t get is why they don’t automatically test for antibodies during a blood test. My dad had some routine blood work a few weeks ago and when he asked for an antibody test they told him that was extra. My brother was in the hospital last weekend because of a stroke and had a million different blood tests, and never tested for coronavirus antibodies. Maybe this varies by state.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Brazil has topped 1.5 million cases and 60.000 deaths. Brazil now has more than half the cases the USA has, at close to 2.8 million, yet has less than half the deaths, topping 130.000.

creator

Another thing I don’t get is why they don’t automatically test for antibodies during a blood test. My dad had some routine blood work a few weeks ago and when he asked for an antibody test they told him that was extra. My brother was in the hospital last weekend because of a stroke and had a million different blood tests, and never tested for coronavirus antibodies. Maybe this varies by state.

It would be nice, but it's a money issue. Doctors and hospitals need to buy special (expensive) machines for coronavirus antibody testing so they charge patients extra when they use the machines.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
This weekend we went past 11 million cases worldwide in less than a week. Death rates are still low and more than half of the infected so far have been recovered.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I know someone who used to live in the USA and he thinks the virus could hit the USA harder than Europe because many buildings in the USA have airconditioning. I wonder what you guys think of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts